MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Way Out West (Pre-History)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Duncan

In: Yorkshire

Since Caesar gives us the clear impression that the Gauls operated on both sides of the channel, and the Druids certainly did, I am of the tentative opinion that the Gauls were also Goidelic-speakers, living en masse in Brittany, Cornwall, Wales etc but operating as a thin veneer in the rest of France, Britain, Belgium, Northern Italy etc.

Within the 'Celtic' family of languages there are TWO strands - Goidelic, spoken in Scotland, Ireland and The Isle of Man; and Brythonic spoken in Wales, Brittany and Cornwall. They are also called q-Celtic and p-Celtic, respectively. I'm not sure how intelligible a Welsh speaker would be to a Gaelic speaker but I would probably say 'not at all'.

The distribution of megalithic remains, along the western littoral of the European mainland, leads me to suppose that the Megalithics were the Goicelic-speakers

We also have megalithic remains in Denmark, an area not associated with the Celts but the ancestors of Anglo-Saxons and Vikings...
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

The two branches of 'Celtic" are a bit of a nuisance for both schools. If they were already branched before their arrival in Europe then the mystery of their origins is, as it were, doubled. On the other hand if, as Applied Epistemology would probably demand in the absence of anything else, one is an offshoot of the other then there is the question of how they got separated. It would be neat if we could bifurcate using the sea but, as you say, both branches cross the sea.

On the question of comprehensibility, I am reliably informed that Scots and Irish Gaelic are essentially the same language, that Welsh and Cornish are distinguishable but not very (it being difficult to reliably know what Cornish is), but I have no information as to whether Bretons can happily converse with the Welsh. There is the secondary matter of whether we can rely on historical accounts that the Bretons are merely Cornish/Welsh relocated AD. And of course the Celtiberians are a complete enigma.

My bones tell me (and the Celtic Revival tells me) that the Gaels (q-Celtic) are the only branch that goes places -- the Welsh are incredibly hopeless at any collective endeavour -- and would be my candidate for Megalithic Man. I'm not sure I entirely agree with you about Denmark being Megalithic -- this is Dan's Big Beef -- but in any case the wider spread of Megaliths (to include North Africa, Malta etc) would reflect the trading/political compass of the Gaels rather than where they necessarily lived. In my view the very close affinity (even within the British Isles) between lots-of-megaliths and lots-of-'Celts' is too strong to ignore. Though too weak to be dogmatic.
DPCrisp

In: Bedfordshire

'Brazilian Stonehenge' discovered
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4767717.stm

Brazilian archaeologists have found an ancient stone structure in a remote corner of the Amazon that may cast new light on the region's past... The archaeologists made the discovery in the state of Amapa, in the far north of Brazil.

Depends what you mean by remote: this place is near the coast, a little way north of the mouth of the Amazon.

It was traditionally thought that before European colonisation, the Amazon had no advanced societies.

If Wilkens is right that the Odyssey reaches as far as Cuba, then the edge of Brazil is certainly within range of European sea-farers.

A total of 127 large blocks of stone were found driven into the ground on top of a hill. Well preserved and each weighing several tons, the stones were arranged upright and evenly spaced... The stones appear to have been laid out to help pinpoint the winter solstice, when the sun is at its lowest in the sky.

Hang on! This place is almost on the Equator: the Sun doesn't swing between the 'high' and 'low' points of the solstices there: it goes between about 23° to the north and 23° to the south, which is, near as damn it, always overhead. What possible interest could the Winter Solstice be to the locals? It's not seasonal in the Tropics (at least, not in the way we're used to).

Alignment on the Winter Solstice is a dead give-away for a Temperate Zone, presumably European, design, innit?

It is thought the ancient people of the Amazon used the stars and phases of the moon to determine crop cycles

I hate that: as if farmers don't know instinctively when to do their thing; as if they go by the calendar regardless of practical factors.
Keimpe

In: Leeuwarden, Frisia

It is thought the ancient people of the Amazon used the stars and phases of the moon to determine crop cycles.

DPCrisp wrote: I hate that: as if farmers don't know instinctively when to do their thing; as if they go by the calendar regardless of practical factors.

Well, at least they quit saying "for ritual purposes". So this is their way to admit that they've been wrong for a long time while all the Von Danikens and Hancocks were trying to tell us that these monuments were very accurate calendars.

