MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Politics, The Final Frontier (Politics)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 89, 90, 91 ... 104, 105, 106  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Wrong terminology. "From one sector of NATO's war on Russia to another."
Mick Harper
Site Admin

The International Criminal Court at the Hague does some useful work and gets acres of publicity when it weighs off some elderly git for past misdeeds but it would be much more useful if it turned its attention not to past war crimes but to present financial ones.

Al-Jazeera is currently regaling us with how billions (that's no exaggeration) are getting creamed off by the crooks governing South Africa and Zimbabwe and into the gold entrepôts of Dubai. I have no idea whether any or all of these states recognise the Court but that shouldn't stop it having a good go. Or maybe international jurists like unending grinding poverty in gold-rich southern Africa.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

The legislation admitted that government actions were based on "race prejudice, war hysteria, and a failure of political leadership." By 1992, the U.S. government eventually disbursed more than $1.6 billion (equivalent to $3.67 billion in 2021) in reparations to 82,219 Japanese Americans who had been incarcerated.

This is one of the more notable rewritings of history. I think it would be fair to say that every right-thinking person in America (and in the world) is outraged by the way Japanese-Americans were treated after Pearl Harbour. Except me. I've taken the trouble to examine what the trouble was.

Japanese-Americans in 1941 were Japanese not Americans. Not in the sense of German-Americans wandering along to the occasional Bund meeting or waving their fists at America First rallies, but in the sense of being absolutely and totally gung-ho pro-Japan. And, to be racist for a minute, unlike Germans, Japanese people are prepared to do something about it. Personally. With extreme prejudice. They are crazy bastards.

I know 'lock 'em up' is an unattractive slogan, but locking them up was the only sensible policy in 1941. Though I'm not saying paying them reparations later is necessarily wrong. Different strokes for different folks applies through time.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

An important development in British politics today. Marina Hyde has been taking the thunderous piss out of Labour in her Guardian column. And where Marina leads, the rest of the liberal commentariat follow. This is all quite normal when there's a Labour government but doing it under the Tory jackboot means only one thing

Liberation is at hand and nothing can stop it.

Not that I'm happy about the prospect of a Labour government personally. Have you seen what even their own people have started saying about them?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

It is not often that the title of 'worst country in the world' gets competed for in my head but a casual listen to Radio 4's History Hour introduced me to Eritrea. Even granted the appalling role played by outsiders from Ethiopia to the USA -- the Russians even proposed it be handed back to the former colonial power, Italy, in the 1950's because they thought the Italian communists would take over Italy -- Eritrea is a very, very nasty place.

The History Hour concentrated on, of all things, conscription because conscripts, both men and women, are expected to serve for life, either guarding the frontiers or just working (for subsistence pay) doing whatever the state tells them to do. It's kind of like Stalinist communism minus the ideology. The bloke that led the thirty year war of independence against Ethiopia which had decided, in 1962, Eritrea was part of Ethiopia, is still in power so, I suppose, their best last hope is that he will die of old age soon.

But if I know my Africa, things can only get worse when he does. I think the Russians had a point.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I finally got round to reading the Manchester Guardian Special Issue 'Cotton Capital' -- I'm a pushover for economic history. But it was entirely about slavery and black people so, after checking whether there was anything about the black players of United and City (there wasn't), I regretfully laid it aside. But not before I had read the opening para

This magazine marks a significant moment in the history of the Guardian. The newspaper's journalists and readers have long been inspired by the story of its founding in Manchester 202 years ago by liberal reformists in the aftermath of the 1819 Peterloo massacre. This story is still true. But there is now another chapter to add: not a rewriting of our history, but a deeper and more complex understanding of our past.

Speaking now wearing my revisionist historian's hat rather than my fascist one, I have to say, in the Guardian's hands, it will be a rewriting of history, and likely to lead to a shallower and more simplistic understanding of our past. Still, I welcome it. More grist to the mill. (See what I did there?)
Mick Harper
Site Admin

There was a disturbing Newsnight piece on the cyberwar being undertaken between Ukraine and Russia with -- but of course -- all the plaudits going to Ukraine. However, the West shouldn't get too gung-ho about it because we've got an awfully lot more to lose than anyone else on the cyber-battlefield. It all started when the Americans developed Slugworm (was it?) to interfere with Iranian uranium refining and were mightily surprised when the Iranians turned it back on them to start interfering with their power grids, airports and what have you.

