MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
COIN (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46 ... 50, 51, 52  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

There is no doubting Hats has an eye for spotting forgeries, but I am no longer worried about taken in. Wiley's role (which he is likely to fail at) is to explain a new way of looking at Coins. It is not up to Wiles to find a rare example of a coin minted during the reign of Legendarus, that proves the battle of so and so took place in Fairyland. Or, a tad more likely to expose the Legendarus as a fake. No, Coyote is not interested in the exceptional or the missing link. In my defence I was first to point out the Tara Brooch, so maybe I am not as gullible as some. Still Hats is inevitably going to catch me out. Hell its going to be painful.
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Was it here in the Coin topic (or somewhere else) that we were wondering why the metal (in metal objects) can't be dated more accurately? Or historians and archaelogists appear reluctant to try?

Some pedant might have said "well you can't carbon-date metal".

But metals can be dated thanks to the isotopes they contain, e.g. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0305440318303807?via%3Dihub

Recently, Fe isotopes were found to be promising for iron metal tracing. In this context, we evaluated the pertinence of Fe isotopes as a new tool for provenance studies of non-ferrous metals.

I can spot two non-trivial problems though, that might be used as a Get Out Of Jail Free card by technophobic historians and archaelogists. A good result depends on all the metal in the object being (a) from a single source and (b) never reused/recycled/melted down with any other metal.

By "a good result", I'm assuming "an age of a preferred era". Not sure what would be used as the reference standard though?
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Recently, Fe isotopes were found to be promising for iron metal tracing. In this context, we evaluated the pertinence of Fe isotopes as a new tool for provenance studies of non-ferrous metals.

The article says they are able to trace the source, or provenance, i.e. from which mine the metal comes, but they aren't saying they can date the metal.
Hatty
Site Admin

Just came across a PhD thesis on 'The Origins of Anglo-Saxon Kingship' submitted in 2015 by one Peter Burch, School of Arts, Languages and Cultures, University of Manchester. It seems to rely on Bede, Gregory I, Welsh annals, saints' Lives, et al. judging by the chapter headings but starts by saying historical sources are unreliable, as per 19th century historians' strictures, so decides to look at the archaeological evidence.

It takes a while to get through the chat but finally he gets to 'kingship' the evidence for which consists of elite burials, which may or may not be kingly, and the first example is Childeric. He gives two key reasons for believing the burial, discovered by workmen in 1653, was that of Childeric

The seal ring featured the inscription CHILDERICI REGIS, allowing the burial to be identified as that of Childeric I. The association with Childeric I is further strengthened by the coin sequence, which ends with coins of the emperor Zenon (474-491).

We are well aware of inscriptions being undateable quite apart from the 'Alfred had me made' set-up and to be fair Burch seems to set more store by the coins

Assuming that Childeric was buried during Zenon’s rule, this date range correlates with Gregory of Tours’s date of c.481 for the death of Childeric I with pleasing exactness

Never heard of Emperor Zenon and it turns out no-one else knew of him until 1544 (A.D.). The source for Zeno is a Syrian scholar called Evagrius Scholasticus. No contemporary biographical info exists for the well-named 'Scholasticus' who is nevertheless supposed to have written one absolutely pukka work ...

Evagrius’s only surviving work, Ecclesiastical History, addresses the history of the Eastern Roman Empire from the official beginning of the Nestorian controversy at the First Council of Ephesus in 431 to the time in which he was writing, 593.

The editio princeps was published in 1544 under the name of Robertus Stephanus (better known as Robert Estienne).

Eh? The British Library says the earliest record of the original manuscript is eighteenth century, "Anthony Askew (bap. 1722, d. 1774), physician and book collector: inscription 'Leigh's Auction/ Dr Askew's manuscript, by Wodhull (f [i]; his sale, 1785: bought by Wodhull.Michael Wodhull (b. 1740, d. 1816), book collector and poet: his signature and price code". Anyway, Estienne is the official author. So much for Peter Burch's coin 'evidence'.
Hatty
Site Admin

I couldn't carry on reading, the unwillingness to engage in straightforward checking of sources is too depressing, but it didn't do Burch 's prospects any harm

After completing his PhD, Peter decided to leave academia to take up a post as a Project Manager with a global design and consultancy firm, where he is still employed now. When asked how he came to his to decision to leave academia Peter explained that “I wanted to have a certain degree of stability which I knew I wouldn’t get in academia.” Peter continued to say that he always separated the choice of doing a PhD from the choice to be an academic. “It’s probably the single most useful thing I’ve done both on a personal and professional level”, he added.

