MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
PRESUMPTIVE LOGIC (APPLIED EPISTEMOLOGY)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

The Letby case came up on Medium here https://alexeisorokinstories.medium.com/the-most-staggering-observation-about-lucy-letby-the-serial-baby-killer-3de93f2b8942 to which I posted a response suggesting Medium readers have a look at this thread. Reading through it a week or two later it seems to stand up quite well.

Obviously we're not equipped to mount a full-scale defence -- and we should concede that the chances of her guilt are quite high -- but I thought I would prepare a Letby story for Medium, incorporating -- even by direct but anonymous quotation -- some of your thoughts. Does anyone have any objection to this?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I'll put up a first draft of the story here to gather some feedback. Talons out, I can take it. I can't really but I'd rather you than the world.

-------------------

Lucy Letby: Baby-Killer or Patsy?

I am as ignorant about statistics as most people but, as an Applied Epistemologist, I am aware that people being ignorant about statistics can have devastating effects in wrongful conviction cases. For example, if profiling is used to seek out a serial killer living among a population of a million non-serial killers, it is perfectly possible for a single person to be identified who meets all the criteria. Does this mean that person is the serial killer? Of course not, and no court would convict him (serial killers are overwhelmingly male) on such evidence.

However, police have an understandable conviction they have ‘found their man’ and begin piecing together the evidence that will convict him in court. This can be a dangerous procedure because evidence can be twisted (quite properly, we are not dealing here with so-called ‘noble-cause corruption') to read one way when in reality it should be read another. When the police have gathered sufficient evidence to satisfy the Crown Prosecution Service there is a greater than 50/50 chance of a conviction, the matter goes to trial. When someone utters the fateful words (and someone always does) “It’s a million to one, the accused did the crime,” fifty-fifty goes up to nearer ninety-nine to one.

In the Letby case there was a further twist. Were any crimes committed in the first place? So let us begin there.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Lucy Letby (2)

Letby worked in the neonatal unit of The Countess of Chester hospital from 2009 until 2016. A neonatal unit is where babies that are premature or otherwise not routine births are cared for. It can be expected to have a higher mortality rate than an ordinary maternity ward. Though still not high

2009 - 3
2010 - 1
2011 - 3
2012 - 3
2013 - 2
2014 – 3

But for the next two years higher

2015 - 8
2016 – 5

It was at this point that Letby was moved from the neonatal unit and the Countess of Chester stopped providing care for premature babies so the figures afterwards are not comparable. The doctors claimed that any problems identified by the increase in deaths in 2015-16 stopped when Letby's role was switched.

When dealing with such small numbers – overall the Countess of Chester’s neonatal unit cared for some four hundred babies in an average year – it is difficult, perhaps impossible, to say whether such variation is normal or abnormal. For instance it could be argued that the 2015 figure was skewed by the death of two triplets, the event that first triggered the investigation of Letby.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

There is a discussion about Letby here. A key point is there is no evidence against her based on post mortems as these were all considered natural deaths at the time, they happened. The Criminal barrister being interviewed points out that there are worrying similarities between Letby and some other cases of nurses he believes were also wrongly convicted. Worth a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwunlsP6nbA
Mick Harper
Site Admin

That's made my mind up.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

One trouble I'm having is that I've taken (I think this is literally true) nil interest in this case. I'm coming at it new but everything the barrister bloke (and he was extremely bloke-ish) said was incredibly familiar. I didn't quite get the references to him having worked in casualty though it reminded me that I too have straddled hospitals and lawcourts in my patchwork career.

