MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Echoes of the Ice Age (Pre-History)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ishmael

In: Toronto

There are no "plates."
Ishmael

Well well.. Look who has a tradition of raising and racing pigeons---and harnessing Darwinian evolutionary systems to select for those best at finding distant land from the ocean.

Taiwanese Pigeon Racing
aurelius

Some may express skepticism that such a dramatic change is possible. I encourage those who doubt to consult this document.

This would certainly offer an explanation of many a catastrophe (including destruction of a possible Atlantean civilisation, sudden extinction of megafauna) and would make apparent cultural diffusion between the Old and New World a doddle. It may have caused the old Laurentide Ice Cap to melt. Orthodoxy says Europeans changed from hunter-gatherers to pastoralists around this time.

Charles Hapgood (in his Path Of The Pole) estimated the last pole shift was around 10,000 BC when it left Hudsons Bay (around 60 degrees N) for its present position. Prior to the movement, the Equator would been exactly where your hypothesis would like it to be, running somewhere through Peru as 'Position 3' on this link shows:

http://www.viewzone.com/changingpoles22.html
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Well well.. Look who has a tradition of raising and racing pigeons---and harnessing Darwinian evolutionary systems to select for those best at finding distant land from the ocean.

I should like to know how old this tradition is. The Taiwanese after all have a track record of adopting (modern) Western fads. One interesting point is the relish with which the Taiwanese regard the overwhelming demise of their birds. A stark contrast with western pigeon-fanciers who treat them as pets and are heartbroken when they die/disappear.

This disdain for animals is a Chinese trait of course -- as is western anthropomorphism - but I wonder which version is truly more 'Megalithic'?
Ishmael

aurelius wrote:
Charles Hapgood (in his Path Of The Pole) estimated the last pole shift was around 10,000 BC when it left Hudsons Bay (around 60 degrees N) for its present position. Prior to the movement, the Equator would been exactly where your hypothesis would like it to be, running somewhere through Peru....

Well you have sent me this morning on a real voyage of discovery. I came across some quite interesting information from the link you provided. I only wish I had the time to do all the reading I want on these subjects!
Some of the greatest geologists of the time, including J.C.Maxwell and Sir George Darwin (son of the famous Charles Darwin), considered this possibility, and decided that the stabilizing effect of the equatorial bulge was so great that no conceivable force originating within the Earth could make it shift on its axis, except for the collision with another planet.
--The Polar Shift

Trying to find a reference to this claim of George Darwin, I stumbled on the following claim (and look what city comes up once more)...
Later in this manuscript, we will discuss the Land of Megalithic Cities of an Ancient Era. We will ask the question now, is this same mechanism, cosmic blasts, global earthquakes and polar shifts that we see today, may be what occurred and raised the megalithic city of Tianhuanaco in the Andean uplift of Bolivia two miles high in the sky? This city has an ancient calendar which describes a solar year of 290 days in an era when the moon was an independent exterior planet rotating in a 10:1 ratio of a 29 day moon rotation.
-- As in the Days of Noah”, the Earth Tilted and became Inclined and Sudden Destruction came upon the Earth – Part One; Prelude to a Pole Shift?

More detail...
The strange thing, this calendar does not match our modern calendar or 365 ¼ days. Eventually published in a book, The Calendar of Tiahuanaco in 1956, Professor Schindler-Bellamy with an American astronomer, Dr. Allen, recorded that the solar year at Tiahuanaco came from a planet revolving more quickly as the solar year was 290 days, divided into 12 “twelfths” of 94 days each, plus 2 intercalary days.

It was also determined that at this era, the present moon was not yet a companion of our earth but was still an independent exterior planet. There was also another satellite moving around our earth then, rather close, 5.9 terrestrial radii, center to center, compared that our present moon is at 60 radii. It moved quickly around our globe, rose in the west and set in the east like Mar’s satellite Phobos. The latitude of Tianhuanaco was then 10 degrees compared to the present 16.27, indicated a crustal shift of 6.27 degrees.
--Evidence of Catastrophes in the Natural World

And here is the book that details these claims: The calendar of Tiahuanaco;: A disquisition on the time measuring system of the oldest civilization in the world. Out of print now and sadly, quite expensive.

aurelius

Well you have sent me this morning on a real voyage of discovery. I came across some quite interesting information from the link you provided. I only wish I had the time to do all the reading I want on these subjects!

