MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Megalithic Terraforming (British History)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Have you checked whether Paul Devereux is handing out the magic mushrooms this time? If he's not, let me know ASAP, I might be able to contact one of my local Druids, and get some in the post to you. ;-)
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Mick Harper wrote:
Rather ingenious, Coyote

Not really, I am just progressing at snail's pace by proof and refutation.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Two Japanese islands are called Cat Island and Rabbit Island after the respective animals, both of which are notoriously water shy. There are in fact many Rabbit Islands all over the world but the Japanese one, Ōkunoshima, is perhaps the most interesting as it was a secret base in WWII for producing mustard and tear gas, another characteristic associated with islands providing privacy. Britain of course had a similar project, this time anthrax, on Gruinard Island in the far north of Scotland (very close in fact to the Tarifa meridian we followed).

The tidal causewayed islands are different, only big enough to accommodate one building, two at best. But highly suitable for building a lighthouse or beacon-chapel to which access need only be twice a day. And, since only a handful of people is required, it wouldn't take long to get across at low tide.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Hatty wrote:
Two Japanese islands are called Cat Island and Rabbit Island after the respective animals...

There's a Cat Island in the Bimini area too.

I wonder if there is any evidence of zoomorphic figures on these Japanese islands?
Wile E. Coyote

Hatty wrote:

beacon-chapel

Chapel=Cape.... disguised (cloaked) promontory point?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

First, an apology. I described Paul Devereux as a fan of TME. I was mixing him up with Paul Broadhurst. Paul D's probably never heard of us. His talk last night was rather good. The druggy stuff demonstrated that they were all at it but, unfortunately from our technical point of view, just the usual ritual/shaman theories. He dealt with drug finds at the Ness of Brodgar excavations (which are amazing -- check 'em out) and agreed with our theory that the Orkney megalithia was a university campus. Though he didn't draw the obvious conclusion that students use drugs for studying. And the faculty use them for thinking.

The second half was all about rocks that rang metalically when struck. It was obvious that the ancients prized these but why they did wasn't clear. It's rather neato banging one rock on another rock and getting a dull bell-like sound but why you would want to make a song-and-dance about this wasn't wondered at, except the usual ritual explanation. Hatty conjectured that it was to summon the local hermit but I reckon a loud, "Oi, hermit!" would do the job just as well.

From an AE perspective though I was slightly astounded that in all my years I had never heard about these unusual but not particularly rare rocks and why the local tourist boards don't tell you about them. This sort of hands-on experience would be great for the kiddies, and get them out of the museums' hands-on experiences.
Boreades

My daughter's into Rock Music, I'll have to ask her about this.
Boreades

Personally, from a hard-to-get-rid-of engineering point of view, I have my doubts. Every engineer I've know who's worth their salt (or saltare, if they are a Scottish Engineer) know that objects that resonate well-enough to make a good sound are actually self-destructing.

Resonance = vibration.

Think of the car you drive. If it's a little old classic British car, it resonates like, err, a little old classic British car, and leaves a trail of broken parts in its wake. Whereas, a well-engineered German/Japanese car does not resonate and shake itself to bits.

By which I mean that any old megalithic stones that did (by chance) resonate would gradually loose bits and fall out of resonance, or fall to bits, whatever comes first.
Boreades

In case anyone thinks I'm anti-British, I'm well open to suggestions that British Leyland was channelling ancient Druids who had knocked-out an extra income fine-tuning megaliths to produce a pleasing resonance.
Wile E. Coyote

Mick Harper wrote:
First, an apology. I described Paul Devereux as a fan of TME. I was mixing him up with Paul Broadhurst.

That is a downer, we thought you had converted the world's leading archaeoacoustic scholar, but it turns out you have persuaded a golfer, still.... better that, than a ex Hereford Goalie.....

Mick Harper wrote:

The second half was all about rocks that rang metalically when struck. It was obvious that the ancients prized these but why they did wasn't clear. It's rather neato banging one rock on another rock and getting a dull bell-like sound but why you would want to make a song-and-dance about this wasn't wondered at, except the usual ritual explanation. Hatty conjectured that it was to summon the local hermit but I reckon a loud, "Oi, hermit!" would do the job just as well.

From an AE perspective though I was slightly astounded that in all my years I had never heard about these unusual but not particularly rare rocks and why the local tourist boards don't tell you about them. This sort of hands-on experience would be great for the kiddies, and get them out of the museums' hands-on experiences.

http://www.landscape-perception.com/archaeoacoustics/
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Back in the nineteenth century the idea of a British perpetual choir was popular and the earth mysteries movement ran with it in the twentieth century. The purpose is supposed to be a kind of enchanted circle but if rocks were indeed being routinely bashed it may have been a system of time-keeping, not so different from later clocks, was in place.

The rocks themselves weren't necessarily sacred but it would probably be sensible to mark out the 'ringers' either to assist the, as it were, bell-ringers, maybe as a Keep Off sign to others.
Wile E. Coyote

Hatty wrote:
Back in the nineteenth century the idea of a British perpetual choir was popular and the earth mysteries movement ran with it in the twentieth century. The purpose is supposed to be a kind of enchanted circle but if rocks were indeed being routinely bashed it may have been a system of time-keeping, not so different from later clocks, was in place.

The rocks themselves weren't necessarily sacred but it would probably be sensible to mark out the 'ringers' either to assist the, as it were, bell-ringers, maybe as a Keep Off sign to others.

Khronos= Time/Chronology

Chorus

Choir

Circus

Church

All "circle" words.
Wile E. Coyote

Looking at the article (the bit about rock paintings) you get the impression that they think these sounds might accompany the paintings. The cave is a type of cinema.

As we dont know if the stones, at say Stonehenge, were painted we might also think of this as a multiplex with a sound system.

Maybe this served a storytelling function.
N R Scott

In: Middlesbrough

Wile E. Coyote wrote:
As we dont know if the stones, at say Stonehenge, were painted we might also think of this as a multiplex with a sound system.

This is a genius idea. If I had better Photoshop skills I'd mock it up to see what it looked like.

If someone was spinning around in the middle would the pictures create an animation effect? Like a zoetrope.
Boreades

Re the "perpetual choirs", John Michell was a great advocate of them, but I don't why.
e.g.
John Michell demonstrated that the ancient Celtic 'perpetual choirs' at Llantwit manor, Glastonbury Abbey and Stonehenge were 'three vertices of a regular decagon of majestic proportions. A fourth vertex exists at Goring-on Thames where a major pagan temple once stood at the junction of several important track ways'. The centre of the decagon is at the apparently insignificant hamlet of Whiteleaved Oak where the former counties of Hereford, Gloucester and Worcester come together.

But what was at Llantwit manor and Goring-on Thames that qualified them for this special status?

My ref: http://www.ancient-wisdom.co.uk/decagon.htm
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Jump to:  
Page 3 of 5

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in