I was surprised at the degree of hostility on the part of the TV interviewer, his talking-head sidekick and the text-messengers. Definitely a general air of outraged citizenry with which we are so familiar. I will look on Medium to see what is being said there.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I thing we've got the field to ourselves

Lucy Letby’s White Privilege Is The Reason She Could Kill So Many Babies
Was White Female Privilege, The reason Why Lucy Letby Got Away With Murdering Babies For The Longest Time?
The most staggering observation about Lucy Letby (the “serial baby killer”). [criticism of hospital administration]
Lucy Letby, Innocence, and Deception: The Paradox of Female Psychopaths
Lucy Letby — monster in human form, or product of cultural values that empower rather than reject cruelty?
The Dark Tale of Lucy Letby: Exploring the Motives Behind the Unthinkable Actions of a Serial Killer
Lucy Letby, The Angel of Death
And as for monster Letby she is far from the first and will hardly be the last.
etc etc
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Lucy Letby (3)

Bayesian statistics are the least understood branch of the subject and the most relevant when it comes to hospital deaths. People are dying all the time, mortality spikes are happening all the time, serial killers are responsible almost none of the time. When non-statisticians such as doctors, hospital administrators and the police are faced with spikes they do not say (and nor initially should they say) “Oh, it’s our turn to have a spike.” The real mischief comes when they say, “Let’s assume it is a serial killer, who’s in the frame?” Because in hospitals that is a very difficult question to answer.

Even when it is the relatively close confines of a neonatal unit and the victims are present for a relatively short time, the number of people that have access is very large. But that number comes down very, very quickly when you start going through one maternity nurse’s attendance records, look for any suspicious deaths that occurred during those periods and discover that a hundred per cent of them occurred on her watch. That is in essence what put Lucy Letby in the frame.

Now it was just a question of gathering the evidence.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Lucy Letby (4)

The problem battering the case from every side was there was no evidence. Every baby had been signed off as dying from natural causes -- if that is the right phrase in the circumstances -- and the causes of death, established after a rigorous examination at the time, were the ordinary ones -- if that is the right phrase for such a rare event -- that affect babies in neonatal units. The prosecution turned this to their advantage by listing the ways Letby could have murdered the seven babies without leaving a trace, creating the unfortunate impression that that's how she did it. Stands to reason.

It's not a cart before the horse situation, it's a cart looking for a horse situation. In fact it's a looking for a cart, then looking for a horse situation, times seven. But Bayesian statistics really start kicking in when we come to the real evidence, the evidence that convicted a serial killer. The material found in Letby's home. Because she was that strange kind of serial killer, the one who keeps all the evidence of her crimes in loving detail...
Wile E. Coyote

The death rates across English neonatal hospitals vary according to area. In the South West the survival rates are better. The West Midlands is worst. Hospitals are currently under governmnet targets (a worthy ambition) to reduce neonatal deaths by a half.

As of last year within England

West Midlands has the worst at 5.6 deaths per 1,000 live births.

South West had the lowest 2.5 deaths per 1,000 live birth.

That's quite a difference, the presumptive explanation is not the number of serial nurse killers in the West Midlands. It is more likely something to do with ethnicity, deprivation, maternal age or the nature of hospital care within those areas....Least, that is what I would have thought.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

The death rates across English neonatal hospitals vary according to area.

I think this would be true in all categories, in all areas, at all times. I first noticed it when they started posting up surgeons' mortality rates. It put the fear of God up patients and was soon abandoned (was it, Borry?) because it was so misleading. I am not questioning that these figures are worth collecting or that they may be useful in exposing shortcomings.

In the South West the survival rates are better. The West Midlands is worst.

Again 'better' and 'worse' might be 'lucky' or 'unlucky'.

Hospitals are currently under government targets (a worthy ambition) to reduce neonatal deaths by a half.

I do not agree this is necessarily a worthy cause but it is certainly relevant to this case. When (and why) was the programme launched?

As of last year within England West Midlands has the worst at 5.6 deaths per 1,000 live births. South West had the lowest 2.5 deaths per 1,000 live birth.

This would appear to comfortably contain the figures for the Countess of Chester 2009-16.