I think he means better pay. Can't argue with that.

Peter says his employer completely understood why an Anglo Saxonist might want to become a project manager for a construction consultancy. Peter explained that, because the organisation was looking for a broader skillset, they were deliberately recruiting from the arts and humanities well as the sciences. “I knew that the analytical skills, the planning skills, and all the thinking skills that I’d developed doing a PhD would tie right in to that sort of activity, and actually, that I would have a different perspective because I hadn’t come from an engineering or project management background”.

Can't argue with that. A few years looking for non-existent evidence or sifting through contradictory accounts may be just the right background.

Peter spoke more broadly about his training during his PhD and how it benefitted his career. “Professionally, the quality of thinking that it allowed me to develop… the rigour with which I was able to approach things… has stood me in tremendous stead for where I’ve gone on to. It’s something different that I bring. Because I’ve had that training, I am able to look at a situation, think about it from different angles simultaneously and hold all these mutually contradictory things in my head”.

I think he's saying that a PhD doesn't really have any point but can help land a well-paid job. Which is incontestable so why not say so?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

I think this should be in the Applied Epistemology section or the Forgery section rather than the Coin section but it is riotous anyway you look at it. Since it is in the Coin section, it was this that caught my eye

Assuming that Childeric was buried during Zenon’s rule, this date range correlates with Gregory of Tours’s date of c.481 for the death of Childeric I with pleasing exactness

Rank in order of probability
1. A French coiner in the fifth century knowing the dates of Zenon
2. A French 'coiner' in the seventeenth (or later) century knowing the dates of Zenon.

Only four made up people as far as I can tell: Evagrius Scholasticus, Gregory of Tours, King Childeric I and Emperor Zenon (usually Zeno).
Wile E. Coyote

Hatty wrote:
Just came across a PhD thesis on 'The Origins of Anglo-Saxon Kingship' submitted in 2015 by one Peter Burch, School of Arts, Languages and Cultures, University of Manchester. It seems to rely on Bede, Gregory I, Welsh annals, saints' Lives, et al. judging by the chapter headings but starts by saying historical sources are unreliable, as per 19th century historians' strictures, so decides to look at the archaeological evidence.

Most of the archaeology, if it ever existed, has been lost. Stolen by thieves in 1831, who proceeded to melt it down, and for some strange reason, then threw a few pieces into the Seine. The few remaining artifacts were discovered 8 months later.

My feeling is that a folio of "1655" purporting to describe finds of spectacular treasure, (now considered to be the first great archaeological treaty on the Franks) is not the same thing as actually having the objects.

http://www.thehistoryblog.com/archives/37323
Mick Harper
Site Admin

This is rather nice and really belongs n the Forgery -- modus operandi thread. When you've got a bunch of things that were common enough in their day but are so rare now they are worth zillions, you need a pretty convoluted backstory viz
why only a few survived out of loads
why this particular one survived out of loads
where are the ones that were with it

Thus you get gospel books being wantonly destroyed by brute beasts but then occasionally ransomed back to the original owners. The brute beasts, being brute beasts, never realise that they can ransom all gospel books back to their owners not just this one. Oh, and this one. And this one. However, your coin partakes of the Book of Kells Exemption -- brute beasts steal the book then inexplicably bury it in the ground, then inexplicably vanish, then the book is inexplicably found a few months later. (Yes, it's the dreaded Irish manuscript hound.)

Most of the archaeology, if it ever existed, has been lost. Stolen by thieves in 1831, who proceeded to melt it down, and for some strange reason, then threw a few pieces into the Seine. The few remaining artifacts were discovered 8 months later.

why only a few survived out of loads -- dunno but they all survived until 1831 ... but not now
why this particular one survived out of loads -- it was thrown in the river
where are the ones that were with it -- melted down ("Chuck one in the river for luck, Big Al.")
Wile E. Coyote

The Childeric seal ring looks remarkably like the old AE profile of Boro, and I would add that the engraver had clearly had too much cider by the time he reached the Regis bit.

I am not quite at the J'accuse stage just yet, but I have to say that Boro remains suspiciously silent, and hasn't issued a full denial.
Boreades

I deny it (whatever it is). Got any more cider?
Boreades

Coins? Or buttons?
The 'Hillingdon Hoard': HS2 archaeologists discover more than 300 Iron Age 'potins' - a small early version of the coin - in West London, dating back around 2,100 years

The potins are based on coins struck in Marseille, France, about 2,175 years ago, which bear the left-facing head of Apollo on one side and a bull charging right on the other.

