MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Meta-Skepticism: Was Jesus Story Written Middle Ages? (History)
Reply to topic Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Was the Gospel Written in the Middle Ages?

For some time, I have suspected that the Protestant Reformation is to be identified with the birth of Christianity. These two events are merely the same story told twice.

Protestantism is the Jesus movement. The Character Jesus may have been invented by the contemporaneous Jesuit Order, but it was Protestantism that advanced Jesus, the Son of God, as the central pillar of a new, evangelical Theology. Protestantism's primary theological source was the work of the apostle Paul, who likely lived not long before Martin Luther.

Martin Luther himself appears in Catholic History as the Pauline disciple, Marcion, transported back to the early Christian epoch, 50-150 AD. Of course, the early Christian epoch is where he belongs. But the early Christian epoch is actually somewhere around 1450-1550AD.

All the Christian martyrs of the apparent first and second century, were indeed executed by "Romans"---but these were Romans of the Holy Roman Empire.

Jesus, as the hero of the Gospel stories, did not gain prominence within Catholicism until incorporated as part of the reform package instituted during the Counter-Reformation, in which the Jesuits played a leading role. The Catholic Bible was composed during this period.
Ishmael

According to the Gospels, Jesus was tried by the Jewish religious authorities on a charge of heresy. He was found guilty. However, he was not executed by the Jewish authorities. Instead, the Sanhedrin, calling Jesus a criminal, demanded his death from the secular authorities.

In the Gospel of John, the Jewish leaders claim they lack the authority to execute Jesus.
They answered and said to him, "If this Man were not an evildoer [criminal], we would not have delivered Him to you." So Pilate said to them, "Take Him yourselves, and judge Him according to your law." The Jews said to him, "We are not permitted to put anyone to death," to fulfill the word of Jesus which He spoke, signifying by what kind of death He was about to die.
John 18: 31-32
Incredibly, the Catholic Inquisition operated under the very same rules.

The religious authorities of the middle ages lacked the power to execute those they condemned of Heresy. Instead, those convicted were handed over to the secular "Roman" authorites and these "Romans" put the heretics to death in accordance with secular laws.

Is it likely that the precise relationship between the Jewish Sanhedrin and the Roman state would be duplicated 1500 years on in the relationship between the Catholic Church and the Holy Roman state?

I say no.

I say it is more likely that the Gospel Story was composed at the time of the Inquisition. The trial of Jesus is modeled upon the real experience of many Protestant Martyrs.
Ishmael

John the Baptist

Some say that the pointing reference is to indicate that "there is one who comes after me."
Ishmael

John Calvin

John Knox

John Huss

John Wycliffe
Grant

Is it likely that the precise relationship between the Jewish Sanhedrin and the Roman state would be duplicated 1500 years on in the relationship between the Catholic Church and the Holy Roman state?

Doesn't this happen in every society? Even the Gestapo and the KGB couldn't just kill people, officially anyway. They had to follow due process.
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

This Finger Pointing seems like it might be a clue.

I knew it! The Simpsons is a conspiracy as well! (ROFL)
Ishmael

Hey. Boreades. I didn't know you were an asshole. Thanks for self-identifying.
Ishmael

What strikes me here, as it has also with the early history of astronomy, is the inordinate preponderance of "Johns" associated with the beginning of the movement.
Boreades

Ishmael wrote:
Hey. Boreades. I didn't know you were an asshole. Thanks for self-identifying.

The clue was in my avatar footer.
In: Continent
Boreades

Ishmael wrote:
What strikes me here, as it has also with the early history of astronomy, is the inordinate preponderance of "Johns" associated with the beginning of the movement.

In a light-hearted manner, I just provided you with the next clue.

George Washington pointing.
A member of St. John's Lodge No. 1.
Ishmael

Yes. The name "John" means "one." The idea occurred to me that, therefore, the finger might not be pointing at all, but rather indicating a number.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Ishmael wrote:

John........one.....young?

The young one (that overturns the old order).
Ishmael

What does "young" have to do with John?
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Ishmael wrote:
What does "young" have to do with John?

Well they all look to be linked to me.

Online wrote:

EVAN

masc. proper name, Welsh form of John, form influenced perhaps by Welsh ieuanc "young man" (cognate of Latin juvenis), from Celtic *yowanko-, from PIE *yeu- "vital force, youthful vigor" (see young).

Jones is a very common Welsh surname.

In many sheep counting systems yan the young vigorous sheep leads the way... tan tither

Couldn't swear it on the bible. In fact I have taken the bible out of the name......
Ishmael

Wile E. Coyote wrote:
In many sheep counting systems yan...leads the way... tan tither

Yes. Because yan mean one or first.

John = Yan = Juan = One

Young has nothing to do with it.
Reply to topic Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 4

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in