MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Megalithic Saints (British History)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

aurelius wrote:
Arthur - one man and his Cadog.

Not the best dog in show since Cadoc cheated King Arthur over a herd of cattle, if you believe Lifris.

Lifris, author of the saint's Life, makes Cadoc sound quite Hermes-like

Cadoc gave protection to a man who killed three of Arthur's soldiers; Arthur was awarded a herd of cattle from Cadoc as wergeld for his men; Cadoc delivered them as demanded; but when Arthur took possession of the animals, they were transformed into bundles of ferns
aurelius

Ferns also played a role in medicine, including uses as a remedy for rheumatism, toothaches, baldness, and nightmares. According to the symbolic meanings of plants, the fern stands for “sincerity.”

Ha!
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Damn you. You are all right until proven otherwise.
Could Sts Docco and Rocco be one and the same?

Double damn, wish I had thought of that.
Wile E. Coyote

Clearly the team is in front of me. This all sounds about right. But how does it look?

I stare to the heavens, for help, the polluted sky mysteriously clears, (err, thank you gods....) and stars come into view.

http://www.ianridpath.com/startales/canismajor.htm

startales wrote:
Four dogs are to be found among the constellations: Canis Major, Canis Minor, and the two hunting dogs, Canes Venatici, but Canis Major is undoubtedly the top dog. Indeed, Ptolemy in the Almagest called it simply Κύων (Kyon), the Dog. Canis Major is dominated by Sirius, popularly termed the Dog Star, the most brilliant star in the entire night sky; almost certainly the constellation originated with this star alone.

Top Dog!

Think of a massive dog on its hind legs. At its head is Sirius, a blue white star.

You can't see it?

http://www.astro.wisc.edu/~dolan/constellations/constellations/Canis_Major.html

Not being an archaeo-astronomer, I am struggling. I just know that Sirius is one of the brightest night stars. Surely the gods have put it there for a reason.

What do you think?
Wile E. Coyote

OK you can't see a dog on its hind legs.

Does it Matter?

Not really.... if you see a wolf, or (a very PC or very ancient) she-wolf, it really matters not a jot.

These are variants of the same tale.

The individual tactics differ, the strategic importance remains.

No?
Wile E. Coyote

You can rearrange in your mind's eye your dog standing on its hind legs.

Maybe it is a man with a dog's head ?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Surely the gods have put it there for a reason.

1. Take a random point in the universe
2. Idenitify the two brightest stars from that vantage point
3. Given that stars vary vastly in their mass what is the probability that the two stars have identical masses
4. Very small unless you are on earth.
aurelius

Wile, I wish you'd stop distracting me from what I should be doing (continuing my thread, Dark Age Obscured, which I am having to do masses of reading for so as not to look a complete numpty)!

I can't resist asking if you are aware of the Dogon and their fascination with Sirius?

In Mali, West Africa, lives a tribe of people called the Dogon. The Dogon are believed to be of Egyptian decent and their astronomical lore goes back thousands of years to 3200 BC. According to their traditions, the star Sirius has a companion star which is invisible to the human eye.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

This was big a few decades ago and led to my observation in the post above yours, Aurelius. Which in turn led to all my other theories. Not wishing to rain on any parades, especially my own, but the Dogon Theory is now generally held to be a case of over-enthusiasm on the part of a French anthropologist.
aurelius

I know, but I couldn't resist it in view of Wile's dogged dogleg diversions. Oh well, it is the dog days season after all.
Wile E. Coyote

aurelius wrote:

I can't resist asking if you are aware of the Dogon and their fascination with Sirius?

Nope.

Never heard of them.

Never heard of Dogon theory.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I was out shopping the other day (it's not all Filipina au pairs and Ocado round here) when it came on to rain. I stepped under a handy awning for a fag (they do have free cigarette dispensers round here) but when I finished that I started to get impatient. Worse, I realised it was St Swithun's day! Then I remembered I had made that up for this post.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

How surreal.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

The only other time I get to have these thoughts is when I'm washing up but you can't smoke then so the ideas never come. Doing nothing is awfully difficult.
Wile E. Coyote

Saint Alban (/ˈɔːlbən, ˈæl-/; Latin: Albanus) is venerated as the first-recorded British Christian martyr,[1] and he is considered to be the British protomartyr. Along with fellow Saints Julius and Aaron, Alban is one of three named martyrs recorded at an early date from Roman Britain ("Amphibalus" was the name given much later to the priest he was said to have been protecting). He is traditionally believed to have been beheaded in the Roman city of Verulamium (modern St Albans) sometime during the 3rd or 4th century, and his cult has been celebrated there since ancient times.

This is the first time I have ever come across the concept of protomatyr. That's probably because protomartyrs like St Alban are not mentioned in ME. This is a rather scandalous omission given that the authors have dedicated a whole chapter to Saints. It's probably the fault of the researcher. Anyway I am asking for my wonga back. Didn't even spot the protomartyr did we? Humpf.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

Jump to:  
Page 19 of 22

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in