MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Megalithic concrete (Megalithic)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

I have long had the idea that the Bosnian pyramids are prime AE territory. I think originally it was because 'the profession' was so dismissive of them -- they are not in 'classical territory'. But I seem to remember coming later to the conclusion that it might be a case of 'local pride cometh before a fall' ie the whole thing was caused by Bosnia coming out of the Communist Dark Ages.

I await your verdict, Wiley.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Mick Harper wrote:
I have long had the idea that the Bosnian pyramids are prime AE territory.

Mick Harper wrote:

I think originally it was because 'the profession' was so dismissive of them -- they are not in 'classical territory'.

Mick Harper wrote:

But I seem to remember coming later to the conclusion that it might be a case of 'local pride cometh before a fall' ie the whole thing was caused by Bosnia coming out of the Communist Dark Ages.
I await your verdict, Wiley.

Quick Recce

Your Bosnians seem to be comparing "their bigger" pyramids with the rather puny Egyptian versions. There appears to be a hunt on for tombs and treasure to match.

Ignoral=There are many pyramid sites in the world, few contain burials, even less if you remain skeptical about orthodox claims of grave robbery.

Your orthodox rebuttal of the Bosnians is based on a lack of archaeology (see above) and a claim that these hills are natural.

Ignoral= these hills are in fact pyramid-shaped and aligned.

Both sides seem not to have noticed, or searched for, other smaller pyramid-shaped hills in the vicinity....on the grounds that the biguns are what matters.

There appears quite a lot of spadework around what constitutes a natural or manmade hill, which might be of use if an eagle eyed epistemologist could spot a pyramid-shaped hill in these Great Isles.
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Long overdue, more on the topic title. Concrete. Or more precisely, Geopolymer Concrete.

It turns out that the cheapest and simplest types of Geopolymer Concrete use slag waste and fly ash. Commodities that would be in abundance as waste products from megalithic mining and smelting with timber.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geopolymer_cement#Geopolymer_cement_categories
Boreades

Wile E. Coyote wrote:
There appears quite a lot of spadework around what constitutes a natural or manmade hill, which might be of use if an eagle eyed epistemologist could spot a pyramid-shaped hill in these Great Isles.

That'll be Silbury Hill you're talking about.

Tilo Rebar

In: Sussex

Boreades wrote:
That'll be Silbury Hill you're talking about.

...And don't forget Silbury's little sister, Marlborough or Merlin's Hill....

Dated as being built around same time as Silbury.
Boreades

Tilo Rebar wrote:
Dated as being built around same time as Silbury.

And aligned on the Equinox.
Boreades

More on "The Romans didn't invent concrete."
Or, how to make your own sarsen stones at home.

Geopolymer concrete is still grabbing a fair bit of attention in the modern-day stone-arranging industries. It can produce architectural-grade cement and concrete, or moulded items, with far lower heat & energy requirements than traditional Portland cement. i.e. it's cheaper. It's also more environmentally-friendly we're told. Entire buildings are being made of it.

Here are some excellent notes from people who are experimenting at home with the various geopolymer mixes that can be used.

The Geopolymer Org has the proper chemistry explanations. Along with an excellent explanation of the Egyptian's recipe for concrete.

From that, why the pyramids makes a lot more sense as the skillful use of concrete for precision civil engineering, rather than brute force and dragging lumps of stone around.

If the Egyptians knew it (and the Etruscans, and the Phoenicians), perhaps megalithic people knew it as well.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

..And don't forget Silbury's little sister, Marlborough or Merlin's Hill...

Hatty and I are attending a Leyhunters Moot on the 5th of April (thirty pounds though obviously we get in free as visiting dignitaries) in which one of the speakers is a certain Susan Sheridan who will be speaking on the links between the 'sacred mounds' of Marlborough, Eton, Winchester and Westminster.

Since the role of public schools in Megalithic History is something we deal with allusively in TME, I shall report back.
Boreades

Marlborough, Eton, Winchester and Westminster.

Ancient centres of learning.
Merlin's mound in Marlborough. Silbury. Avebury.
Tothill mound and Temple of Apollo in Westminster.
Alignment with ancient paths and roads.
Gorsedd mounds in York, Oxford, Exeter, Chartres.
Judgment Halls of Winchester and Westminster.
Parliaments and stannery courts.
Druids.
Winston Churchill.
Still the way to "get ahead".
Public schools currently supplies eight Labour Party shadow ministers, two LibDem ministers and nine Conservative ministers.

Thank you. Any questions?
Boreades

Who's Susan Sheridan?
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

At today's RILKO Summer Conference, where 'our' Jon treated us to a highly polished talk on his Stonehinge concept, there was a talk on Ancient Egyptian concrete.

One of the main ingredients in ancient concrete is kaolinitic clay. We were told 'it doesn't exist in the UK', but it does... in Cornwall.

Then he talked about the hormazo (= concrete) in Niebla, Portugal on the Rio Tinto and said bronze artefacts found in the Tinto contained tin that must have come from Cornwall.

Hormazo sounds like 'large orm' or large herm (horma = dry-stone wall) and he went on to say that the British Museum has Ancient Egyptian statues which are made of concrete. [Another Spanish word for concrete is hormigon which is subtly different, -azo endings are large/big while -igon indicates a collection.] This hormazo is claimed to have been mixed c 8,000 years ago, though the accuracy of dating reconstituted stone, as he calls it, seems very dubious.

Egyptian pyramid-builders used granite as well as limestone blocks and of course granite is found almost everywhere in the West Country. So all the constituents mentioned in ancient concrete would appear to be accessible in Cornwall including the small amounts of natron and lime (sodium carbonate) used in Egyptian concrete.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

...And don't forget Silbury's little sister, Marlborough or Merlin's Hill....

Looking at the eastern section of the Wansdyke (12 miles), it goes from Morgan's Hill to Merlin's Hill at Marlborough. The route is parallel to the A4 from London to Bath, just to the north.

No-one knows why the Wansdyke was built but it seems to be the usual Grim's dyke, found on most drovers roads including the Ridgeway, only on a larger scale as befits a main east-west route.
Boreades

Mick Harper wrote:
Since the role of public schools in Megalithic History is something we deal with allusively in TME, I shall report back.

Has your school report got lost in the post?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Unfortunately the woman giving the talk was the usual mix of a little learning and a lot of speculation. Basically nothing new. It was useful though to learn that our own line of enquiry was being trodden by somebody else but that's as far it got.
Boreades

Why would you build a pyramid and then fill the basement with liquid mercury?

It's still all there in a tunnel under the Temple of the Feathered Serpent in Teotihuacan, Mexico, according to this:
http://www.ancient-origins.net/news-history-archaeology/river-mercury-underworld-pyramid-sun-may-lead-royal-tomb-002952

Which also mentions a Qin Shi Huang pyramid in China that also has mercury under it.

Weird!
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 3

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in