MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Megalithic Jack & Cut Throat Jake....... (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Pilot Episode

Jack O

Jack O Kent, for instance was a famous wizard for throwing immoveable stones around the Welsh border. but also finding himself entombed in various church walls, a common fate for standing stones.

The Megalithic Empire Harper & Vered. Pg118.

Sounds like that our Megalithic Jack, is a very important fellow In fact he is a Hero. He gambles against the Devil and outsmarts giants.. He creates the Megalithic landscape. Wow. Perhaps he even built the circles?

Wiki wrote:

In England, Wales and Northern Ireland, "Jack" was the most frequently used male name for the years 2003-2007.[7][8][9] The high status of Jack as a male given name is a recent phenomenon

Damn.Sorry I meant to say...Low status ....that Jack fellow.

Wiki wrote:

Jack /ˈdʒaek/ is a male given name, although in very rare cases it can be used as a female given name,[1] and sometimes as a surname. In English it is traditionally used as the diminutive form of the name John, though it is also often given as a proper name in its own right.
The name Jack is unique in the English language for the frequency of its use as a verb and a noun for many common objects and actions; and also its use in many compound words and phrases: jack-of-all-trades, jackknife, jackpot, jack tar, hijack, union jack, jack straw (scarecrow), apple jack, lumberjack, jackhammer, jackdaw, jack o'lantern, jack-off, jack-in-the-box, jack of clubs (playing cards), etc. The Encyclopaedia Britannica article on the history of the word "jack" linked it directly to the common name: "Jack, a word with a great variety of meanings and applications, all traceable to the common use of the word as a by-name of a man." [2]

Aha, that explains it, he is Everyman.....that's helpful.....(err it's not really, is it? "Everyman"... is a catch-all category, which encourages us to ignore an uncomfortable truth )

One of the stock characters in English mumming plays is Johnny Jack, who is there to collect money from bystanders, but whatever the origin, Jack is also synonymous with Everyman as in Jack of all trades.

The Megalithic Empire Harper & Vered. Pg117

Whoops!.....I would like to retract my last statement. Hmmmm Everyman, that was exactly what I was thinking myself. Come to think about it Everyman also covers each and every Tom, Dick and Harry . Still names for the common classes only became important for tax purposes. So why not lump them together?

Let us try Wiki again.

Wiki wrote:

The name Jack probably originated as a medieval diminutive of the name John, originally as "Jackin" (earlier Jankin).[3][4] Alternatively it may be derived from the name Jacques, which is the French form of the name Jacob.[3] There is also a theory that it is Celtic in origin, meaning "Healthy, Strong, Full of Vital Energy" (compare the Welsh word iach, "health"), from a putative Ancient British *Jakkios.[5] Whatever its origin, the name and also the word "jack" were long used as a term to refer to any man, especially of the common classes.[2][6]

OK.this is going nowhere, or rather it is going everywhere. They (orthodoxy) are simply making it up....maybe they are missing the obvious?

Let's take a look at Jake. Perhaps that will help?

On Line Etymology. wrote:

Colloquial or familiar abbreviation of the masc. proper name Jacob (q.v.).As the typical name of a rustic lout, from 1854.

Cripes he has a worse press than even common ol' Jack, Tom Dick and Harry...he is a "Rustic Lout."
Wile E. Coyote

Seasons opener

The Black Pig

"Heave ho, me hearties!"

"All aboard the Black Pig!"

"Shivering Sharks, it's time for a sea shanty"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-tRrdJCo3w
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Where's Jill?

Jack and Jill went up the hill
To fetch a pail of water.
Jack fell down and broke his crown,
And Jill came tumbling after.

Up Jack got, and home did trot,
As fast as he could caper;
To old Dame Dob, who patched his nob
With vinegar and brown paper.

Which is similar to the Norse Hjúki and Bil

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hj%C3%BAki_and_Bil
Wile E. Coyote

Boreades wrote:
Where's Jill?

A good question. Shame, I can't answer it.....the references to crown and nob(ility) make me think it was a later reworking.... but you have dug out some megalithic connection that I was unaware of......
Wile E. Coyote

Season 1 Episode 2

Legend

In Britain, Captain Pugwash is a well known character. He first featured in children's comic strips, including The Eagle. His adventures were eventually adapted into 2 TV series. This was done first using cardboard cut-outs, filmed in live-action. Later, Captain Pugwash was shown in a more modern animated form. The original characters were created by John Ryan.

Our pompous anti hero, Captain Horatio Pugwash, is known for his tall stories, and constant bungling. Fortunately for him, as he sails the high seas in his ship the Black Pig,.he is ably assisted by his crew: cabin boy Tom, pirates Willy and Barnabas, and Master Mate.

An urban legend developed that the Black Pig crew had sexually suggestive names -- such as Master Bates, Seaman Staines, and Roger the Cabin boy, sometimes you also hear that the captain's name is Australian slang for oral sex.

In 1991 John Ryan successfully sued both the Sunday Correspondent and The Guardian newspapers for printing this urban legend as fact.

Despite this, the legend persists, it's a case that the characters have stayed the same, but their names have coarsened, over time.....in the public imagination.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Boreades wrote:

Is it normal to go up a hill to fetch water?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Sexual Pugwash: not an urban tale, more a students' tale (they are well known for watching kids' telly). The Magic Roundabout was similarly awash with drug references. Apparently.