Thank you, I'm glad I have been of some use on this forum at last...will have a closer look at your points when I get home from work.

I'm not quite as pro-orthodox as some here may think, I've had some flirtations with alternative geographical/anthropological theories in the past but they have not proven to be reliable (e.g. Von Daniken) so I have to keep testing them in my own mind with counter-arguments before becoming convinced.

I may still get chucked out of this rather stimulating forum for not being original or AE-ist enough...
aurelius

the solar year was 290 days, divided into 12 “twelfths” of 94 days each, plus 2 intercalary days.

Does not compute. Surely three twelfths?
Ishmael

The people who posted that info are not its originators. Good catch though. Three 12ths of 94 days doesn't make a lot of sense either. Need the original book.
aurelius

Ishmael wrote:
The people who posted that info are not its originators. Good catch though. Three 12ths of 94 days doesn't make a lot of sense either. Need the original book.

12 x 24 day months =288 plus two intercalary days =290

Two errors corrected and it makes sense. But equally we could assume the Earth was slowed in its course but with longer days.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I may still get chucked out of this rather stimulating forum for not being original or AE-ist enough.

You may get chucked out for false modesty. And the other two things.
aurelius

I should like to know how old this tradition is. The Taiwanese after all have a track record of adopting (modern) Western fads. One interesting point is the relish with which the Taiwanese regard the overwhelming demise of their birds. A stark contrast with western pigeon-fanciers who treat them as pets and are heartbroken when they die/disappear.

I've just looked into this and found that Animism - the view that "non-human entities—such as animals, plants, and inanimate objects—possess a spiritual essence" (Wiki) was the predominant religion in Taiwan until the 17th Century. Thereafter, Buddhism became the primary religion and still holds this position today.

The behaviour of the people running these feats of pigeon endurance so that they can breed 'super pigeons' for racing and profit

http://www.silvio-co.com/pigeons/taiwan.htm

is totally at odds with these religions, e.g.

http://www.buddhistdoor.net/features/perspectives-the-buddhas-law-among-the-birds

So, I would suggest that this disgusting practise is more likely drawn indirectly, and relatively recently, from some low Western influence. (The police are dealing with it.)

Interesting to read from the second link that:

“The Lord Buddha has said: In the language of angels, of serpents, of fairies, in the speech of the demons, the talk of the humans, in them all I’ve expounded the Dharma’s deep teachings, and in any tongue that a being may grasp them.”

...which suggests something Megalithic?
Ishmael

aurelius wrote:
So, I would suggest that this disgusting practise is more likely drawn indirectly, and relatively recently, from some low Western influence.

Are you actually being serious?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

So, I would suggest that this disgusting practise ....

If you force yourself not to parade your emotions here in front of us, you will find gradually you won't parade them in front of your own self either. Leaving room for wisdom. If you read today's two extracts from the Unreliable History you will see where this can take you. Which may decide you not to embark on the journey. Wisdom, as your Lord Buddha once observed, is not for the unwary.
Ishmael

Religions always rail against the prevailing vices of the peoples from which they spring.
Ishmael

For the record, I wasn't passing any judgment on the Taiwanese. Ironically, I came across this video because a friend posted it to Facebook in moral outrage.

I just found it absolutely fascinating!

Obviously, one can race pigeons without taking them thousands of miles out to sea and releasing them in such a way as to guarantee that the vast majority of them will die. However, such practices have a clear benefit to people desperate to raise birds capable of saving human lives.

If you are lost at sea and need to find land, you want to know that the pigeons you have on board come from a long lineage of successful race winners, bred only with fellow survivors.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Jump to:  
Page 6 of 9

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in