MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Forged maps (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jorn

Ishmael wrote:
Jorn wrote:
...the map is turned 90 deg from reality....

....from reality?

Aren't these things relative?

Fomenko says that maps like these are drawn from the perspective of a sailor headed out from the north coast into the Mediterranean. The map is drawn relative a standard "facing" direction.

I was wrong. It is only the sundial that is off 90 deg to what is correct. When I took the image into photoshop, I could recognize the names.

You remember the Ptolemy map with Scotland 90 deg off?

I think the reason is that the Latins started counting the hours differently than us. Non in Latin was 15.00 and not noon. No good explanation is given for the difference.

I have been looking all over for why it is called septentrio, and think the reason is that it is the seventh third. At the beginning the Romans are supposed to have divided day+night in eight as well.

The eights were also divided in three, making 24 hours.

Later they are supposed to have used Canonical hours, where the day had 12 hours, and the night had 12 hours, making the hours unequal during the year.

It looks like the Catholics continued with their canonical hours for a very long time as well.

Rather than the seventh third, the "official" explanation is supposed to be:
The term septentrional, actually the adjectival form of the noun septentrion, itself refers to the seven stars of the Big Dipper asterism (aka "Septentrion").

The OED gives the etymology as
ad. L. septentrio, sing. of septentriōnēs, orig. septem triōnēs, the seven stars of the constellation of the Great Bear, f. septem seven + triōnes, pl. of trio plough-ox. Cf. F. septentrion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Septentrional
Jorn

The more I read of "antique" or "classical" literature, the more convinced I am that they are of a newer date, or that the texts have been improved, just like you would renovate an old Church to make it look better and more advanced.

From looking at sundials, it seems to me that at least the Catholic Church believed in a flat earth until a couple of centuries ago.

It is anyway the impression I get from reading this link:
Curious And Unusual
Mid-day in Rome - the city's official timing
http://roma.andreapollett.com/S1/roma-c11.htm

If true, this was probably so embarrassing to come clean about, that they backdated the change.

One thing I would like to look into was if Newton mentioned Galileo Galilei in the Principia.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Ishmael wrote:
Jorn wrote:
The question is then, who needed maps?

Maps are the property deeds of states.

And this is why so many were forged.

The first official maps produced by the British Admiralty date to 1795.

The Battle of Quiberon Bay (1792) may have galvanised the admirals since the British "used eight different charts and all of them were wrong" in the words of the curator of the Hydrographic Office of the British Admiralty. He adds that according to their estimates "eight out of ten ships were lost through bad navigation".

Before 1795 sea captains generally had to buy charts "in a coffee house or tavern".
Jorn

I have looked through Principia, and it seems with my feeble knowledge of Latin, that Newton used many declensions of Galileo. In the translated version Galileo is a person, but I am not certain if Newton talks about a person or about the Gallic (Gaelic) method or the Gallic (Gaelic) mechanic.

A parallel would be if French kissing was called French kissing because the French kissed that way, or if it was called so because it was invented by Frank French.

Perhaps Newton did not get an apple in the head, but were "forced" to converse with ship, bridge or roof builders, while he was exiled from academia during the plague? Both Darwin and Linne talked a lot with farmers before they came up with their revolutions.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Yes, it's vital to understand that all these dudes had their insights as soon as they got away from the academics. But I cannot believe that the term 'Galileo' would be mistranslated eg

Newton goes on to say, “By means of the first two laws and the first two corollaries Galileo found that the descent of heavy bodies is in the squared ratio of the time and that the motion of projectiles occurs in a parabola, as experiment confirms, except insofar as these motions are somewhat retarded by the resistance of the air.”

But something seems wrong

In fact, Galileo does not employ the notion of force at all in his derivation of these two relationships, and contrary to legend however much Galileo may have anticipated the first law, he never showed the least sign of appreciating the implication that Descartes emphasized, that curvilinear motion requires something to deflect the body out of its motion in a straight line.

And even stranger:

In the second edition of the Principia Newton adds a passage indicating how the two Galilean relationships can be derived using the first two laws and first two corollaries. All the evidence indicates that Newton never read Galileo's Two New Sciences and knew of the results in it only through secondary sources, including Huygens's Horologium Oscillatorium. His claim about Galileo accordingly was more likely just presumptuous, and not dishonest.
Jorn

Mick Harper wrote:

Newton goes on to say, “By means of the first two laws and the first two corollaries Galileo found that the descent of heavy bodies is in the squared ratio of the time and that the motion of projectiles occurs in a parabola, as experiment confirms, except insofar as these motions are somewhat retarded by the resistance of the air.”

That was one of the places I looked, and found a possible difference.

I got this:
So far I have received by mathematicians and experience multiple sources confirmed. Through the first two corollaries the laws of the first two and found out that there is also a Galilean descent of heavy bodies in the duplicate ratio of the time, and the motion of projectiles to be made in a parabola, in conspiracy with experience, except to the extent motions are a little retarded by the resistance of the air. From the times of the oscillations of pendulums of the same, Laws and Corollaries depend demonstrated, the support of the clock by daily experience. From the same, and the third, Mr. Law Christopher Knight found by Wren, John Wallis Std

With the other people there was no doubt that Newton was talking about a person.

Link to text version of first edition Principia.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/28233/28233-h/28233-h.htm

Perhaps Newton spoke with Galley gunners?

A 16th century gunner's compendium.

This is a highly unusual instrument composed of a gunner's sight, a plummet, quadrant, shadow square, horizontal sundial and compass.

http://www.mhs.ox.ac.uk/epact/catalogue.php?ENumber=35045

Newton does speak of cannonballs following a parabola, and the gunners must have know this.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 2

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in