MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Musicology sucks (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rocky

Let a thousand flowers bloom...got it. I wasn't sure what you meant previously. I thought you may have been suggesting we all become farmers or something.

I suspect it will be a while though before universities are banned. Here, they are creating more and more of them. In western Canada a whole bunch of new unversities have been created over the last 2 or 3 years. 30 years ago these institutions were the kind of place where you'd go to take a 6-month typing course. Now they are universities.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

we all become farmers or something.

Yes, it is interesting that AE-ists tend to get tagged as regressists because orthodoxy is so ingrained that opposition is generally held to be reactionary by definition. Being anti-Darwinian means we are creationists; THOBR is required reading for the British National Party etc.

In western Canada a whole bunch of new universities have been created over the last 2 or 3 years. 30 years ago these institutions were the kind of place where you'd go to take a 6-month typing course. Now they are universities.

It is universal. As somebody once pointed out, if driving a car wasn't so damned necessary, it would require a pilot's licence before you were allowed on the road. Actually though, I did find learning to type somewhat more difficult than an arts degree. I can also report that the largest, most complex and most technical required reading material I ever received was on a ten-week-training course to work on London Transport.

By the way, AE has no objection, since we live in rich societies, that everybody should not be allowed three years of subsidised scuffling about. It is just that we would rather not have our intellectual life tied to the process.

Pace your sister, AE is opposed to academic education in principle. It is no more sensible sending an eighteen-year-old to university than it is sending an eleven-year-old to mini-university (which is what schools offering academic subjects are). At least universities are voluntary; the larger tragedy is millions of children being forced day after day, year after year, to learn French, trigonometry etc.

An academic education is suitable for -- and therefore should be available to -- a few per cent of the population. Though if we go that route steps would have to be taken to ensure that this tiny minority is permitted very little power.
berniegreen

Mick Harper wrote:
An academic education is suitable for -- and therefore should be available to -- a few per cent of the population. Though if we go that route steps would have to be taken to ensure that this tiny minority is permitted very little power.

OMG! And I thought that I was the only one with such anti-deluvian notions!

A couple of months ago the blessed Kevin (i.e. Mr K Rudd, PM of OZ) was trumpeting that we should be aiming for 40% of our society to have the benefits of a university education.
What for, I scream. Most of the time now they seem to be doing Macrame 101 or Woodwork 202. My only comfort is that I shall probably be dead before it happens.
Send private message Send e-mail
Grant

A couple of months ago the blessed Kevin (i.e. Mr K Rudd, PM of OZ) was trumpeting that we should be aiming for 40% of our society to have the benefits of a university education.

Of course, if he doesn't achieve it he will start blubbing on TV and apologise to the nation. In the UK we only ever see him crying about something or other.
berniegreen

Grant wrote:

Of course, if he doesn't achieve it he will start blubbing on TV and apologise to the nation. In the UK we only ever see him crying about something or other.

Gosh, I've never seen that. You sure that you aren't thinking of one of his predecessors. Bob Hawke was famous for enjoying a good weep - especially when he was on camera. And he was the one that said (in 1984, I think) "No child in Australia will be living in poverty by 1990". I ain't heard no apology yet !!!
Mick Harper
Site Admin

And don't forget that cricket captain. Showing any kind of emotion in public was a transportable offence in stiff-upper-lip Britain which is why most Australians now do it at a drop of a hat. With or without corks.
berniegreen

Mick Harper wrote:
And don't forget that cricket captain. Showing any kind of emotion in public was a transportable offence in stiff-upper-lip Britain which is why most Australians now do it at a drop of a hat. With or without corks.

That f***ing cricketer was a bloody South African who went home to Capetown or wherever once he got the sack in Australia. Nah, mate it's only the pollies wot cries 'ere.
Grant

Gosh, I've never seen that. You sure that you aren't thinking of one of his predecessors.

It's my pre-senile dementia again, but I can remember Rudd blubbing - or at least getting very upset - about the mythical arsonists who were responsible for the Australian forest fires. Only in the last few days he was apologising for the fact that Britain exported a large number of scum kids to Australia because someone, rightly, thought they would have a better life.
berniegreen

Grant wrote:
It's my pre-senile dementia again, but I can remember Rudd blubbing - or at least getting very upset - about the mythical arsonists who were responsible for the Australian forest fires. Only in the last few days he was apologising for the fact that Britain exported a large number of scum kids to Australia because someone, rightly, thought they would have a better life.

Ah yes and in fact Malcolm Turnbull (Opposition Leader) was even weepier but I dare say that no one showed that outside OZ.

But the cause of the blub was not the evacuation itself. It was because so many of the kids had been so badly treated both by foster parents and in the so-called orphanages to which they were consigned.

Now a cynic might question whether the tears were for the children themselves or occasioned by the dread thought that Australians could have been (and still could be) so nasty.

The fires are a different issue. They were a truly terrifying experience and a really seriously worrying threat. Unlike say the London Blitz there is no Hitler to blame only nature. So when it turns out that some fuckwit has actually caused or helped along the blaze the natural grief turns to either rage or despair.
I speak from experience. A wind change at about two o'clock on Black Saturday afternoon sent the fires off to the north-east of Melbourne instead of in our direction where they had been moving.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

That f***ing cricketer was a bloody South African who went home to Capetown or wherever once he got the sack in Australia. Nah, mate it's only the pollies wot cries 'ere.

Kim Hughes was a South African? I never knew that.
berniegreen

Mick Harper wrote:

Kim Hughes was a South African? I never knew that.

Yep. And I have a suspicion that he actually played in a representative side (if not the national team) after he went back to SA, which would make him one of a tiny number who have played for two different countries.

And on second thoughts I reckon I ought to alter my previous statement to be "it's only the pollies and the sheilas wot cries 'ere" Mustn't leave the sheilas out, must we. Gawd bless 'em.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I wad being sarcastic.

Hughes was born on January 1954, at Margaret River, Western Australia, the first child of father Stan, a school teacher and mother Ruth.[4] The Hughes family lived in nearby Kudardup, where Stan was in charge of the one-teacher school. Stan's profession would take the Hughes family across much of the south west of Western Australia including postings at Ballidu, Pinjarra and Geraldton.[5] The Hughes family settled in the Geraldton suburb of Wonthella and Hughes attended the local Allendale Primary School, where his father was the headmaster

Ocker is as Ocker does.
berniegreen

Re Kim Hughes
This is amazing. I had it firmly fixed in my mind that Hughes was a SAn. Maybe I am confusing him with someone else. I have to go digging on this.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

The source of your confusion is that Kim Hughes was only the Australian captain because the South African Keppler Wessels (who was Australian to escape an apartheid ban) had taken the Packer shilling. How much more interesting cricket was in those great days when the Empire Shook.
berniegreen

Mick Harper wrote:
The source of your confusion is that Kim Hughes was only the Australian captain because the South African Keppler Wessels (who was Australian to escape an apartheid ban) had taken the Packer shilling. How much more interesting cricket was in those great days when the Empire Shook.

Thank you Michael. Of course, Keppler Wessels ! I had forgotten all about him. You're right - absolutely right!
A good example of "associated memories" that have accidentally become wrongly filed and labelled and yet seemed to be wholly "correct".

Maybe this could be a fruitful topic to consider in the context of careful ignoral of paradigm confronting evidence
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Jump to:  
Page 5 of 6

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in