MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The Great Depression (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Well I thought I answered the challenge in two distinct and original ways. I guess both were wrong. It would be easier (since you know the answer, but it is not the answer) if you told us what you thought was the orthodox description of the start of the Great Depression. As far as I know there are lots. The common one (though not, I think, now the majority academic one -- how they hate common knowledge!) was the New York Stock Exchange collapse of September 1929.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Mick Harper wrote:
....the New York Stock Exchange collapse of September 1929.

We could say that a grade school text-book description of the great depression would likely start with a sentence much like this one:

The Great Depression began with the collapse of the New York Stock Exchange in September 1929.

Certainly that's how I learned my history.

But even with all the nuance added by modern economic historians, at least some part of the essence of this survives in every history of the Great Depression. That being the notion that it was initiated in 1929 and that it began in the United States and, from there, spread to Europe.

Now that I've freed your mind with the employment of italics, I bet some of you are already considering multiple possibilities.
Ishmael

Here's the BBC...

In 1929, the Wall Street Crash plunged the USA into economic depression. The Americans were alarmed, so they called in their loans to other countries and put up customs barriers to stop imports of foreign goods. This created a depression across the rest of the world.
-- The Depression of the 1930s
Grant

But you could argue that the cause of the depression was collapsing farm prices leading to bank foreclosures. (This is similar to today in that some argue that sub-Prime lending foreclosures started our current recession). The Wall Street crash was just a symptom.

Farm prices had been falling since 1920, possibly because so much agricultural land was no longer being used to produce food for horses.

So the depression started in 1920 but cheap interest rates meant we didn't notice until 1929 (again a bit like today).
Grant

What everyone seems to agree on is that since we abandoned the gold standard there have been no more depressions.

Mick's argument that it's all random certainly works for common or garden recessions, but depressions seem to require a government or central bank mistake (in any human timespan, although eventually we will encounter a depression which will send us back to the stone age!)
Mick Harper
Site Admin

The reason I questioned the whole existence of the Great Depression is because in Britain, though we subscribe to the prevailing paradigm thanks to our servile ascademics, the facts are rather different.

Britain had been in something of a depression ever since the post-War boom petered out c 1921. And thanks to having very strong trade unions (the General Strike et al) and Churchill's insistence on being on the Gold Standard (ie like being in the Euro today and not being able to devalue your currency) Britain couldn't get out of it by lowering costs.

However when other countries started going into recession (1929-31) both these factors were removed and Britain was able to actually start modestly growing again. But, and it is a huge but, this prosperity was confined to the south of the country and the basic industries of the north were still in a hopeless condition.

And of course it is the Jarrow Hunger Marchers that got into the newsreels (and formal history) rather than the smug carworkers of Oxford et al.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Mick's argument that it's all random certainly works for common or garden recessions,

OK

but depressions seem to require a government or central bank mistake

What is the difference between a recession (technically, two successive quarters of negative growth), a depression (I think two years of negative growth but there haven't been enough of them to firm up the academic defintion)? And then there's a Great Depression (a decade of overall negative growth?).

Once you accept the small variations are random you have to accept that the small variations are certain to join up at longer intervals. It's a probabilistic certainty. The only uncertainty is what academics and policy makers choose as their current definition.

(in any human timespan, although eventually we will encounter a depression which will send us back to the stone age!)

Well it hasn't happened yet so AE says it won't. Will we be calling the current one The Great Depression in a few years time? Dunno. But I do know that every school-of-economists say there will be no more depressions if only their particular nostrum is followed.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

The Great Depression looks like an extension, or outcome, of the hyper-inflation of the 1920's. Perhaps it could be said that it began in 1919 at Versailles and ended in 1933 in Berlin.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

This is often put forward (mainly in Rise of Nazidom contexts) and is completely wrong. The German hyperinflation (which was a political put-up job by the Weimar Republic) was followed by nearly a decade of unexcelled German prosperity.
Ishmael

Hatty wrote:
The Great Depression looks like an extension, or outcome, of the hyper-inflation of the 1920's. Perhaps it could be said that it began in 1919 at Versailles and ended in 1933 in Berlin.

Finally!

Someone using her head!!!!

I was beginning to despair reading the drivel above!
Ishmael

Mick Harper wrote:
This is often put forward (mainly in Rise of Nazidom contexts) and is completely wrong. The German hyperinflation (which was a political put-up job by the Weimar Republic) was followed by nearly a decade of unexcelled German prosperity.

That's not quite accurate.

1923 is when the Weimar Republic inflates the currency. While the German economy stabilizes by 1925, it continues to stagnate until 1933.
Ishmael

Mick Harper wrote:
This is often put forward....

As a cause of the Depression? Fuck off. Quote me the source!

You're as bad as any of those your criticize.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Passim. I think you mean I have committed llèse-majesté by criticising your chosen explanation (in advance and not knowing what it was!)

I disagree with your description of the German economy 1923-33 but since we are enjoined not to scotch a new theory before its full term, I leave you the stage to tell us what happened.
Ishmael

Mick Harper wrote:
Passim. I think you mean I have committed llèse-majesté by criticising your chosen explanation (in advance and not knowing what it was!)

You've not criticized it. You claimed Hatty's new idea was one you'd heard "often". I've challenged you to back up that claim by finding one source.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Shan't.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 6

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in