MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
O.U.O.S.V.A.V.V (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angus McOatup

In: England

These letters appear on a monument in the grounds of Shugborough Hall, Staffordshire, England, the home of the Earls of Lichfield (circa 1748-63).

O.U.O.S.V.A.V.V

The monument is a sculptural reconstruction of Nicolas Poussin's painting Et in Arcadia Ego (itself a most mysterious painting).

The question is: Whatever does it all mean?

The monument and the remodelling of Shugborough was paid for by Admiral George Anson who, on a world voyage, managed to capture a Manila treasure ship containing 1,313,843 gold pieces of eight. Thus making him very rich..... mmm?
Send private message Send e-mail
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

I play a teensy part in the Rennes-le-Chateau mystery of which Shugborough is itself a mainly unconsidered offshoot (via Et in Arcadia Ego). The priest who supposedly discovered the treasure, Henri Boudet, wrote a very odd book called Le Vrai Langue Celtique, the true language of France.

Apart from being odd in itself (perhaps someone could read the English translation now it's out http://www.scribd.com/doc/50133581/Henri-Boudet-Le-Vrai-Langue-Celtique-English-Translation),
the book (I think) advances the odd notion that Celtic (ie Breton) was the original language of Gaul. What's odd about this is that orthodoxy happens to believe this to be the case too, so why write a revisionist book claiming it to be so? (Unless it wasn't orthodoxy in the nineteenth century ... I don't know.)

But then M J Harper came along and in THOBR proved that French is the true language of France thereby rendering Boudet's book once more revisionist.

I cannot guarantee the accuracy of the above, it's been a long time since I wallowed in the Great Mystery of Rennes-le-Chateau. Including the greatest mystery of all: is it all a bunch of bollocks?
Angus McOatup

Mick Harper wrote:
I play a teensy part in the Rennes-le-Chateau mystery of which Shugborough is itself a mainly unconsidered offshoot (via Et in Arcadia Ego). The priest who supposedly discovered the treasure, Henri Boudet, wrote a very odd book called Le Vrai Langue Celtique, the true language of France.

Apart from being odd in itself (perhaps someone could read the English translation now it's out http://www.scribd.com/doc/50133581/Henri-Boudet-Le-Vrai-Langue-Celtique-English-Translation),
the book (I think) advances the odd notion that Celtic (ie Breton) was the original language of Gaul. What's odd about this is that orthodoxy happens to believe this to be the case too, so why write a revisionist book claiming it to be so. (Unless it wasn't orthodoxy in the nineteenth century ... I don't know.)

But then M J Harper came along and in THOBR proved that French is the true language of France thereby rendering Boudet's book once more revisionist.

I cannot guarantee the accuracy of the above, it's been a long time since I wallowed in the Great Mystery of Rennes-le-Chateau. Including the greatest mystery of all: is it all a bunch of bollocks?

Yes Mick...I vaguely remember this book from my readings of Henry Lincoln and co.......I'll chase it up. It may have been heterodox in the 19c possibly because everybody was enamoured of Gregory of Tours's History of the Franks maybe?.....Which I shall also scan for references to British resettlement in Armorica (which became Brittany due to all the Brits fleeing from the Saxon peril - according to Gildas)
Angus McOatup

Angus McOatup wrote:
Mick Harper wrote:

the book (I think) advances the odd notion that Celtic (ie Breton) was the original language of Gaul. What's odd about this is that orthodoxy happens to believe this to be the case too, so why write a revisionist book claiming it to be so. (Unless it wasn't orthodoxy in the nineteenth century ... I don't know.)

Yes Mick...I vaguely remember this book from my readings of Henry Lincoln and co.......I'll chase it up. It may have been heterodox in the 19c possibly because everybody was enamoured of Gregory of Tours's History of the Franks maybe?.....Which I shall also scan for references to British resettlement in Armorica (which became Brittany due to all the Brits fleeing from the Saxon peril - according to Gildas)

Apparently the famous encoded parchments were a forgery cooked up by Pierre Plantard and co. This is why I've opted for the Shugborough route. i.e. Its a contemporary artefact that encodes a very real mystery - connected to a very rich man.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Angus, there's no need to paste up all these quotes. We can follow the argument without them.
Angus McOatup

sorry mick , but the Boudet book has been electronically translated ie it's pretty much gobbledegook.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

And we have nobody here who speaks French except Hatty but she dislikes all the Holy Blood stuff and Ishmael who's a French Canadian but will never admit it. However, I seem to recall when I ploughed through some version of Boudet there's not much there.

Perhaps I didn't realise I was reading an electronic version ... are you sure ... I seem to recall corresponding with the translator years ago. But, still, the whole thing is a little spooky.
Angus McOatup

it appears very dilettante....making Hollingshead's History appear a model of clarity.

If the 'English' translator was a Frenchman, that would explain the strange syntax?
Reply to topic

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in