MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Politics, The Final Frontier (Politics)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 104, 105, 106  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Thumbs Up!
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLAh3pui-CI

A very amusing political ad that sums it up.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Can you spot the typical AE (careful ignoral) Guardian error in this interview with the now retired doctor that pretty much stopped cot-deaths by recommending babies should sleep on their backs.

It helped that, like many of the Bristol families whose experiences were central to Fleming's research, he came form a working-class family. He grew up in Medway in Kent, where his father worked in the naval dockyard and his mother in the office of a local factory.
Ishmael

Dudes. Trump won the primaries on one issue.

IMMIGRATION.

No one else is getting his voters because every alternative intends to sell out the nation to third world scum.
Ishmael

In a race that included 16 opponents, Trump won more votes than any other Republican in history. Sound like a third party has a shot? Hardly. Might be different if Trump squeezed into a narrow victory. He DESTROYED Marco Rubio's political career in Rubio's HOME STATE.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Mick Harper wrote:
Can you spot the typical AE (careful ignoral) Guardian error in this interview with the now retired doctor that pretty much stopped cot-deaths by recommending babies should sleep on their backs.

It helped that, like many of the Bristol families whose experiences were central to Fleming's research, he came form a working-class family. He grew up in Medway in Kent, where his father worked in the naval dockyard and his mother in the office of a local factory.

Both Dr Fleming's parents worked, but they hardly qualify as 'working class'.

Social inequality/mobility has been in the news the last few days but working class barely gets mentioned. 'Making a good impression' is a problematic strategy because of racist and/or snobbery associations whereas education is safely neutral. Trouble is, education isn't the most effective way to get on. Unless you graduate from Cambridge. Or Bristol.
Wile E. Coyote

Hatty wrote:
Both Dr Fleming's parents worked, but they hardly qualify as 'working class'.

I suppose it depends what his dad actually did, but I can assure you many folks who work in a naval dockyard are working class.

I wouldn't recommend suggesting otherwise to your folks that actually work/have worked there.

How this helped DR Fleming, god only knows, as this whole baby business is a woman thing, as far as your dockers/stevedores are concerned.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

You're carefully ignoring the careful ignoral, Wiley. Have another go.

Trouble is, education isn't the most effective way to get on.

Ah but there you are wrong, Hatty, at least at the societal level, and which is why I drew attention to the piece.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I actually laughed out loud today during Channel 4 News. It started as an item about the arrest of nine members of Black Lives Matter. Chicago? North Carolina? No, London .... oh yes, I remembered just in time that Black Lives Matter over here too. Chained themselves across London City Airport to protest how ... this is the bit that caused my out-loud hoot .... climate change was disproportionately affecting black people.

Actually I was trying to compute whether this might in fact be true when I was finally pole-axed by ".... before being led away by the police. All nine demonstrators were white."
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Another point arose from this demo. Apparently they 'used the currently favoured tactic of one of their number sitting on a step ladder in the middle of the runway and the others were chained/sitting around it ....(ITV News) or in print

They then erected a tripod and locked themselves together on the runway, preventing any planes from taking off, according to police.

Anyway, the upshot was that the police were relatively helpless and the airport was closed for six hours. Am I missing something? Shouldn't it take twenty minutes, tops?
Wile E. Coyote

Mick Harper wrote:
".... before being led away by the police. All nine demonstrators were white."

I have to commend BLM for this, after all any English commander would always send the Scottish regiments or Ghurkas in first.....
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Mick Harper wrote:
I actually laughed out loud today during Channel 4 News. It started as an item about the arrest of nine members of Black Lives Matter. Chicago? North Carolina? No, London .... oh yes, I remembered just in time that Black Lives Matter over here too. Chained themselves across London City Airport to protest how ... this is the bit that caused my out-loud hoot .... climate change was disproportionately affecting black people.

Actually I was trying to compute whether this might in fact be true when I was finally pole-axed by ".... before being led away by the police. All nine demonstrators were white."

Did you see the follow-up?

It was also opportune for the all-white middle-class exhibitionists to mention refugees drowning in the Mediterranean – they should be flown here!

Presumably there would be a special air-corridor marked "Refugees only" that didn't fly over areas with any black people in them?

The baffling logic and contrived virtue was comical, but traditional Labour-supporters in faded industrial towns might wonder what the Islington Intelligentsia is smoking. Or what became of the party they used to support.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

traditional Labour-supporters in faded industrial towns might wonder ... what became of the party they used to support.

As usual, Borry, you are labouring under a massive misapprehension. Left-wing parties are always created and operated by the disaffected intelligentsia. Since disaffected intelligentsia are always disliked by everybody else their only chance of effecting radical change is to appeal to that part of the population that might benefit from radical change ie the have-nots. Whether the have-nots do benefit is something we might discuss another time.

However, one small historic note. The Labour Party used to be a vehicle for improvement for bright have-nots. With the demise of the unions, the co-ops, the WEA, even vibrant constituency parties, that route is now closed. So, yes, Borry, you are as always quite right. The disaffected intelligentsia in their Islington lairs are rather more exposed than they used to be.
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Mick Harper wrote:
As usual, Borry, you are labouring under a massive misapprehension. Left-wing parties are always
created and operated by the disaffected intelligentsia..

I'm struggling to comprehend what the misapprehension was. Did I suggest something different?

Perhaps I differ in my comprehension of what a Left-wing party is. Round this way, out in the sticks, the most vibrant "Left-wing party" is the Green Party, but its policies are so far left wing they seem to loop round the back of the known political universe and come back as ultra right wing as well.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

This Week's' Competition

Guardian TV Guide
Nigel Farage Gets His Life Back 10 pm BBC-2
The premise is obviously to recast Farage as a lovable buffoon, but why anybody would want to humanise the poster boy for one of the most heinous ideologies in living memory isn't quite so clear

Members are invited to place Nigel Farage in this list of people representing 'the most heinous ideologies in living memory'
Adolf Hitler
Benito Mussolini
Joseph Stalin
Mao Tse-Tung
Kim Il Sung
Colonel Gaddafi
General Pinochet
Pol Pot
Ayatolloah Homeini
Sadam Hussein
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 104, 105, 106  Next

Jump to:  
Page 16 of 106

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in