MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Do you believe in astrology? (Astrophysics)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian Ambrose

It's not about intelligence Steven. I don't know but it's quite possible that the higher one's intelligence, the greater the confidence in our self deceptions.
Brian Ambrose

oops. Or wot Mick said.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Great morons think alike, Bri.
steven

www.suite101.com/astrology

A study of nearly 1 million people generated statistically significant findings...
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Well I for one am ready to say that I don't dismiss the possibility of astrology having some basis in fact. I once would have but I've had my world turned upside-down too many times for that sort of arrogance anymore.
Pulp History

In: Wales

The concept that positions of the planets at the time of one's birth affecting the personality are so ludicrous it is hardly worth arguing against.

In: Toronto

Pulp History wrote:
The concept that positions of the planets at the time of one's birth affecting the personality are so ludicrous it is hardly worth arguing against.

Perhaps.

But the positions of the planets and the nature of one's personality may both be subject to a third variable -- perhaps time itself. One may read the planets simply as one might read a clock.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Ishmael wrote:
But the positions of the planets and the nature of one's personality may both be subject to a third variable -- perhaps time itself. One may read the planets simply as one might read a clock.

One of the features about British astrologer-priests was, reportedly, a belief in the transmigration of souls. It seems to involve attaining a 'higher consciousness' so that the soul can eventually return to its source (unspecified, perhaps the 'birth planet'?).

Don't Christians believe their blessings, good attributes, whathaveyou, are obtained by the grace of god? It seems just as, if not more, plausible to trace the whathaveyou to ancestors out there somewhere.

The planets are clearly linked to the days of the week -- Sunday/Sun, Monday/Moon, Tuesday/Tiw i.e. Mars, Wednesday/Woden i.e. Mercury, Thursday/Thor i.e. Jupiter, Friday/Freya i.e. Venus, Saturday/Saturn -- and themselves are given attributes. People seem to be influenced by the day of the week they were born on according to nursery rhymes.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

The point Ishmael is trying to make is not that people might come to believe this or that but that there is a real effect 'out there' which is being picked up by 'this or that'.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

That's what I said. Marking time.
steven

Pulp History wrote:

http://www.debunkingskeptics.com/
Mick Harper
Site Admin

The Library's rules are quite clear: just putting up these general sites is not allowed. If there is something there, Steven, that you wish us to look at, then quote it, para-phrase it, or whatever. You have to do the work, not us!
steven

I thought the idea was pretty straightforward: there are heaps of evidence on astrology (I won't quote any links) yet there remain many obtuse and haughty sceptic minds out there...

It's like denying the fact that a cat* can't get into a mousehole* as "you'd have to measure it first to be sure". - lol

* both seemingly of ordinary size to the average person - not premature a.s.o.
steven

"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars." - Oscar Wilde
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Pulp History wrote:

Of course. That's almost as silly as suggesting the alignments of the sun and moon has an effect on the tides and also on geological events.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 3

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in