That's quite a difference, the presumptive explanation is not the number of serial nurse killers in the West Midlands. It is more likely something to do with ethnicity, deprivation, maternal age or the nature of hospital care within those areas....Least, that is what I would have thought.

I would add 'non-significant fluctuation' and 'incompetence'.
Wile E. Coyote

Note Wiley tends to go to the excellent House of Commons Library for data. (I know you like Wiki)

The ambition to reduce baby loss
The 2015 report of the Kirkup review uncovered “serious and shocking” problems with maternity care at the University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay NHS Foundation Trust.[1] As the Health and Social Care Committee has noted, since the Morecambe Bay scandal, major concerns have been raised, at Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust and East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust. The Committee state that these “…emerging findings from investigations into those trusts are a stark reminder that lessons still need to be learned and there can be no complacency when it comes to improving the safety of maternity services.”[2]

There have been a number of initiatives focused on improving the safety of maternity services in England, since the Kirkup review. These included, the National Maternity Safety Ambition, launched in November 2015 and updated in November 2017, to reduce the 2010 rates of stillbirths, neonatal and maternal deaths and brain injuries in babies that occur during or soon after birth by 20 per cent by 2020 and 50 per cent by 2025.[3] The Government also launched a Safer Maternity Care action plan in October 2016 as part of this “national ambition”.[4]
Mick Harper
Site Admin

This is great ammunition. By the by, as an AE-ist I oppose targets such as

to reduce the 2010 rates of stillbirths, neonatal and maternal deaths and brain injuries in babies that occur during or soon after birth by 20 per cent by 2020 and 50 per cent by 2025.

because when bringing already low numbers to even lower numbers it is frequently found that the saving of a few lives is not worth the candle. Governments work on very harsh but very necessary numbers like, say, a new born baby is worth one point three million pounds or whatever.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Lucy Letby (5)

Take care, we are all just a smartphone examination away from a life sentence for murder. If you are on holiday confine yourself to sending ‘wish you were here’ postcard to work colleagues. Do not send a text: “I’ll be back with a bang” because you might be accused of ‘being out of control’. If someone is poorly do not on any account enquire how they are doing because if that person dies you could easily be accused of ‘playing God’. Adding all those texts together may not cast you in the best of all possible lights

"Those texts give a sinister insight into Letby's frame of mind."

Never, never take work home.

“In total, 257 confidential medical documents were recovered from Letby’s home.”

That is a lot. One a fortnight over an eight-year career. What is the propensity of conscientious nurses to take work product home? The court wasn't told, so I cannot say. Though none of the documents were missed so they couldn't have been very important. Or were they?

"Many related to the babies she had hurt or killed."

A curious statement. All two hundred and fifty-seven confidential medical documents related to the babies under Letby’s care, she was doing no other kind of work. If you are accused of murdering seven babies and attempting to murder ten more under your care then many of them will be related to those seventeen babies. That is undeniable.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Lucy Letby (6)

Do not take your emotions home either. If you do make sure not to record them indelibly, they can be used against you at any time

Facebook data revealed Letby repeatedly searched for her victims' parents. This included on Christmas Day, or on the anniversaries of the infants' deaths

One is not quite sure what 'repeatedly searched' implies though it definitely sounds obsessive. Even serial killers find once is generally enough. It will do you no good if the messages are anodyne. Not when they are read out in court in that way prosecutors are so practised in

Letby sent a sympathy card to the parents of one of her victims. She photographed it on her mobile phone hours before the victim's funeral. The card read: "Thinking of you today and always - sorry I cannot be there to say goodbye.

Just hours before! Though in truth nothing could save Letby once the wheels of justice started turning.

In May 2017, Paul Hughes, a senior investigating officer at Cheshire Constabulary, was asked by his head of crime to look into a letter they had received from their local hospital. The Countess of Chester was concerned about a sudden spike in unexpected, and unexplained, deaths of the youngest patients in its care.

But that was not quite all he was told.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Jump to:  
Page 6 of 9

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in