MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Paying For Megalithia (British History)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nemesis8

In: byrhfunt

Hatty wrote:
The hag from the Dane Hills of Leicestershire, Black Annis, is blue-faced and has iron claws.

Without putting the work in, I will wager that Black Annis is a mirror of St Anne and both are late versions of Dane (Hills)/Danu /Anu/Don/Zone. There was a beacon on top, the hills looked like breasts... and a river close by...

Damn Christians....
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Actually, and I found this out yesterday from Peter Ackroyd's Thames, St Ann is the Christian version of Tan, an ancient British deity remembered in Tan Hill and suchlike.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Mick Harper wrote:
Actually, and I found this out yesterday from Peter Ackroyd's Thames, St Ann is the Christian version of Tan, an ancient British deity remembered in Tan Hill and suchlike.

It really does seem a lot of these words that begin with "T" are really just conjunctions of a noun and a preceding T(he); as in "The Ann."

But as I have shown elsewhere, "Ts" "Z" "St" "Sh" "T" and "Z" are all often used to represent the same sound. This makes "St'Anne" completely cognate with "T'An."
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

This makes "St'Anne" completely cognate with "T'An."

This is the usual reading, yes. It may be that beacon hills and metal working are topographically linked which may have led to assumptions on the part of historians of 'ancient British deities'. Fire is arguably the most essential part of the survival toolkit.

There's no way of telling though walking across hot coals seems a popular way of demonstrating religious credentials. It may go back to the anvil where miraculous transformations truly take place.
Hatty
Site Admin

St Ann = Satan. Aka Lucifer, the bearer of light.

There's probably a connection with St John whose festival is celebrated with bonfires.
nemesis8

Hatty wrote:
This is the usual reading, yes. It may be that beacon hills and metal working are topographically linked which may have led to assumptions on the part of historians of 'ancient British deities'. Fire is arguably the most essential part of the survival toolkit.

Fire words are often linked to water words.

Hill words are linked to river words.

CF Dragon.. defender of the river.

Why do Dragons breathe fire?
Hatty
Site Admin

These crones associated with black cheeks, grey hair, blood, one eye etc its all fire/beacon. imagery.

They're not able to join the herders or hunters but they can tend the fire which in polar regions must never be allowed to die. Fire is sacred to northern herders and is acknowledged with a few drops of spirits every morning, a bit like saying Grace before a meal.

Dragons are guardians though not always fire-breathing. The old woman at the family heart or hearth is an essential guardian who seems to have become embedded in mythical archetypes. My headmistress was a dragon as well as a JP. In Christianity the Holy Spirit manifested itself in tongues of flame when it wasn't being a dove.
nemesis8

Hatty wrote:
but they can tend the fire which in polar regions

Yes.
nemesis8

Hatty wrote:
The old woman at the family heart or hearth is an essential guardian who seems to have become embedded in mythical archetypes.

Hmm maybe, we agree if you had written "the woman at the hearth"...

But fire is often associated with younger women and sexuality.

Hottie... Harlot...

These older women are assocciated with winter, cauldrons, cats, crows and childbirth.

In fact I will go against you all, (and orthodoxy), and say they are best understood as developing out of a respected female trickster........figure.

There you go....N8s discovered his inner crone, and gone metrosexual...

Can I have the award for the most startling contribution to AEPC?
Hatty
Site Admin

In Native American myth the trickster Raven is the one who brings/steals fire. The tale also explains why the raven is black (in Greek myth it's turned from black to white when Apollo cursed his messenger raven in a fit of rage over the infidelity of his love, Coronis). The raven was also the messenger of Lugh (= light).

Ravens are regarded rather uncertainly as birds of both good and bad luck and seem to have been associated with fire but whether the identification of crones with crows linguistically and symbolically comes before or after I couldn't say.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Hatty wrote:
In Native American myth the trickster Raven is the one who brings/steals fire.

Yeah my good friend Raven does the tricky part then I prowl round the landscape naming things.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Here is the cover of the new book in all its considerable glory. Posted in two bits to aid readability. This is the front cover and the front inside flap. You may respond critically as it hasn't (quite) been set in stone yet.

Mick Harper
Site Admin

The back cover and back inside flap

Ishmael

In: Toronto

Brilliant
Hatty
Site Admin

Thanks, Ish.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Jump to:  
Page 6 of 8

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in