MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Politics, The Final Frontier (Politics)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 87, 88, 89 ... 104, 105, 106  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Mick Harper wrote:
Yes, but all this only applies to a minority of children. The vast majority are orphans or with parents (normally parent) who cannot cope, usually for mental health reasons. Or other reasons

Yes, mental health reasons or addictions, ie the parents are unable to fully care, it's about neglect not abuse issues. Tell me why any of these children with a parent or parents are in care.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Well, again, this is a different question -- but an interesting one. I accept that even a less-than-optimal parent is probably better than (an optimal?) care home. I also accept that the 'social care apparat' (including family courts) will have a strong tendency to prefer care homes over parents whenever there is the smallest chance of a come-back on them. And maybe not even then since the care home solution solves the problem from their point of view. Choosing a less-than-optimal parent will likely mean more problems (for the apparat) further down the line.

Given all this, surely shoveling resources into the sector -- including home support and suchlike -- will pay dividends? Look, Wiley, I'm a rank amateur in all this and will take a fair bit of tutoring but I'm still an AE-ist, so be in your fairest behaviour.
Wile E. Coyote

This was from a Guardian article 2016, at that time children were in some areas 6 times more likely to be taken into care in some areas than others. The motivation of any actors is not in doubt. All involved, we can assume, are doing the right thing as they see it.

“The number of children in public care is, I would contend, a national disgrace,” said Dave Hill, president of the Association of Directors of Children’s Services (ADCS). They were especially exercised by what they saw as a postcode lottery. “You can go to many parts of the UK and find local authorities where children who have experienced significant harm are being kept within their families or in their local networks, quite safely, with strong, targeted family support or early help services,” added Anthony Douglas

Between local authorities, Hill observed, the rate at which children are removed from their families ranges from 30 per 10,000 to 180 per 10,000. “If these rates pertained to heart disease or cancer care, we would all be marching to protest at the unfairness of the system,” he said. “The fact is, the rates are driven by variable practice, not by risk factors, and that cannot continue.”
Mick Harper
Site Admin

So your argument is "We mustn't encourage the bastards." If this is truly endemic -- and knowing the British professionalariat, I think it probably is for the foreseeable future -- we'll just have to bite on the bullet. Or rather, kids in care will.
Wile E. Coyote

I think I would say that, if the outcomes for care leavers are as bad as you maintain, then reducing the numbers that get taken in by spending additional money, on preventing them ever being taken into care in the first place, might actually help these children much more.

Reduce your numbers in care, then also your personal budget for those that unfortunately do get taken in because of serious concerns of abuse, will go futher. Same pot for those in care but now less children. It's just a different way of doing what you wanted to do at the start.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Yes, but in practice it will surely be a rerun of 'care in the community'. For those with distant memories, this was a (laudable) desire to close all the big Victorian out-of-town mental asylums and use the money instead to 'care for' the inmates in hostels, sheltered accommodation, often their own flats, in town. What happened is, that when the asylums were all safely closed and off the books, the money was no longer quite so readily forthcoming and a lot of mentally-ill people were left to sink or swim 'in the community'. On the whole, it was still worthwhile, but perhaps only just. And definitely an opportunity missed.

One of the unintended consequences is that it is virtually impossible now to get people into in-patient mental care unless they are deemed to pose a risk to others. Their own mental health needs can go hang. Plus having to put up with a lot of nutters breezing around but that's down to us and is thoroughly deserved.

Clearly, children cannot be left to sink or swim but something like it seems to be on the cards. However, if Wiley is right -- and I'm sure he is -- even sinking and swimming may be a better prognosis than, as it were, in-patient care in a full-blown local authority children's home. This is all quite apart from not putting them into care in the first place.
Wile E. Coyote

We know that within the profession and within the public that during the '80s and '90s there was a moral panic about alleged Satanic ritual abuse occurred, mainly in parts of the English-speaking world. This was propagated by certain psychotherapists, social workers, and the police or law enforcement officials.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satanic_panic

In Britain it manifested itself in Orkney.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orkney_child_abuse_scandal

I think the question is, if in some areas we are putting children in care at six times the level of others, do you also get localised moral panics, following cases of well publicised real abuse. Cases such as Victoria Climbié, Baby P?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

This must be true. Covering backs is a pre-requisite for all public servants. It is an irony that real cases of abuse in children's homes went unreported for so long. And maybe still are. However we never reached the stage of Ireland, Canada, France etc (Jersey?) where the whole thing was subcontracted to closed corporations, like the Christian Brothers, the Catholic Church or Native Administration agencies.

I hope.
Wile E. Coyote

I find this interesting given later events.