Their use spread across northern Europe and were commonly linked to Kent, Essex and Hertfordshire in England.

Historians are unsure what they were used for in the 1st century BC, particularly as the exchange of goods and service, or bartering, is thought to have been the main method of commerce at that time.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-9784457/The-Hillingdon-Hoard-HS2-archaeologists-discover-300-Iron-Age-potins.html

They still look like buttons to me.
Wile E. Coyote

wiki wrote:
In 1890, so-called Potin lumps were found, of which the largest weighs 59.2 kilograms (131 lb), at the Prehistoric pile dwelling settlement Alpenquai in Zürich (Vicus Turicum) in Switzerland. The pieces consist of a large number of fused Celtic coins, which are mixed with charcoal remnants. Some of the about 18,000 coins originate from the Eastern Gaul, and others are of the Zürich type, that were assigned to the local Helvetii, which date to around 100 BC. The find is so far unique, and the scientific research assumes that the melting down of the lump was not completed, therefore the aim was to form cult offerings. The site of the find was at that time at least 50 metres (164 ft) from the lake shore, and probably 1 metre (3 ft) to 3 metres (10 ft) deep in the water.[2][3]

Kentish cast bronzes (historically referred to as Thurrock potins) appear to have been the first coins made in Britain dating from the end of the second century BC.[4][5] They appear to have circulated mainly in Kent and were based on coins issued by Massalia (now Marseille).[4]

Cult offerings? Would be a red flag. Does cult=celt?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

The Megalithic Empire argues for a sophisticated system of long distance trade based on tolls. It did not seem to be cash-based which was a nuisance since we had to pray-in-aid various devices from offering up a goose (that's why they're such good waddlers) and hazelnuts (high value to weight ratio). Tokens seem a much better bet. Now it's redeeming the tokens that becomes the problem. Look at Green Shield stamps. Where are they now?
Wile E. Coyote

Let's take a look at the ortho position. Note how the history interacts with the economics.

Coins were used in Roman Britain, and it is argued they were used by the Celts before that for trade.

When the legions leave early in the 5th Century, and before the arrival of the Anglo Saxons, coin production stops for about 200 years. Presumably with a negative impact on trade, which has reverted to barter.

Then the Saxons arrived and started to produce coins. These are the so called silver 'sceattas'. The word 'sceat' it is thought to have originally meant 'treasure'.

Just before the first of the "Viking" raids on England, the Saxons began to mint a new type of coin the so called English penny, some believe named after the little known king called Penda. Others believe that the penny, is named from the "pans" into which the molten metal for making coins was poured. Either way the word "penny" bears a remarkable resemblance linguistically to the German "pfennig".

The Great King Alfred increased the number of his mints to 8 to increase coin production, this was in part used by the King to pay his soldiers and build a navy to defend the shores against the heathen Vikings. We should note that Alfred's sensible policy was then partly ignored or abandoned by future rulers such as Aethelred II who preferred to pay the Vikings rather than his own soldiers, to keep the peace. These payments were called Danegeld.

The result of this policy of appeasement is that far more Anglo-Saxon coins have been found in Scandanavia than in England. The Vikings then, interestingly, start minting their own coins based on the Anglo-Saxon designs they have plundered.

The side effect of all this coin production, paying of soldiers and enemies not to invade, is that the birthplace of history England has a national system of coinage hundreds of years before anywhere else, it is just most of the finds occur in Scandinavia.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

We should note that Alfred's sensible policy was then partly ignored or abandoned by future rulers such as Aethelred II who preferred to pay the Vikings rather than his own soldiers, to keep the peace

I object to this kind of editorialising. It's like Channel 4 News' pernicious habit of saying re Covid "...and sadly seventy-eight people have died". How come the other eighteen trillion dead people you talk about elsewhere in the bulletin don't get a 'sadly', you sad git.

It's no business of objective commentators, eg Lt Col W E Coyote, saying things based on a) reading too many War Picture Action Library comics as a child and again during dotage, and b) sheer ignorance. Who can say and in what circumstance it is better to pay for a standing army or pay people to go away? You certainly can't say it for Alfredian England, the sum knowledge of which can be written on the back of a burnt cake. And still have enough left over for a fish supper and a brass.

The result of this policy of appeasement

This is technically correct but why use such a loaded term? Interesting post though. Even I could see that. He snarled.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46 ... 50, 51, 52  Next

Jump to:  
Page 45 of 52

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in