MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Why aren't there nasty creepy-crawlies in New Zealand? (Life Sciences)
Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

A few years ago, Les Famille Boreades was flush enough to go on a long holiday in Oz & NZ. We took our children round various parts of Oz that had various nasty life-threatening critters. Then we took them round NZ; that had none of that.

No surprise that our children thought the nasty stuff was wonderful, and that's where they wanted to be. Mrs Boreades and I had other ideas, perhaps influenced by the NZ grape-growing abilities. But that's another story.

My point is, given we are told that Australasia was, as recently as the last Ice Age, all one big continent, why aren't there any nasty critters in NZ?

I'll upload a supportive image of Australasia as soon as I find one.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Before you do that, some confirmation that anyone believes Australasia was recently all one continent would be welcome. It's news to me and as you know I'm a world authority in these matters.
Chad

In: Ramsbottom

Boreades wrote:
ideas, perhaps influenced by the NZ grape

Says it all.

I too have had the occasional weird notion... after a heavy session.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

and that's where they wanted to be. Mrs Boreades and I had other ideas

Since in surveys New Zealand is regularly voted "most boring place on earth" and Australia "most interesting" I think that tells us all we need to know about Mr & Mrs Boreades. Though I had them down as Mormon teetotallers.
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Mick Harper wrote:
and that's where they wanted to be. Mrs Boreades and I had other ideas

Since in surveys New Zealand is regularly voted "most boring place on earth" and Australia "most interesting" I think that tells us all we need to know about Mr & Mrs Boreades. Though I had them down as Mormon teetotallers.

All true, unless you like sailing. In which case, NZ is a world-leader in sailing technology, with some of the most wonderful sailing locations. NZ also has megaliths.

I am a complete teetotaller, from dawn to dusk.
Reply to topic

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in