Good point, Ishmael, which has not hitherto been remarked upon by the world. Of course The Megalithic Empire claims that the tops of hills were specifically provided with water (via dewponds and other feats of hydrology which was their speciality) either for animals or for terraforming..
Wile E. Coyote

Ishmael wrote:
Boreades wrote:

Is it normal to go up a hill to fetch water?

Boro is working on the basis that Jack, Jill and the pail are a image on the moon. So you look up to see them, much as you would look up to a image of two people on the hillside.

The image I have quoted before is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_rabbit

Your Scandos apparently see Hjuki and Bil?

It helps me that Hjuki has megalithic significance, but I honestly can only see the (Easter) Bunny myself.

Maybe Boro can clarify.....
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Of course The Megalithic Empire claims that the tops of hills were specifically provided with water (via dewponds and other feats of hydrology which was their speciality) either for animals or for terraforming.

But most of all for tin mining.

ie a head of water is set up

Jack fell down and broke his crown

the head of water is broken

And Jill came tumbling after.

And the tin followed the water down.

Up Jack got, and home did trot,
As fast as he could caper;
To old Dame Dob, who patched his nob
With vinegar and brown paper.

And it got refined ... I'll leave others to fill in the gaps.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Oh, all right I'll do it meself:

Besides the iron tools, the Romans used fire to fracture the rock for removal. Pliny mentions breaking up flint by means of fire and vinegar [XXXIII 71], and Diodorus talks of "burning the hardest of the gold-bearing matrix with a great fire and making it friable"

So vinegar and the combustible ignition (brown paper ... whatever that was) was used in mining but

Before crushing the stone by hand [3.12-13.1; SB, p. 184]. Many ancient authors, including Livy [XXI.XXXVII.2] and Vitruvius [VIII.3.19] mention fire-setting and vinegar. The vinegar would have produced additional fracturing from the rapid fall in temperature.

in other words it was also used to refine the ore. Naturally, the modern scholars have got it all wrong:

Modern geologists question the value of the vinegar over any other cold liquid [Craddock, 33-35; Shepherd, p. 23-24], but given the frequent mention made of it, vinegar was probably used. Fire-setting continued to be done through Agricola's time [Craddock, p. 34], until explosives were developed. At Reed mine, black powder was available and fire-setting was not used.

Clearly, acetic acid (is it?) has some purpose over and above being a cold liquid.
Wile E. Coyote

Season1 Episode 3

Tom and the The Flying Dustman

The arch enemy of Captain Pugwash was the villainous Cutthroat Jake who sailed the The Flying Dustman......

Victorian London - Publications - Social Investigation/Journalism - Street Life in London - by J.Thomson and Adolphe Smith, 1877 wrote:

Flying dustmen are unreliable in their movements, while at night, like flying comets, some of them may be traced in their course by the tail they throw out behind. Having no fixed "shoot," after the day's labour is done and the load denuded of its saleable contents, the tail of the conveyance is partially opened. The owner then seeking some by-way, proceeds to distribute the dust in a thin layer over the road, and thus lightens his burden at every step. On more occasions than one, inspectors of nuisances have traced the erratic course of these men, and at last caught them shooting the contents of their cart into some quiet field, or beneath the deep shadow of a railway arch. The industry is on the whole managed in such a way as to make it pay. Old bottles, tins, rags, and bones, are disposed of for about three shillings per hundredweight. The flying dustmen also study the routes of regulars, and follow in their wake. In this way they pick up customers who have been overlooked, or who have failed to catch the husky croak of "dust ho!" In their plight housewives accept the proffered aid, and agree to have their bins emptied for a consideration. It is, of course, necessary to point out to those in pressing need, that the regular dustmen have just gone, and cannot appear again for at least a week.......

The crafty Jake often betters the bungling Pugwash, only to be outsmarted by the wiley Tom the cabin boy. Tom (Moore,Cramner Becket)........is the real brains of the Pugwash operation.
Ishmael

Mick Harper wrote:
ie a head of water is set up...the head of water is broken

What does this mean?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In tin mining -- ancient or modern -- the tin ore is separated from the surrounding rock by 'streaming'. Nowadays by jets of water, then by fast flowing streams. But since natural streams have long stripped away any obvious surface tin ore, it means that artificial streams have to be created. These are called leats and resemble mill races.

However, most tin deposits do not have streams, either natural or artificial, close enough to do the job. Hence artificial water reservoirs (heads) are set up above the tin deposits and then the head of water is released to create the stream and hence to separate the tin ore. This is all quite orthodox -- indeed many historians believe that Cornwall and Devon were not the main tin zones because they had the most tin but because they had the most rain!

It is only us who have taken the matter one step further in claiming that the Megalithics also used tides (to create rias, Plymouth Sound etc) for the purpose of raising the water head above the tin ore deposits. Sea water is just as good as fresh water for this particular job.
Ishmael

Well that may all be true but I think you are stretching the rhyme to link it with this process. Certainly I would challenge you that, if Jill is to be equated with the tin, in that it comes tumbling after Jack when he falls down and breaks his crown, you must account for why Jill, aka "the tin", first accompanies said Jack up the hill in the first place.

The tin ought to be awaiting Jack, I would think, if your interpretation holds.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Well, it was only a brainwave.
Reply to topic Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 3

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in