Now we've got to decide WHY people want to build non-portable calendars. I like the idea put down by Hancock and Bauval that ancient monuments may have been designed to point to one EXACT moment in time, like the sphinx being in a position that was in the sky some 12.000 years ago. Maybe that's the ancient way of saying "Made in 1965".
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Look, let's get this gardening almanack stuff out of the way once and for all. Farmers are simply not interested in the date (except the last date for applying for their subsidy cheques). They go by soil temperature and catkins and stuff like that. The idea that they need to know anything exact (and will pay zillions of megalithic pounds to find out -- and then presumably spread the news by messenger outside Salisbury Plain) is just so ludicous that only archaeologists would dream it up.

Much the same is true of anybody who does need to know the date since all you have to do is to count 365 from the last date and add a day now and again. Why build bleedin' Stonehenge for the purpose?

As for people saying, "Hey, kameraden, let's build a stupendous monument to commemorate 12495 BC but make sure it's so enigmatic that even in 14501 years time they still won't know what the fuck it's all about," well, puh-lease, do me a flavour.

Yes of course they are accurate calendars but the only reason you need accurate calendars is for navigation and surveying over long distances. Stonehenge, as John Michel has amply demonstrated, is the place where the Irridium Rod of the Megalithic Yard was kept (in the form of the cross-pieces across the trilithons) and where most of the major observations were made (or at any rate standardised).

As for the Brazilian stuff, this is old hat. There's long been known to a major "Megalithic" trail through the jungle. As you know, the Aryan-Altaic-Semitic languages all originally came from America: the first crossing the North Atlantic by boat and using the Megalithic maritime system to spread north-west to south-east from Britain to India; the second lot used the Bering Strait route and settled east to west from eastern Siberia to Finland; and the third lot made the short-sea crossing from the the tip of Brazil to West Africa and settled in a south-west to north-east swathe from there as far as the Tigris-Euphrates.

They all mixed 'n' matched the basic methodology. John Neal has amply demonstrated that all the world's measures (including Aztec temples) are built using local adaptations of the "English" ie Stonehenge measuring system.
Komorikid

In: Gold Coast, Australia

Not only Neal but also Knight and Butler have proved that all modern measurements (inch, foot, metre ... that's right, imperial and metric) are all directly related to the Megalithic Yard and this specific accurate distance could be reproduced anywhere in the world by celestial observation of Venus. The system of measurement is based on a circle of 366 degrees not the later derived 360 degree one. This system is not only accurate on Earth but also has Megalithic Yard ratios in the Earth-Moon-Sun distances.

As you know, the Aryan-Altaic-Semitic languages all originally came from America: the first crossing the North Atlantic by boat and using the Megalithic maritime system to spread north-west to south-east from Britain to India; the second lot used the Bering Strait route and settled east to west from eastern Siberia to Finland; and the third lot made the short-sea crossing from the tip of Brazil to West Africa and settled in a south-west to north-east swathe from there as far as the Tigris-Euphrates.

Blends in perfectly with Syntax Theory's dispersion. SVO via N Atlantic, SOV via Berringa, and VSO via West Africa.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Bad news that the Megalithic Yard is directly related to the metre as well as the foot. The metre, as far as I know, is genuinely artificial (a mixture of Froggie estimates about the size of the earth and some later messing about) so it looks as though any measure can be 'directly related' to the Megalithic Yard if you try hard enough.
Komorikid

In: Gold Coast, Australia

Nothing new under the Sun
The modern metric system is for all intents and purposes a product of French invention but the basis on which it was extrapolated were well know and used regularly in ancient times.
They merely re-jigged a measuring system that had been forgotten. The standard Ancient Egyptian Cubit was virtually an exact 500mm and most measuring device at the time were based on a Double Cubit. The ancient measures were in fact based on the geodetic measure of the Earth. The volume of liquids in both imperial and metric are also part of the same equation. All the distance, area and volume measures we use today all have their basis in the Megalithic Yard.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Well, yes, I'm sure you're right, Komoro, but the question is how directly is 'directly related'. Neal goes to five decimal points to establish that (let's say) the Aztecs actually used the Megalithic Yard in their own system. But the French did not use either the Megalithic Yard or the British foot (or the Ancien Regime French measure) directly to fashion the metre. They started de novo on the basis of how far from the equator to the pole and dividing by a million (or whatever).

