MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Historical Fictions (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ishmael

In: Toronto

How do we know that the Da Vinci sketch books are fraudulent?

At the time of their discovery, the inventions they contained had already been invented.
Ishmael

Moreover, much of the material (including the infamous "bicycle") celebrates wonders of the age in which the the sketch books emerged. The drawings celebrate the mythos of progress, not of Leonardo's time, but of the mid 20th century when at least two of the books were "discovered".

An amusing "story" is contained in the sketch books...

He [Leonardo] built a working model of one of his flying machines and on January 2, 1496, he recorded in his notes that he was going to attempt to fly it the next day. It is unknown whether he didn't try or if the flight was a failure. Later on he did make a note to himself to try any more flying experiments over a lake where he would be less likely to be injured in a landing. Atlanticus also contains a design for a parachute which might have been conceived to allow for the safe escape of any pilot from a flying device.
-- Leonardo's Notebooks

Isn't it fortunate that Leonardo made two notes to himself, telling us both the beginning and end of this little tale of adventure?
Ishmael

How did Leonardo Da Vinci's inventions affect the world?

Not much...
-- Answers.com
Ishmael

Leonardo's experiments in flight and his work on the Mona Lisa supposedly occurred at the same time. Is this because the man lacked focus?

No.

It is because here we have the convergence of two overlapping legends constructed by forgers who did not consult with one another before inventing their tales.
Ishmael

I dare you to look for the details concerning the discovery of the various sketch books. Go ahead. Google it.

And google it.

and google it some more.

No one talks about it.

My spidey-sense is tingling.
Ishmael

The more you look into this, the more you laugh.

On page 3 I saw an unusual picture of a calculator titled "Leonardo da Vinci's Calculator". I started asking around about this calculator, but the more I asked, the less I knew, as it is not mentioned in any other book.
-- The Controversial Replica of Leonardo da Vinci's Adding Machine
nemesis8

In: byrhfunt

I wasn't going to comment until Ish had assembled his case.

However I do remember being slightly surprised (In fact this was when researching perspective) when I discovered that Leo was not the only famous Italian to have used mirror writing and been obsessed with optics colour and perspective.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matteo_Zaccolini

Why Leo and Matteo used mirror writing is still unexplained. There have been a number of attempts.....

1) Lefthanded
2) Practising develops a brain awareness of perspective
3) They were being secretive.

None of it, to me, seems convincing.

Of course there could be another explanation.....
Ishmael

And what is your explanation?
Ishmael

Matteo Zaccolini painted the Last Supper in the early 17th century. Leonardo, of the 16th century, is his original fiction. But he was not the last to create under the nom de plume.
Ishmael

A historian, Giuseppe Silos, from the Theatines, in 1666 described Zaccolini as 'Geniuses of our order and most admirable men of his age'.
-- Wikipedia

Really. Where is all of his work? Where is his legacy?

All of it attributed to another?
nemesis8

In: byrhfunt

Ishmael wrote:
And what is your explanation?

I really ain't looked at it....I glanced at the notebooks on line... my feeling was ...

looks like.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boustrophedon

So my eyes see what appears at first ancient script/ with wondrous modern inventions.

However all can be revealed....

It's designed to amaze.

It's a bit like a magic trick?

Don't know really.
Angus McOatup

In: England

Ishmael wrote:
How do we know that the Da Vinci sketch books are fraudulent?

At the time of their discovery, the inventions they contained had already been invented.

There does appear to be a mystery as to how and when the Windsor material came to be in the Royal Collection ?
Send private message Send e-mail
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

This is indeed the smoking gun.
Angus McOatup

In: England

Mick Harper wrote:
This is indeed the smoking gun.

....and all writers on the subject preface themselves by saying 'of course half of Da Vinci's notebooks are still lost'.

AE would say ...'still being written up'. Just in time for the next zillionaire who wants one...
Send private message Send e-mail
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

I may be wrong but the point about the Windsor stuff (which 'came out' in the early twentieth century) was that all the earlier provenances are distinctly iffy. Windsor is the first date everybody can agree on. Of course the early twentieth century was exactly the moment when all the Da Vince visionary science stuff became just workaday present cf Ishmael.

The involvement of the Windsors is often questioned. Setting aside lizards and Anthony Blunt, my own view is that some royal courtier was stiffed with the Leonardo forgeries in Edwardian times and, since royal prestige is involved -- not to mention a few bob -- it has been covered up ever since.

There is nothing necessarily suspicious in this 'cover up', it is normal practice for all owners, galleries, museums etc to tacitly collude (when they are not being perfectly genuine) in cleaving to the status quo. Which really does benefit practically everyone. Remember, we are all happier in a world in which Leonardo was a towering genius. Only Applied Epistemologists would dissent.
Reply to topic Goto page 1, 2  Next

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in