MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Brown sugar, how come you work so good? (Health)
Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Or, The Placebo Effect.

As part of my day job I get to play with data for things like Clinical Trials. There are very clear ethical guidelines in the pharmaceutical industry on how any clinical trial should be conducted, including benchmark testing alongside placebo drugs. These are dummy drugs usually make of chalk and sugar with a bit of colouring, that should have absolutely no medical benefit. But one of the nuisance factors in every clinical trial is how strong the placebo effect can be.

Sometimes to the embarrassment of the pharma firm the placebo can be more effective than the drug they are developing! Those clinical trials have a habit of being "reworked" or "optimised" to be economical with the actuality.

Doctors who only look for physical causes and effects don't like to pay too much attention to the placebo effect, as it opens up a part of the world of Therapy and Wellness that's nothing to do with doctors. That is, the power of suggestion and patients' own attitudes. This is Personal Psychology, not medicine.

For the medical and pharma industry this is Not Good. Next thing you know, people will be taking control and responsibility for their own lives, and raising their consciousness!

I am part of the universe and the universe is a reflection of myself. Aum nama shanti.

How will pharma firms and doctors get rich if we all start doing this?
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Ignoring medical advice is good for your health.

So is farting. Fart smells have health benefits, according to Exeter University researchers

http://www.somersetlive.co.uk/fart-smells-health-benefits-according-exeter/story-21447028-detail/story.html

I'm just nipping out for an Egg, Chick Pea & Bean Curry supper, washed down with a few pints of Guinness.
Reply to topic

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in