Nor is it the imbalance of potential targets that is the only worry, the 'other side' (as an AE-ist, I shouldn't have one) have a huge advantage in terms of computer experts. True, we've got more and better ones than they have but theirs have official resources and facilities to back them up. Ours are constantly handicapped by "Are you going to be on that computer all night? You've got school in the morning."
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Brazil's new lefty president is in China to conflab with their old (left/right/who can tell?) president. This is all part of BRICS (originally Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa) an attempt by various countries to counterweight perceived western dominance. We can all get behind that in a let-a-hundred-flowers-bloom sort of way. But Ukraine keeps on being the spectre at the intended feast.

Poor old presidents Lula and Xi are perfectly aware they have no business doing other than condemning one country invading another country for no overwhelmingly good reason but they are also perfectly aware that if they do, BRICS will collapse before it has left the drawing board. So Lulu has joined Pong in calling for negotiations. Next!
Mick Harper
Site Admin

So they won't be joining any great sanctions-on-Russia programme. Nor should they. Let us observe what has happened so far:

1. The entire world has been plunged into instability because Russian energy and agricultural products have been either withheld or diverted, meaning sky high prices for both
2. Europe has been especially affected because of its proximity to and reliance on Russian energy and agricultural products, meaning reluctance by various parties to prosecute the war vigorously
3. Sky high prices in their two major export sectors means Russia has benefited substantially because of sanctions

Consider what would have happened if no sanctions had been applied.

1. The entire world would have breezed along, free to oppose Russia (or not) to their heart's content
2. Europe would have breezed along, free to oppose Russia tooth and claw
3. Russia would have been slightly worse off and not able to galvanise its population quite so readily because those dastardly westerners were making their lives a misery

Does this mean, when a similar situation arises in the future, anyone will say, "Yes, I know it feels bad not doing everything in our power to hurt the bastards but let's think about it just for a few moments before we rush headlong into it"? What do you think?
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Mick Harper wrote:
So they won't be joining any great sanctions-on-Russia programme. Nor should they.

Has Russia the ability to be able to sustain the SMO with sanctions in place? I can't see it myself, it is one thing to beat sanctions so that the general public can eventually purchase a reasonable Armenian smart phone until, that is, supplies run out, quite another to set up efficient dependable supply chains needed to support a successful high tech SMO for a couple of years. Can they buy in new instead? Appears not. It's a case of stumbling and grumbling at 0% GDP growth (could have been, what, 5 %+, as it was before invasion of Crimea) with the military taking a much bigger slice of public spending, just so that in a couple of years they look very much like the old Soviet-style command military economy. I could be wrong but folks at the front look poorly equipped and supplied still.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

All of this may be true. The point I am making is that sanctions have hurt the sanctioners way more than the sanctionee. The other point (that I didn't make) is that there is no sign that the sanctions will achieve or are likely to achieve their purpose i.e. bringing Russia to the negotiation table. If they didn't achieve their purpose anyway, what was the point of imposing them? Just for the sake of it, I reckon.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

It was depressing watching German Greens celebrating the announcement that the last of their nuclear power stations are being phased out ahead of time. There are lots of arguments that can be made, for and against, when it comes to building new nuclear plants but there is not a single viable (Green) argument about closing down existing ones. And definitely not German ones where safety and waste disposal is toppo notcho.

It is not disputed that nuclear is the best option for carbon-free base-load electricity generation so getting rid of ones that are already there, bought and paid for, is completely stoopid. But Germany has been exceptionally dumb about the whole question ever since Angelica Markel started closing them down in the wake of Fukushima. Get a lot of tsunamis round your way, do you, pet?

