MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
llaw eht no rorrim rorrim (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Hermes draws attention to his feet by wearing trademark scarlet boots. You'd think bright red would hardly be the colour a hunter would choose, for disguise purposes at least. Perhaps some animals are colour-blind as far as red is concerned.

At any rate the British carry on the tradition with their hunting pink and red uniforms, rather perversely it might seem.
Hatty
Site Admin

nemesis8 wrote:
you are tracking deer, far away from camp....

You need a change of fortune. Or rather you need to change your prey's fortune....

Altering tracks is one of the oldest tricks in the oral story "book"

The Hermes-hermit connection is well known but there's also an animal-whispering dimension, many hermits were said to have had animal companions and Anthony, the 'first' hermit, was the patron saint of domestic animals (despite, apparently, being marooned in the middle of a desert).

Your deer 'funnelling' reminds me of reindeer herders who direct the herds at certain times of the year (for culling, slaughter, check ups, etc.). People line the sides of the route to force the animals to keep on the straight and narrow.

This might have a connection with cursuses which are supposed to be even more ancient than henges etc. and , pace Mick, are only visible close up. They characteristically end at or near a bend in a river which are ideal corrals, as you've pointed out.
Hatty
Site Admin

Another thing about 'Thrice-Great Hermes' resonates with his roles as god of animal husbandry and birds of omen. The rule of thumb when divvying up the catch is a third for the hunter, a third for the birds and a third for stock.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

The Hermes-hermit connection is well known

Are you sure? There's me, and you and ... er .... Don't forget, we made the whole thing up!
Hatty
Site Admin

I thought no-one else had made the connection until I came across "hermits (servants of Hermes)" in a book by John Michell, the guru of the astroarchaeologists or whatever they call themselves.

He was an influential writer in his day so presumably several thousand people are aware of the relationship though nobody seems to have run with it as far as we have. Fortunately we paid Michell due respect, exceptionally so.
Hatty
Site Admin

The Hermes-hermit connection is well known

Perhaps not. It was you who lent me the Michell book!

One of those 'facts' that leaps out when the connection is looked for but generally goes unnoticed?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

This quote from Michell's book clears up the question of atribution

Their guide was the earth spirit, later identified with Hermes whose dual aspect is reflected in the twin, negative and positive currents of the St Michael line. On the high places along the axis of the line, beacon lights were tended by hermits who, as the word implies, were traditional servants of Hermes.

http://www.gothicimage.co.uk/books/newlight1.html

It seems (as usual) I was claiming too much for myself!
Hatty
Site Admin

The reference in the New View Over Atlantis book was unknown to me when I suggested the hermit/Hermes idea on this site, it's some consolation to be seconded by Michell though I can no longer claim the credit. Tant pis.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I thought it was me! Oh well, since it's original to neither of us I don't suppose it matters.
Hatty
Site Admin

The interesting point is that even though you'd read John Michell's book the hermit/Hermes link hadn't registered.

From the on-line excerpt the New Light seems embarrassingly mawkish. I'm beginning to wonder whether alluding to Michell is such a good idea especially as I'd made the link independently.
nemesis8

In: byrhfunt

Hatty wrote:
Hermes draws attention to his feet by wearing trademark scarlet boots. You'd think bright red would hardly be the colour a hunter would choose, for disguise purposes at least. Perhaps some animals are colour-blind as far as red is concerned.

At any rate the British carry on the tradition with their hunting pink and red uniforms, rather perversely it might seem.

He wears them to protect his heels
nemesis8

Hatty wrote:

Your deer 'funnelling' reminds me of reindeer herders who direct the herds at certain times of the year (for culling, slaughter, check ups, etc.). People line the sides of the route to force the animals to keep on the straight and narrow.

This might have a connection with cursuses which are supposed to be even more ancient than henges etc. and , pace Mick, are only visible close up. They characteristically end at or near a bend in a river which are ideal corrals, as you've pointed out.

A good piece of N8telope tracking.

Still lets be clear. All hunters use the fact that deer funnel always have done.
nemesis8

Hatty wrote:
Another thing about 'Thrice-Great Hermes' resonates with his roles as god of animal husbandry and birds of omen. The rule of thumb when divvying up the catch is a third for the hunter, a third for the birds and a third for stock.

Aha three symbolism.
nemesis8

Mick Harper wrote:
Are you sure? There's me, and you and ... er .... Don't forget, we made the whole thing up!

Harper thought it was Hats. Hats thought it was Harper. Maybe it was Mitchell....

Hermes. Hermit..... same linguistic origin... both hunters.....

I doubt the rest......

But then again, I am just a tolerated trespasser.....

What do I know?

Appy Equinoxi.
Hatty
Site Admin

Backtracking just a bit...
Wile E. Coyote wrote:
nemesis8 wrote:
Ishmael wrote:
It does?

What is the purpose of this thread??

I suppose it's about mirror symbolism and the origins of writing.

Foot.....Foot(prints)...Symbolism....Writing.....

Footprints tell the hunter the whole story on earth. He's also aided and considerately abetted by carrion birds following the herds up above.

Hermes is said to have invented the alphabet, from the flight of swans migrating to the Far North, from the flight of cranes as Thoth the Egyptian Hermes. These myths which are supposed to be Greek surely have a far older and quite different origin.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Jump to:  
Page 3 of 5

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in