MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Fake or Find (APPLIED EPISTEMOLOGY)
Reply to topic Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Fake or Find

Here we will post and discuss new discoveries and attempt to determine their authenticity using Applied Epistemology.
Ishmael

Our first exhibit:

Oldest Draft of the King James Bible (supposedly a translator's notebook).

Fake or Find?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

First I'll put the fake-ish pointers.

The King James Bible is the most widely read work in English literature

And so the most profitable to fake.

the earliest known draft, and the only one definitively written in the hand of one of the roughly four dozen translators who worked on it

It is exceedingly rare to find drafts. It is exceedingly exceedingly rare to find the draft that is the earliest one known. It is exceedingly exceedingly exceedingly rare that the earliest one known turns out also to be the only one in the handwriting of one of the translators. Though one wonders in who else's hand a draft could possibly be.

While the notebook has yet to be examined by other scholars, experts who have reviewed Professor Miller’s research

As far as I can see 'other scholars' must mean 'experts qualified to judge the Professor's research' so this implies rent-a-quote.

He was hoping to find an unknown letter, which he did.
.... But he also came across an unassuming notebook about the size of a modern paperback, wrapped in a stained piece of waste vellum and filled with some 70 pages of Ward’s nearly indecipherable handwriting.

This is called Schliemann Syndrome. You find one thing, you're a lucky scholar. You find two things you're ... maybe something else. But I have to say, Ishmael, despite the above I was rather inclined to go for Find.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

This is a partial draft whereas Schliemann 'found' the whole shebang. It's surprising that Sidney Sussex College didn't know they possessed the notebook, perhaps being Cambridge there was an embarrassment of literary riches.

Interesting to hear that Shakespeare is now considered a combination of writers too

In recent years, scholars have chipped away at the idea of Shakespeare’s plays as the product of an isolated genius, emphasizing instead the intensely collaborative nature of Elizabethan theater.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

I wish I had thought up this thread. I wish I had come up with Mick's response. But I didn't.

I will plump for insignificant find. First of all I thought it was a fake as Professor Miller was so deperate for a find. Seek and you will find as the saying goes.

But the more I looked at it the more unexcited I became, it was just a notebook not a first draft KJV at all, it's a notebook that discusses a small part of a bible, it didn't really give us anything that we didn't know before, despite what Doctor Miller says..

We can't accurately date it, we can't know for sure it's by Samuel Ward at this stage. But even if it was, so what? We have other documents by Ward and so what if he took a few notes when he was translating?

Mr Miller is trying to show it as a original first draft. (WOW)

It's part of a process..... slow boring collective continuity.

FIND
aurelius

This reminds me of the day we unexpectedly found a vellum indenture in the Library strong room: it was signed by several people, including one 'Isaac Newton'. I say "unexpectedly" because none of the staff knew of it and it was not recorded in the old card or bound catalogues.
Ishmael

This is a true story??
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Probably a true story but not a true event. In other words it did happen but it won't be Ike's signature. By the by, if it was anyone but Aurelius I would say this is certainly a "it happened to a friend of mine but to increase credibility I will say it was me -- this is quite fair because I really, really trust my friend" story. How do I know? The Library is not named.
Ishmael

Mick Harper wrote:
How do I know? The Library is not named.

This is the sort of thing at which I am no good. Spotting obfuscation that conceals falsehood and careful ignoral.
aurelius

Mick Harper wrote:
Probably a true story but not a true event. In other words it did happen but it won't be Ike's signature. By the by, if it was anyone but Aurelius I would say this is certainly a "it happened to a friend of mine but to increase credibility I will say it was me -- this is quite fair because I really, really trust my friend" story. How do I know? The Library is not named.

This is a true story; and it is a genuine signature (and seal). I did the necessary research and even wrote a small book about it. My main point, though, is to show how sometimes libraries lose track of what they have, especially if the item is not specifically asked for, after all, why would a someone expect a public library to have such a thing? And in a City with no connection to Newton?
aurelius

Ishmael wrote:
Mick Harper wrote:
How do I know? The Library is not named.

This is the sort of thing at which I am no good. Spotting obfuscation that conceals falsehood and careful ignoral.

Where I (still) work didn't seem that relevant to the main point. I don't know where you work, or anyone else on here for that matter. I'm happy to contact you direct if you like.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

You can contact me direct. I need someone with access to a library. You can start by saying how old was the vellum (much more interesting than some Newtoniana). And what's an indenture?
Wile E. Coyote

Wiley heard about this on radio 5

The folks from Bosnia, of Bosnian Pyramid fame, are not giving up.

They have balls. Large ones.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/11/mysterious-giant-sphere-unearthed-in-forest-divides-opinion/
Mick Harper
Site Admin

All in all, my money's on natural phenomenon.
Wile E. Coyote

This is an article on the Costa-Rican balls.

http://www.world-mysteries.com/guest-authors/stone-balls-spheres-costa-rica/
Reply to topic Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 10

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in