MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
llaw eht no rorrim rorrim (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nemesis8

In: byrhfunt

Mick Harper wrote:
This could be important

It might well be.

I now have a few big pieces that fit well.

Some of the smaller ones are total buggers.

I reckon I am suffering from the curse of AE too many promising lines of enquiry...not enough time.

Still any suggestions still welcome.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

nemesis8 wrote:
You can alter the odds by tricking your prey.....

nemesis8

So Coyote....bravely refuses to skulk.

The heart of the hunter/trickster/thief.....

The brain of a pignut.
nemesis8

Ishmael wrote:
This is what happens to former leftists as they age, when they can't quite bring themselves to condemn the foolishness of their youth and embrace the right. They become "wise liberals." Mick thinks he's bravely tracking a new political course when, in reality, he's just blindly following the same path trod by every half-intelligent old left-winger before him.

He has no idea how people on the political right actually think. He simply mirrors his leftist experience and assumes it holds true.

Aha...
nemesis8

Hatty wrote:

Destroying ships and crossing the Rubicon are popular ways to say not going back, though it's actually about going forwards which is reminiscent of Hermes making his stolen cattle appear to be walking backwards.

nemesis8

N8 dont do classics.

I need a reminder.

Hermes.

Patron of: Heralds; Messengers.

Patron of: Messages from the gods; Birds of omen; Prophetic dreams Divination by pebbles.

Patron of: Cattle-herders; Shepherds; Goatherds; Horse & mule breeders; Grazing pastures; Cave shelters; Guard-dogs; Animal predators.

Patron of: Bucolic poetry & music; Animal fables (eg the tales of Aesop).

Patron of: Markets; Merchants; Trade; Commerce.

Patron of: Roads; Travellers; Laws of hospitality; Protector of guests.

Patron of: the Home; Guard-dogs.

Patron of: Thieves; Cattle-rustlers; Bandits.

Patron of: Luck; Gamblers; Merchants.

Patron Writing; Learning; Memory; Eloquence; Oratory; Astronomy.

Patron of: Passage of souls to the underworld.

Characteristics: Wiley, Crafty, Tricky......
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Nemesis, can you say where you got this list?
nemesis8

No problem...

http://www.theoi.com/Summary/Hermes.html

Is it wrong?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

No, not at all. We feature most of his attributes in the book in various guises but a couple mentioned in this wondrous list of yours caught my eye as being new viz
1) his son AETHALIDES, Argonaut hero, who had an unfailing memory -- which would seem to be a reference to Druids and their memory systems and
2) his birthplace in Arkadia in Greece -- which features in Et In Arcadia Ego by Poussin and features centrally in the Rennes le Chateau mystery.

Although The Megalithic Empire turned out to make Hermes the star, this was quite accidental and arose (I seem to remember) purely because somebody mentioned Hermes in relation to Hermits in this discussion group. See! You are useful after all!

PS Someone should check out whether the Michael/Apollo line goes through Arcadia.
nemesis8

Mick Harper wrote:
1) his son AETHALIDES, Argonaut hero, who had an unfailing memory -- which would seem to be a reference to Druids and their memory systems and
2) his birthplace in Arkadia in Greece -- which features in Et In Arcadia Ego by Poussin and features centrally in the Rennes le Chateau mystery.

Although The Megalithic Empire turned out to make Hermes the star, this was quite accidental and arose (I seem to remember) purely because somebody mentioned Hermes in relation to Hermits in this discussion group. See! You are useful after all!

Yeah you guys know a lot lot more about Hermes than me...

Why on earth did I mention him.....asking for trouble...

Can't even get his basic attributes right.....

Could blame my lack of university education and the fact that I have only 3 books in my library (THOBR and 2 others) but Ish reckons that's to my advantage. So that's no excuse.

Ah yes where was I?..... Hermes is very very old and he was of course a hunter......
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

nemesis8 wrote:
Hermes is very very old and he was of course a hunter......

No-one else gets to the hermetic nub, that hunting is the essential skill. You should write a book.
nemesis8

Hatty wrote:
No one else gets to the hermetic nub, that hunting is the essential skill. You should write a book.

"Damn! And I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for your meddling....."

Our Lady has worked it out...
nemesis8

You are a hunter (most of the party gave up, returned to camp and are now eating pignuts) you are tracking deer, far away from camp....

You need a change of fortune. Or rather you need to change your prey's fortune....

Altering tracks is one of the oldest tricks in the oral story "book"

In some cultures a cross is put through the prints, in others the tracks are wiped out. In some the tracks are reversed
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

nemesis8 wrote:
Ishmael wrote:
It does?

What is the purpose of this thread??

I suppose its about mirror symbolism and the origins of writing.

Foot.....Foot(prints)...Symbolism....Writing.....

Aha.
nemesis8

You might think that Wile.

You might very well think that.

I....

I could not possibly comment.

Welcome to The Hunt.

TBC.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 5

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in