MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Where are all the Neanderthals? (Pre-History)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 27, 28, 29  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ishmael

In: Toronto

My guess: The tool design matches that found elsewhere in association with Neanderthal remains.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Notice the evidence was found at Dartford, Kent (where Mick and Keith come from but there is no connection except the three of us were always... blah ...blah...). As I keep pointing out everything is found at the edge of the ice sheets (which reached Dartford precisely) because everything to the north has been destroyed by the ice.
Grant

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2010/mar/24/new-human-species-siberia?intcmp=239

Yet another nail in the coffin of "Out of Africa."
Mick Harper
Site Admin

The article merits some further comment

The finding suggests an undocumented human species lived alongside Neanderthals and early modern humans in parts of Asia as recently as 30,000 years ago.

Notice the phrase "as recently". In fact the earliest modern humans whenever they get scientifically dated turn out to be no more than 30-40,000 years old.

Fragments of the finger bone were recovered from Denisova cave in the Altai mountain range that straddles Russia, Mongolia, China and Kazakhstan.

In other words we are asked to believe that this appallingly inhospitable place now was Shangri-la in the middle of an Ice Age!

The cave was occupied by humans for 125,000 years and a variety of stone tools and bones have been recovered.

This is real archaeo-speak. Can you imagine a given cave being occupied for 125,000 years? And if they've got bones that are 125,000 years old....well, why aren't they telling us how old they are? The stone tools of course cannot be dated scientifically so why not give the impression that this new strain of Modern Man has been around for 125,000 years.

Scientists at the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology in Leipzig, Germany, ran genetic tests on the bone fragments and were stunned to find it did not match the DNA profile of Neanderthals or early modern humans. "It really looked like something I had never seen before. It was a sequence which is similar in some ways to humans, but still quite distinct," Krause said. It is the first time a new type of human has been identified from DNA alone.

The reason that this is dynamite is that Out-of-Africa has Modern Humans coming out c 90,000 year BP so to have a quite different strain established c 30,000 BP only 60,000 years later is....well, since orthodoxy currently claims it can count time by the differences, the theory will either now be confirmed or be blown out of the water. Because lookee here

By comparing the DNA with sequences from Neanderthals and modern humans, Krause's team concluded that modern humans shared a common ancestor with the creature a million years ago. Humans and Neanderthals diverged from an ancestor that lived 500,000 years ago.

If true this is amazing, even by orthodoxy's standards since Neanderthal lived until about 30,000 years ago. Half a million years of co-existence....who'dathoughtit?

The bone fragments were recovered from a layer of rock in the cave dated to between 48,000 and 30,000 years ago.

In other words they would have been dated to 48,000 if the bleedin science hadn't come along....

Chris Stringer, head of human origins at the Natural History Museum in London, said: "This new DNA work provides an entirely new way of looking at the still poorly understood evolution of humans in central and eastern Asia."

"Poorly understood" is code for "Bleedin' hell, this rocks the boat and no mistake." Mr Stringer is not normally somebody who expresses anything less than crushing certainty.
N R Scott

In: Middlesbrough

The study that found that we have between 1 and 4% Neanderthal DNA used a sample of only 5 people. If they can find someone with 4% in a sample of 5 what are they going to find when they start taking larger samples? Are there people out there with 5%, 6%, 10% Neanderthal DNA?

If two people both have 4% Neanderthal DNA is it the same 4% or a different 4%? If those two then have a child could it end up even more Neanderthal than its parents?
Pulp History

In: Wales

Have you not seen Anne Widdecombe? 90% methinks....

In: The West Country

I remember reading that the Neanderthal man had a larger brain size than today's man.

Just a thought about White/Caucasian civilisations, did you know that the first race of Japan were White/Caucasian called the Ainu and that the present type Japanese were a much later invading force. The Ainu were very hairy, had very thick long hair and full beards which they never cut. There are still many thousands of these mixed Ainu/Japanese living in the remote outer Japanese islands.

Another curious event which was documented some years ago in the Gobi Desert in China. A grave was found which revealed five White/Caucasian fully clothed individuals ( a family? ) who were carbon dated to 3500 years ago, the completely dry, sterile desert preserving them and their clothes completely. The astounding thing about them was that the largest male was over six and a half feet tall ( 6 foot 8 if I remember correctly ) and a female companion nearly six foot tall! Giants, truly giants in that age where someone five foot three to six inches tall would have been the norm. They were very slim, on the skinny side, gaunt looking, maybe they had starved to death on that journey across the desert.

I have seen the pictures some time ago in a second hand book I bought, not too sure where it is at the moment though, probably buried under a pile of books that are numerous in my abode right now.

Just a thought, do you recall the race of learned giants who brought civilisation to the Middle East as mentioned in the Bible?
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

@Britanicus

Are you thinking of The Mummies of Urumchi?
By Elizabeth Barber
Britanicus

Hi there Boreades,

No, the book was not by Elizabeth Barber, although I have just looked it up and ordered a copy for one pence!
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Please see the Linguistics.Tokharian thread.
Britanicus

Will do, Boreades.
N R Scott

N R Scott wrote:
we have between 1 and 4% Neanderthal DNA

Otzi the Iceman apparently had 5.5% Neanderthal DNA.

http://www.metafilter.com/119062/Otzi-was-More-Neanderthal-than-You
Mick Harper
Site Admin

What piffle. In order to keep faith with the Out-of-Africa theory, how do they account for the Neanderthal DNA since the Neanderthals were never in Africa? Oh, by interbreeding with Neanderthals in Europe of course even though the idea of being able to interbreed with these 'people' -- or even wanting to -- is faintly ludicrous.

In any case all you have to do is examine current Africans and count their Neanderthal genes. They shouldn't have any if this is true. Let me know when this happens.

In case you were wondering the Neanderthal DNA genes come from the common ancestor of us both.
N R Scott

Mick Harper wrote:
In case you were wondering the Neanderthal DNA genes come from the common ancestor of us both.

You're probably perfectly right about this. I guess it is the most sensible explanation ..although also the most boring. A Cambridge study says the exact same thing.

Our work shows clearly that the patterns currently seen in the Neanderthal genome are not exceptional, and are in line with our expectations of what we would see without hybridisation.

http://www.cam.ac.uk/research/news/doubts-about-whether-modern-humans-and-neanderthals-interbred

Mick Harper wrote:
the idea of being able to interbreed with these 'people' -- or even wanting to -- is faintly ludicrous.

I'm not so sure about this though. In fact, I came across this story in the papers this morning.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/06/26/asia/handsome-gorilla-shabani/

I'm not sure how real the story is, but you may notice the Gorilla in question has Chad's eye whites - no doubt why he looks so human.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Plenty of people like having sex with animals, I'm moderately partial to it myself, but I never worry whether the chicken will get pregnant.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 27, 28, 29  Next

Jump to:  
Page 28 of 29

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in