In 1990 there was a case in Rochdale in which around twenty children were removed from their homes by social services, who alleged the existence of SRA after discovering 'Satanic indicators'. No evidence was found of Satanic apparatus, and charges were dismissed when a court ruled the allegations were untrue. The children who were removed from their homes sued the city council in 2006 for compensation and an apology. Richard Scorer acted for five of the families
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Cyril Smith territory. They would have had to prove some kind of abuse of power and the courts (not family courts in this case) were not much inclined to go down that road. The ultimate abuse, positively satanic, would be for people to concoct abuse allegations so they can get their hands on the little darlings in a kids' home.

Not altogether far-fetched since the Christian Brothers had the power to prevent nice-looking illegitimate children -- routinely taken from their mothers at birth in de Valera's Ireland -- from being re-united later with their errant mums. That is when they hadn't destroyed the records of who was their mother "not wishing to jeopardise possible adoptions".

While on this jag [I'm listening to Old God's Time by Sebastian Barry currently on Radio 4] the priests only did the sexual abuse, regularly but sporadically. It was the nuns that were day-to-day vicious. The book features one last irony -- anal tears that should have got the abuser sent down (instead of being sent up to Cardinal Cunt to be sent on to a different parish) which is the symptom that got all the Middlesborough dads losing access to their children.

Satanic? More like 'by the grace of God'.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Football fans who want to get rid of their manager find themselves in the uncomfortable position of wanting their team to lose because it will hasten the manager's departure. People in Scotland opposed to independence find themselves in a similar position. Hoping for an incompetent government because it's the SNP. Should their wishes be granted and the SNP are replaced by a non-independence-seeking party, the other half of Scotland will then fervently wish to live under an incompetent government. And this looks to hold good for the next twenty years or so, at least. What a country!

Though now I come to think about it, isn't this true of Labour and Conservative in England. Democracy! What a rubbish system.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Join me in the fight for human dignity Gordon Brown, Guardian

Not quite with you there, Gordon. You were famous for being a bit of a bruiser at No 11. Poor old Tone next door wasn't given an ounce of dignity, was he? Nor was anyone else outside your magic circle of equally hard-nosed shitbags. So, if it's all the same to you, I'm going to join someone else in the fight for human dignity. But I'm always open to offers. For all I know, you might be changing your spots before our very eyes. But a raincheck, I think, on this occasion.

Anyway, you've got the Guardian on your side so I don't suppose you'll miss little old me. What a bunch of tarts they must be.
Grant

Blair should have sacked him in 2001 after winning his second general election. All the papers were saying that Brown had many supporters, but after that second GE they would have faded away.

Anyone who, like Brown, spends their entire life from an early age focused on politics is a weird fish and shouldn’t be allowed any power, witness Sturgeon, May, Hague, Corbyn. Admittedly the last two never had any power
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Blair should have sacked him in 2001 after winning his second general election.

Clearly, though shifting him to another job would surely have been sufficient. It remains a mystery why Brown retained his baleful influence for the whole of Tony's not tiny time in office. One suspects Blair had weak-man-in-strong-position syndrome. He was similarly beholden to Cherie and George Bush. Or rather Dick Cheney since Bush suffered from it too.

All the papers were saying that Brown had many supporters, but after that second GE they would have faded away.

All the more reason. Though my memory is that his supporters had faded away by then.

Anyone who, like Brown, spends their entire life from an early age focused on politics is a weird fish and shouldn’t be allowed any power, witness Sturgeon, May, Hague, Corbyn. Admittedly the last two never had any power

I'm not sure being Foreign Secretary (et al) constitutes 'no power' and Sturgeon demonstrates that the condition can be overcome but, in general, they are something of a blot on the body politic. It's only when you consider the businessmen, lawyers, housewives and trade union officials that you realise politicians are a blot on the body politic. Perhaps we should try military government.
Wile E. Coyote

Victorian diseases like malnutrition are returning, life expectancy falling and too many many parents today are facing the impossible daily decision of whether their children go without food, heating or being clean.

In Dec 1922 there was a report that 68.8 % of men were either obese or overweight. It's the same with children, out of 1000 children about a quarter are obese, another 15% overweight, with about 1% underweight. In the most deprived areas obesity is worse. We really need folks to donate more "healthy options" to the food banks. Life expectancy despite the pandemic is still rising. Up from 81.4 before to 81.7 now, future health professionals will have to ponder why life expectancy was not falling, even though Gordon thought it was.

I am sorry but it doesn't look like a return to Victorian times to Wiley.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 87, 88, 89 ... 104, 105, 106  Next

Jump to:  
Page 88 of 106

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in