The Brits are building new ones. The two biggies are, as per, over budget and never-finished but the new mini-ones will get planning approval as soon as we can find a cluster of non-Nimbies outside Cumberland. Though why we can't build them all up there I don't know. (Grid overload problems?) But mini-nuke farms, that's the way to go. Offshore nuke farms even. Off-planet nuke farms if we can solve the grid problems.
Wile E. Coyote

Mick Harper wrote:
All of this may be true. The point I am making is that sanctions have hurt the sanctioners way more than the sanctionee. The other point (that I didn't make) is that there is no sign that the sanctions will achieve or are likely to achieve their purpose i.e. bringing Russia to the negotiation table. If they didn't achieve their purpose anyway, what was the point of imposing them? Just for the sake of it, I reckon.

Sanctions are a slow form of attritional warfare. Russia appear to have logistics supply chain weaknesss which is why Ukraine's military often targets these, and sanctions complement this strategy. Sanctions will not stop Russia eventually getting in parts, what it will do is make this more difficult, time consuming, costly and so on, and grow Russia's dependence on an unreliable, more expensive black economy.

Russia does not want negotiations as a pre-condtion of any talks, it wants Donetsk, Luhansk, Kherson, Zaporizhzhia. It has, and continues to launch, massive infantry and artillery attacks, e.g. around Bakhmut, to achieve this SMO aim. Once these aims have been achieved, according to Lavrov they will try and land lock Ukraine by capturing Odessa, but they can only do this successfully if they can supply their military and all the personnel supporting the SMO in the 4 areas they are determined to take.

Ukraine does not want negotiations as it wants to get back to the fabled 1991 borders. My take is that the sanctions are not to get Russia to negotiate, they are there to tip the balance so as to favour the Ukrainian war effort.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Sanctions are a slow form of attritional warfare.

No, they are too slow-acting for war timeframes. They are what you use instead of war.

Russia appear to have logistics supply chain weaknesss which is why Ukraine's military often targets these, and sanctions complement this strategy. Sanctions will not stop Russia eventually getting in parts, what it will do is make this more difficult, time consuming, costly and so on, and grow Russia's dependence on an unreliable, more expensive black economy.

You've answered your own point. Russia is all-weakness. It spends its whole time making-do and mending. Sanctions make a minimal addition to every other bottleneck. Compare to the recent shortage (sanction, if you like) of chips in sophisticated economies. Instant mayhem replaces just-in-time.

Russia does not want negotiations as a pre-condtion of any talks, it wants Donetsk, Luhansk, Kherson, Zaporizhzhia. It has, and continues to launch, massive infantry and artillery attacks, e.g. around Bakhmut, to achieve this SMO aim.

What war are you on, Wiley? It continues to launch pitiful attacks, spearheaded by Wagner mercenaries for goodness sake, and can't even capture a one-horse town in the middle of nowhere.

Once these aims have been achieved

Once Bakhmut is in the bag!
according to Lavrov they will try and land lock Ukraine by capturing Odessa

Well, I haven't heard this, but if Comrade Lavrov has been revealing future campaign strategy to you he will be shot at dawn.

but they can only do this successfully if they can supply their military and all the personnel supporting the SMO in the 4 areas they are determined to take.

You mean like they haven't been able to do in the one area they are determined to take, Bakhmut.

Ukraine does not want negotiations as it wants to get back to the fabled 1991 borders.

More fool them. And more fool us if we go along with them

My take is that the sanctions are not to get Russia to negotiate, they are there to tip the balance so as to favour the Ukrainian war effort.

Your take appears to have been wrong all along the line so far but it appears to be the view of the west which keeps piling more on.
Wile E. Coyote

Mick Harper wrote:

Your take appears to have been wrong all along the line so far but it appears to be the view of the west which keeps piling more on.

Well I certainly thought that Putin would not invade Ukraine, and certainly that they would not go for the capital Kyev. If only I had listened to Biden. Seems to me Biden is actually doing quite well, giving Ukraine some weaponry, not the most advanced, and supportting it with a package of sanctions. If he wanted to pile on the pressure he could give Ukraine long range missile systems that the Ukrainians and others have argued for, but Biden (Blinken?) seems to favour giving the Ukrainians weapons to defend themselves but not fire too far into Russian territory.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 89, 90, 91 ... 104, 105, 106  Next

Jump to:  
Page 90 of 106

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in