MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
COIN (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 50, 51, 52  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Mick Harper wrote:

Yes, I noticed this on re-reading. The problem was that, at the time, neither of us was particularly interested in or knowledgeable about megalithic material so we didn’t really know where we were going. By the time we did, it would have resulted not in a re-write but a re-everything. As you have noticed with your SLOT material (or as I like to call it, my SLOT material) you either have to call a halt and go with what you’ve got or (as Boreades is currently finding out) you never go at all.

If you come up with a series of novel ideas, however good (and ME is very good) it will date. If you change the paradigm.....it will stand the test of time.
Wile E. Coyote

Mick Harper wrote:
I suppose somebody ought to check out this dude's book https://twitter.com/BartEhrman?lang=en

Not me.....COIN will have some fun with this idea, but draws heavily on devout folks that believe Christianity has been corrupted by sun worship. These folks have a gift (driven by faith) for spadework that puts poor old Wiley to shame. Some others very driven by a lack of faith are also proving helpful.

http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/#
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

If you're on chatting terms with these dudes could you try to clear up our old bugaboo: are there any coins with Anglo-Saxon lettering. Not just Anglo-Saxon kings or whatever, it must have either the alphabet or words that are unambiguously Anglo-Saxon. When I say 'it', obviously it would be better if they come in a hoard or at least in circumstances that rule out forgery. Though any maybe-forged ones would be interesting too.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

The British Museum's department of coins has an exhibition called 'Money and medals' sponsored by Spink (auctions and collectibles). Numismatists are warned they may have mishandled items in their collections

Knowledge of how best to store coins has changed dramatically in recent years. Traditional methods of storing coins, like cushioning coin trays with felt, have been proven to negatively affect the condition of objects by attracting pests and giving off harmful gases.

If cushioning felt can have a deleterious effect, what would the earth (or wherever the objects are found) do to coins?
Wile E. Coyote

Ishmael is discussing the Gordian Knot.

I was googling (to see if there were any coin issues of this ancient event) but there are none I could find....so chanced (is there a word for a google that takes you down another possible road?) upon something of "interest" to Coin.

There are a number of emperors called Gordian. Rather intriguingly Gordian 1 and 2 died at the same time. Gordian 1 aged 79 and Gordian 2 and 46 after having jointly ruled for a total of about three weeks. Gordian 1 was a getting on a bit ...so brought in his son......To be fair this was the mysterious year of six emperors (so nobody had much of a go).....

However happily for numismatics both had totally separate coin issues.

Gordian 1 here http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/gordian_I/t.html

Gordian 2 here http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/gordian_II/t.html

Both were deified.

So you have joint ruling emperors father and son, but no joint coin issues showing you this for these joint emperors. Just totally separate issues

NB some of these coins from Alexandria........

To quote wiki on the mysterious origins of the Gordians
Little is known on the early life and family background of Gordian. There is no reliable evidence on his family origins.[6] His family were of Equestrian rank, who were modest and very wealthy.[7] Gordian was said to be related to prominent senators.[8] His praenomen and nomen Marcus Antonius suggest that his paternal ancestors received Roman citizenship under the Triumvir Mark Antony, or one of his daughters, during the late Roman Republic.[8] Gordian’s cognomen ‘Gordianus’ suggests that his family origins were from Anatolia, especially Galatia and Cappadocia.[9]

According to the Augustan History, his mother was a Roman woman called Ulpia Gordiana and his father Roman Senator Maecius Marullus.[3] While modern historians have dismissed his father's name as false, there may be some truth behind the identity of his mother. Gordian's family history can be guessed through inscriptions. The name Sempronianus in his name may indicate a connection to his mother or grandmother. In Ankara, Turkey, a funeral inscription has been found that names a Sempronia Romana, daughter of a named Sempronius Aquila (an imperial secretary).[8] Romana erected this undated funeral inscription to her husband (whose name is lost) who died as a praetor-designate.[6] Gordian might have been related to the gens Sempronia.

