MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The Ancient Global Positioning System (Pre-History)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aurelius

Ishmael wrote:
Mary washes the feet of Christ. Christ washes the feet of the disciples. What direction is the foot?

West, paddling in the Bay of Biscay by the look of it...
Ishmael

In: Toronto

On the other other hand...

Assuming the maps are genuine, placing them in their proper evolutionary position, in accordance with the rule, nothing ever gets worse, forces an identical repositioning of the civilization responsible for the maps. This may be the correct solution to the riddle.
Ishmael

Christ's feet are West. That means his body is aligned with the central pathway of the sun; his head in the East. This is the Christ line. The Christ line I have long suspected was aligned precisely this way.

But I realize now that this makes the arms of the crucifix right angle markers. They mark the right angle in relation to the central solar pathway. Christ's arms, in fact, can be angled (set at an angle---like angel wings) to find any direction in relation to the central pathway---and this "angling" off of the central solar pathway is exactly what I have long suspected.

The Christ line is the most important line in the heavens.

But second to it is the John Line -- or One Line. This line I have long suspected to have been associated with the angle of the Sun on the Feast Day of St. John. But I never looked it up! (I'm always too godamned lazy).

Well turns out that Feast Day of St. John is the 27th December, just five days out from the modern reckoning of the winter solstice of December 22nd. This John Line or Juan Line, is the first pathway traced by the Sun at the beginning of the year.

BINGO!

St. John has a second feast day. It's for the other St. John (there's always pairs). The feast day of John the Baptist is the 24th of June, which is just three days out from the modern reckoning of the summer solstice, June 21st. That means that the two John Lines (One Lines) mark the outer-most pathways traced by the Sun across the sky.

Incidentally, it's these lines that I believe inspired the naming of so many early astronomers, who are known to us be the name John or Johannes. The name John was synonymous with the art of astronomy.

Incidentally, Easter always falls sometime between Early April and late March. This loosely coincides with the vernal equinox of March 20-21.

But why doesn't it follow precisely?

The Moon must have been a big factor in the ancient system of navigation. That's what I'm missing.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

It seems blindingly obvious to me (thanks Auro) that stone circles are a early form of compass rose or portolan chart.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compass_rose

wiki wrote:
A compass rose, sometimes called a windrose, or Rose of the Winds, is a figure on a compass, map, nautical chart, or monument used to display the orientation of the cardinal directions—North, East, South, and West—and their intermediate points. It is also the term for the graduated markings found on the traditional magnetic compass. Today, the idea of a compass rose is found on, or featured in, almost all navigation systems, including nautical charts, non-directional beacons (NDB), VHF omnidirectional range (VOR) systems, global-positioning systems (GPS), and similar equipment.
Ishmael

All over Europe (and apparently, in at least one place in America) there are "Templar" churches with eight sides. It appears to me that these churches were used as observatories to assist in navigation in some way (likely by fixing the date and star alignments at specific latitudes).

The presence of a magnetic rock inside the Newport Tower in America, however, suggests they might also have had some role in calibrating early compasses perhaps?
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Of course orthodoxy has concentrated on sun rituals totally overlooking that most circles are situated on windy coastlines.
Ishmael

Wile E. Coyote wrote:
Of course orthodoxy has concentrated on sun rituals totally overlooking that most circles are situated on windy coastlines.

Ok. This is new!

So you think the stone circles somehow gauge winds? Why would a stone circle be necessary? Why not a windsock?
aurelius

Ishmael wrote:
Mick Harper wrote:
Nobody seems to have leapt to the conclusion that I (and perhaps most people here) would which is that portolans (at least the ones he is talking about) are modern forgeries.

Exactly my thought.

Well we may learn more about the Carta Pisane, because a cartographical skeptic is has asked for the thing to be Radio-Carbon dated by the Departement des Cartes et Plans at the BnF Richelieu-Louvois Bibliotheque.
aurelius

Mick Harper wrote:
But we all know there was resistance to the education of the masses even in Victorian times.

You're at it again. Who was doing the resisting? You say 'the establishment'. Go on, tell us who these people were? I thought the Victorians rather had a passion for educating the lower orders.

This would be harmless enough if that was the extent of it but it isn't. People, historians and policymakers included, draw all kinds of conclusions on the basis of good and bad rather than the facts of the case. You must start to take on your own particular set of demons.

I take your general point, Mick. And it's a fair one as far as the maps are concerned.

What I had at the back of my mind when I was referring to the Victorian establishment was this:

When the Ewart and Brotherton, the proponents of what became the Public Libraries Act 1850 (establishing the principle of free public libraries), the major parliamentary arguments against the Bill included

"...libraries would become sites of social agitation...this issue was linked to the common concern that extending education to the lower orders of society would lead to libraries becoming working class 'lecture halls' which would give rise to unhealthy agitation..."

(Wiki article on the Public Libraries Act)

This was still in Victorian times. Some of the establishment at least were resisting the education of the masses.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Well, that's worth knowing but I think overall your scouring of Wiki for such meagre results should change your mind on the general proposition. Changing your mind is the most difficult art to master.

because a cartographical skeptic has asked for the thing to be Radio-Carbon

Well, best of luck with that. Since radio carbon testing costs quite a lot of money only fair sized institutions can afford it and they rarely (ever?) spend money on a project that would make themselves look silly.

I asked for Beowulf manuscripts to be carbon dated in THOBR. But only to make a point. It would need an Act of Parliament to get such a thing done. When it's going the other way things move quicker. For example when Sweden wanted the Ufillas Bible (I think it was) to be carbon dated to 'prove' the ancientness of the Gothic language, it was done toot sweet with the predictable result -- it was ancient!
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Jump to:  
Page 3 of 3

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in