MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Megalithic Astronomy (Astrophysics)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

The 40 degrees latitude looks promising. Good grief. It shows Constantinople as the crossing point, probably wrong but definitely more exciting. Using a globe.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Stop there. You are not right but you are getting close enough to spoil it for others. You will be given half-credits.
Brian Ambrose

Yes, please don't post the answer until I've had a chance to check my globe, which I'll do tonight, honest.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Both problems, Bri. We await you getting from the dinner table to the potting shed unscathed.
Chad

In: Ramsbottom

Mick Harper wrote:
Both problems...

You've given us the answer to that second one (at least once) before... so I'll not spoil it.

But back to the first... I was a bit off with my description. I meant to pass though Baffin Bay not Hudson Bay, but I assume that's still not correct.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

For your eyes only, Chad. Take the solution to the second problem (which you know) and say, "That's the most famous example of ... ", then ask, "What's the second most famous example..." and that will give you the solution to the other problem.

But as the First World War song has it: Hush, here comes the whiz-Bri.
Chad

Oh yes, I can see where that would fit, but I really need to lay my hands on a globe to confirm it.
Chad

Ha... Just seen a photo of a globe centred on almost exactly that lactation (on Ebay no less) and it definitely confirms it!

I'll keep it under wraps.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

As we all know, you and Brian think along the same tramlines so the whole thing will be settled by this time tomorrow.
Brian Ambrose

Ah, yes. I agree with Chad. Should I post my findings now, or wait?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Now. I shall be postng the "official" results for both experiments at 2 pm.
Brian Ambrose

OK... My method was to find a decent online Mercantor projection (not easy) because trying to put an elastic band around my globe at home wasn't very successful. I realised that the line I was looking for would have to be two connected semicircles (with a radius of half the height of the map) when projected onto a projection that flattened a sphere, and that the line through the origins we are looking for must leave an equal area above and below it. Anyway, the approximate centres I came up with was about 28 degrees south at a longitude of about 110 west, and about 12 degrees north, 80 degrees east. This misses all land masses except a bit at the top and maybe a bit of Antarctica.

The closest to these origins is Easter Island (almost bang on), and somewhere on the east coast of India.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I don't think it can be done with a Mercator Projection but anyway when I give the Official Version (in this case of course the Crazies Version) everybody can inspect their claims with one's own.

PS How did Chad miss Easter Island?
Chad

Mick Harper
Site Admin

All right, Chad, you haven't cracked it but you can now reveal your working.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jump to:  
Page 3 of 4

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in