That's about 40 miles from where Alexander cut his knot.
Wile E. Coyote

Another thing that has come up recently are Jewish Names. Consider this: Alexander remains a popular Jewish name as the Great Man peacefully incorporated the Jews into his empire. Pretty grateful the wise Jewish folk decreed that all first born in 333 BC (!) be called after him.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

IF the gordion knot is a reference to Occam's Razor (better written as the Oakhum Razor) then the entire story must have been written after the invention of the scientific principle and after the misunderstanding arose as to what an Oakhum Razor was!
Hatty
Site Admin

Looking up the origin of names is a weird business. One of the most widespread Spanish surnames, Fernández(s) or Hernández, is derived from a Germanic name we're told. Even more popular than Herrero, the equivalent of English 'smith'. Fernando means brave traveller and an Arab version 'was used by Mozarabs in al-Andalus'. Habsburg empire doesn't figure apparently.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

They're still using Carthaginian names! Hasdrubal etc. Make of that what you will.
Hatty
Site Admin

The pronounciation of names is a another weird business. In a programme about Dionysus/Bacchus the presenter interviewed a Greek historian who pronounced it DiON-isus which sounds much more 'authentic' than Dye-on-I-sis. Academic historians may be better at languages than your average Brit but I wondered how Dionysus came to be (mis)pronounced.
Wile E. Coyote

http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/sear5/s1399.html

Here is one to interest Auro, a Caesar.......with an Elephant trampling on a Serpent.

What can it mean......?

Could this even be the famous war elephant that participated in the the conquest of Britain?

Polyaenus via Atallus wrote:
When Caesar’s passage over a large river in Britain was disputed by the British king Cassivellaunus, at the head of a strong body of cavalry and a great number of chariots, he ordered an elephant, an animal till then unknown to the Britons, to enter the river first, mailed in scales of iron, with a tower on its back, on which archers and slingers were stationed. If the Britons were terrified at so extraordinary a spectacle, what shall I say of their horses? Amongst the Greeks, the horses fly at the sight of an unarmed elephant; but armoured, and with a tower on its back, from which missiles and stones are continually hurled, it is a sight too formidable to be borne. The Britons accordingly with their cavalry and chariots abandoned themselves to flight, leaving the Romans to pass the river unmolested, after the enemy had been routed by the appearance of a single beast.
Wile E. Coyote

Or could it be that famous elephant that Claudius rode through Colchester?

wiki wrote:

The first historically recorded elephant in northern Europe was the animal brought by emperor Claudius, during the Roman invasion of Britain in AD 43, to the British capital of Colchester.

Get this, on your day trip to Colchester, you can visit your William the Bastard's Colchester Castle, cleverly built on the foundations of a giant Roman temple and then walk down those very roads where Claudius once rode his shitting elephant....

https://www.thecolchesterarchaeologist.co.uk/?p=34817
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Since the Romans had been campaigning in 'northern Europe' for nigh on a hundred years before Claudius came to Colchester it is remiss that nobody had thought to mention these apparently routine yet noticeable creatures before this, and/or maybe after this. Except for the two times in li'l ol' Britain.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

And while you're checking out elephants' relationship to the historical record, could you sort out why Wiki is saying

The first historically recorded elephant in northern Europe was the animal brought by emperor Claudius, during the Roman invasion of Britain in AD 43, to the British capital of Colchester.

when

Polyaenus via Atallus wrote:
When Caesar’s passage over a large river in Britain was disputed by the British king Cassivellaunus, at the head of a strong body of cavalry and a great number of chariots, he ordered an elephant, an animal till then unknown to the Britons ...

They can't both be right. Unless...
Wile E. Coyote

Well I guess it's a case of it being a first elephant until an earlier one is noticed....

Of course everyone (with a classical bent) was on the look out for said historic elephants and lo and behold, an elephant was eventually found.

wiki wrote:
At least one elephant skeleton with flint weapons that has been found in England was initially misidentified as this elephant, but later dating proved it to be a mammoth skeleton from the stone age.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 50, 51, 52  Next

Jump to:  
Page 25 of 52

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in