Of course it is true that the Revolutionaires used the old system as an approximation in the sense of "Mes amis, we need ze measure that approximates to a man's step like ze rosbifs' yard" but that is not the same as 'directly related'. Even using the same measure, eg the earth's circumference, as the basis for measurement does not make for a 'direct relationship', though it would be useful to be able to establish that this was in fact the case.

It ought to be acknowledged however that in all these matters (including things like where to put the zero meridian line) there are strong suspicions that the eighteenth century Enlightenistas knew far more about the ancient ways than they were letting on.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

It ought to be acknowledged that in all these matters (including things like where to put the zero meridian line) there are strong suspicions that the eighteenth century Enlightenistas knew far more about the ancient ways than they were letting on.

Yes!!!!

Look. Ever since I purchased my globe, I've been completely baffled by how well the meridian and the eliptic line (based on the meridian) line up with prominent geographical features -- geographical features which I now STRONGLY SUSPECT were the direct result of a previous alignment of the Earth. It's been bugging me ever since and my sense of the oddness of these alignments has only increased. Yet the meridian was supposedly just selected more-or-less as the random consequence of British naval supremacy at the time of standardization!
Duncan

As for the Brazilian stuff, this is old hat. There's long been known to a major "Megalithic" trail through the jungle. As you know, the Aryan-Altaic-Semitic languages all originally came from America: the first crossing the North Atlantic by boat and using the Megalithic maritime system to spread north-west to south-east from Britain to India; the second lot used the Bering Strait route and settled east to west from eastern Siberia to Finland; and the third lot made the short-sea crossing from the the tip of Brazil to West Africa and settled in a south-west to north-east swathe from there as far as the Tigris-Euphrates.

Que? I only popped out for a pint and look what's happened!!! Gentlemen, I'm genuinely missing something. THOBR really wasn't joking when it talks about the West being the source of all things. Did the English come from America and then give their language to the Europeans? Help me out. I'm so far from orthodoxy that the books burn my fingers.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Yes, sorry, Dunc, one of the penalties of taking stuff from one place (and of yesteryear) and plonking them down here is that context gets a bit mangled. However, as I remember it, ths was a little piece of coat-trailing mischief-making on my part because it formed part of a treasure hunt which, in fact, took place a few months later.

However I can say the original genesis of the American origins was this:
1. The widest spread language grouping in the world today (today being defined as before 1500) is the Aryan/ Semitic/ Altaic 'super-family'.
2. Being a super-family means that all three language groups must have originated in the same place
3. Plotting their distribution on a world-map makes no sense if this common starting point was anywhere in the Old World (try it).
4. But it does if they all started from the New World.
Duncan

So where does Africa fit in?
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Mick Harper wrote:
1. The widest spread language grouping in the world today (today being defined as before 1500) is the Aryan/ Semitic/ Altaic 'super-family'.
2. Being a super-family means that all three language groups must have originated in the same place
3. Plotting their distribution on a world-map makes no sense if this common starting point was anywhere in the Old World (try it).
4. But it does if they all started from the New World.

Shhhh....

Mick. You'll spoil all the fun. :-)
Duncan

I'm not sure I entirely agree with you about Denmark being Megalithic

The Danish site is at a place called Om. There is a Neolithic passage grave there.

the wider spread of Megaliths (to include North Africa, Malta etc) would reflect the trading/political compass of the Gaels rather than where they necessarily lived.

It's as good a guess as any. Once we dispense with the view that the Celts=La Tene=Halstatt=Central Europe, then fine. Oppenheimer is of the view that the Celts are from Spain. This sits nicely with the prevailing physical type. What always intrigued me is why classical sources talk of the Celts as tall and fair haired whilst anyone with the slightest awareness of the Scots, Welsh and Irish, and indeed many English people, knows that they are dark haired. Apparently only something like 20% of the British population have fair hair.

In my view the very close affinity (even within the British Isles) between lots-of-megaliths and lots-of-'Celts' is too strong to ignore.

The problem within the British Isles is that Megaliths are everywhere: north, south, east and west. Yet we also have a 'great stone' culture in Madagascar too.

To firmly say that the Gaels built the Megaliths you would have to show that their language arrived at the same time as the farming culture that started to construct the Long Barrows like West Kennet and then developed a thousand years later into the henge monuments such as Avebury and of course, Stonehenge. That's a hell of a long time for Celtic speakers to be dominating English speakers without the two languages actually merging or at the very least showing considerable borrowings from one another, but they don't.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Jump to:  
Page 4 of 13

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in