MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Meta-Skepticism: Was Jesus Story Written Middle Ages? (History)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ishmael

In: Toronto

John, as we have established elsewhere, is the traditional name for the first born.

Interestingly, John is born before his cousin, Jesus.
N R Scott

In: Middlesbrough

Great thread.

So is Jesus simply a symbolic everyman?

Reminds me of something I read on-line awhile back. Some guy was pointing out the similarity between the name Jesus and the French Je suis - I am the resurrection, I am the life. Je suis Christ. Sounds like something a character in a play would say, or a candidate in an initiation ceremony.

Incidentally, Je suis can also mean I follow.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Ishmael wrote:
John the Baptist

This is I believe the painting known as Bacchus, it is believed to be painted over a Da Vinci type John the Baptist? So the artist (s), forger, whatever is overpainting a Christian figure and making him pagan

I could be wrong....

Here is the Wiki link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacchus_%28Leonardo%29
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Re the painting known as Bacchus, or St.John, it's traditional in topics of this kind to start including copies of the image with triangles and circles drawn over them. To prove, err, something.
Wile E. Coyote

N R Scott wrote:
Great thread.

So is Jesus simply a symbolic everyman?

online wrote:

Gest..."famous deed, exploit; story, romance," c.1300, from Old French geste "action, exploit, romance, history (of celebrated people or actions)," from Latin gesta "actions, exploits, deeds, achievements," neuter plural of gestus, past participle of gerere "to carry on, wage, perform," of unknown origin. Cf. jest.
N R Scott

Jesus & Jester. Very nice!

Easter???

Linking gest with history - is that the meaning of Yesterday?
Wile E. Coyote

N R Scott wrote:
is that the meaning of Yesterday?

Wish I had thought of that.

Mentally I predicted you would go with Jest and Joust. You came up with something much better.

Double damn!

Err... can I steal that one?

N R Scott wrote:

Linking gest with history

N R Scott wrote:

Jesus & Jester.

Yes you are right. That is the idea.

Still it is the Maestros thread.
Boreades

Look, they're pointing at each other again. With triangles. "Golden triangle" this time.

Ref: http://mfahouston.blogspot.co.uk/2011/11/arts-of-europeblaffer-collection.html

Ref: http://www.seshat.ch/home/gia.htm
David

In: Somerset

Boreades wrote:
Look, they're pointing at each other again. With triangles. "Golden triangle" this time.

Is that cherub on the left holding an old fashioned floppy disk in its left hand? Is this evidence that modern technology was known in the middle ages?
Boreades

It looks more like a smart phone to me.
N R Scott

The Real Meaning of the Holy Trinity

Once you accept that Christ is an archetypal everyman the concept of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost becomes much more clear and logical.

...it represents God, Man and the Soul.

Normally the idea of the Holy Ghost seems vague and nonsensical, but in reality it is what it says it is ....a ghost. The bit left over after you die, the soul. Likewise the alternative term Holy Spirit.

One of the early debates dealing with this in the early church was the debate about whether Jesus was created at birth by God or whether he existed from the beginning with God. Again this seems like a pointless theological discussion, irrelevant to the average person, but when you substitute Jesus for man in general it becomes much more important.

Once you posit the idea that man has a soul that survives after death, the obvious next question is where was this eternal soul before birth - a difficult question for anyone hoping to live forever.

In this light the concept of the Holy Trinity comes to represent the basic religious questions we all ask - is there a God? do we have a soul? is death the end of us?
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Why, in this painting, are there three Jesus' (Jesuses? Jesusi? Jesi?)

BTW- Not a rhetorical question. I honestly haven't a clue!
Tilo Rebar

In: Sussex

A curious painting. Perhaps the artist wished to create some sort of strange family portrait?

There are three 'brothers' of similar age wearing dark blue tunics overtly (triplets?), with two more concealing theirs. There also seem to be two females present. Interestingly the Jesus myth from the bible claims he had four brothers and two sisters.

More weird is why they all seem to be adoring the Burger King Whopper being held by Jesus, and what is the purpose of the small white pyramid displayed on the coffee table at the front of the picture?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

That blue is known as Virgin Mary blue so it may be that they are her sons.
Wile E. Coyote

Fan worship can innocently extend to impersonation.

There again, just maybe, you can read the painting as a comic masterpiece, the two impersonators are really taking the piss out of the so called sacred one......
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 4

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in