MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
THE Ice Age (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Don't you have to fit in the rhinoceroses-in-Trafalgar-Square thirty thousand years ago?
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Mick Harper wrote:
Don't you have to fit in the rhinoceroses-in-Trafalgar-Square thirty thousand years ago?

Zoo animal?
Grant

Great idea, Ishmael.

Now we need to come up with an objective measurement of road orientation
Ishmael

This is not my sole evidence, of course, for my thesis that the Ice Age ended only recently. In fact, when I posted my thesis publicly for the first time just days ago, I had not yet seen these maps. I stumbled across these maps just hours before I posted about them. You have all been witness to the unfolding of my case as I myself have watched it grow in my mind.

I will present additional evidence for my argument in days and weeks to come.
Ishmael

This new theory of a recent end to the Ice Age poses many problems for us.

This group has -- through a parallel argument -- previously posited the existence of an old north pole over Hudson Bay. We had also long-ago postulated the existence of a second pole somewhere around Norway. The Hudson Bay pole had always received more attention from us, in part because it was thought to be the more-recent. This conclusion was reached on the basis of the glaciation still present in Greenland and Northern Canada.

A third pole was also speculated to have lain sometime prior to the east of Iceland -- this to account for more of the Greenland ice and some of that on Iceland itself (if I recall the argument correctly).

So that's three poles -- Norway first, Iceland second and Hudson Bay third. Hudson bay determined to be third because the magnetic north pole lies part way between it and the present pole.
Ishmael

The postulation of multiple poles causes significant problems for all of us.

Magnetic north ought to have been wandering about quite a bit over the Earth, chasing after the roaming pole, and if the ice itself hadn't had time to fully retreat, it's difficult to imagine the slow-moving magnetic pole had time to catch up to the Hudson Bay axis before the pole shifted again to its present position. If there were so many recent poles in rapid succession, Magnetic North ought not to so accurately point toward the last north pole position.

For me, however, these poles have always caused even more problems.
Ishmael

I happen to be the only person on Earth (other than those I've told) who knows how to move a planetary axis (at least how to move it significantly). Using my theory, I've traced backward in time many previous locations for the North Pole. All of these locations form a beautiful continuum from an original pole I've pin-pointed on the Earth's surface to the new pole -- a migration that, over eons, shaped much of the Earth's geography.

But upon this continuum the Iceland and Norwegian poles have never fit.

The failure of these poles to conform to my theory has been a great source of frustration -- so in many ways I am only further frustrated to find evidence on my own now that must force me to account for them -- or at least account for the Norwegian pole.

I have an hypothesis now that may do it.
Ishmael

Chad wrote:
These roads then pre-date Giza, which is aligned to the present pole.

Not necessarily.

I'm about to show why.

But can you guess where I'm going?
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

My hunch is, you would find major monuments and internal roads of most Roman towns are overwhelmingly aligned to sunrise. That appeared the case in Rome.
Chad

In: Ramsbottom

Ishmael wrote:
Chad wrote:

Not necessarily.

I'm about to show why.

Yes...

The pole has a limited number of fixed positions to which it can jump... and we have been at the present one before.
Ishmael

Chad wrote:
The pole has a limited number of fixed positions to which it can jump... and we have been at the present one before.

Hey. That's a damn good idea too. And it makes perfect sense, given the distribution of land and water on the Globe (pace Mick).

But there's another possibility.

Think about this question:

Why would someone go to a great deal of trouble to indelibly mark the point of "true north"?
Grant

It would only be important if people were aware that it might change, or had changed in the past. If you thought it was a never-changing position, why would you bother. You could just use the stars.
Wile E. Coyote

Ishmael wrote:
Chad wrote:

Not necessarily.

I'm about to show why.

No idea.

Great thread.

I reckon you are going to show that magnetic flips have totally fucked up orthodox historical chronology.

Which they would.
Chad

In: Ramsbottom

We're not talking magnetic flips here, but rather major shifts in the position of the true rotational poles... A change in axial alignment with respect to surface geography.
Wile E. Coyote

Thanks Chad.

I will either have to try harder or...

leave it to the experts.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Jump to:  
Page 3 of 9

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in