MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Who birthed the Renaissance? (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Mick Harper wrote:
How do we know? Well, what are the chances of digging up three sculptures mentioned by Pliny?

For the life of me, I will never understand why scholars are not embarrassed by this kind of foolishness.
Ishmael

Angus McOatup wrote:
To clarify: the Renaissance undoubtedly started in the Low Countries....

It may be undoubted, but it is most certainly doubtable. I consider the entire history suspect and likely rife with invented events and personages.
Angus McOatup

In: England

Ishmael wrote:
Angus McOatup wrote:
To clarify: the Renaissance undoubtedly started in the Low Countries....

It may be undoubted, but it is most certainly doubtable. I consider the entire history suspect and likely rife with invented events and personages.

Hi Ish,
I really don't want to come across as the face of orthodoxy, heaven forbid, so I will give you the name of one possibly very invented renaissance VIP...John Clemens,... ring any bells? He mysteriously appeared from out of the household of...Sir Thomas More and then was...as if by magic.... promoted to the very tasty sinecure of first President of the Royal College of Surgeons by...Henry VIII....mmm,,, I wonder why he did this and who exactly was the mysterious 'John Clemens' a mysterium factotum if ever there was one...?
Send private message Send e-mail
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

From The Megalithic Empire's point of view, the most interesting thing about Clemens was his passing:

Margaret Clement died on 6 July 1570, the anniversary of More's execution, and was buried in St. Rombout's cathedral [Mechlin] in the Grote Markt. Clement himself died on 1 July 1572 in the year that the Spanish sacked the ancient imperial town, and was buried beside his wife near the high altar of the cathedral.

For both husband and wife to be buried near the high altar of a cathedral is an astonishing honour for such an apparently obscure couple. St Rombout of course is one of the chiefiest of the Megalithic saints.
Tilo Rebar

In: Sussex

Mick Harper wrote:
St Rombout of course is one of the chiefiest of the Megalithic saints.

Yes, and later generations of his progeny are still noted for producing some of the best coffee in the world.

Truly miraculous how Megalithic Inc. still manage to be around trading to this day.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Tell us more about this. There are some very mysterious (for which read, probably imaginary on our part) survivals. For instance, Shell Oil.
Angus McOatup

Mick Harper wrote:
From The Megalithic Empire's point of view, the most interesting thing about Clemens was his passing:

Margaret Clement died on 6 July 1570, the anniversary of More's execution, and was buried in St. Rombout's cathedral [Mechlin] in the Grote Markt. Clement himself died on 1 July 1572 in the year that the Spanish sacked the ancient imperial town, and was buried beside his wife near the high altar of the cathedral.

For both husband and wife to be buried near the high altar of a cathedral is an astonishing honour for such an apparently obscure couple. St Rombout of course is one of the chiefiest of the Megalithic saints.

Certainly Mick,
First though, a 'spot the difference' competition....observe the man in the doorway who is not in the original sketch. Clue: he appears to be in old-fashioned clothes...mmm?

Holbein's sketch of The More Family...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1f/Study_for
_portrait_of_the_More_family,_by_Hans_Holbein_the_Younger.jpg

and 'Rowland Lockey's' painting of The More Family (now at Nostell Priory)....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:More_famB_1280x-g0.jpg
Angus McOatup

Mick Harper wrote:

...Indeed Mick....

...Though not so astonishing if this 'John Clements' were of noble birth, and if his aunt was Margaret of York (Duchess of Burgundy) whose Court was based at Mechelen ?
Ishmael

I'm lost.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

You probably wouldn't get lost if you were a Megalithic trader. St Rombout's, with its high flat-topped tower, is on the 51st latitude. Linking Mechelen with Stonehenge may be fortuitous except, also coincidentally, Rombout's feast day is 24th June.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

You have to remember Ishmael has not read The Megalithic Empire. 24th June, Ishmael, is John the Baptist's Day. In general I've never been able to trace the Megalithic roots of royalty except for
a) the importance of John of Gaunt (ie Ghent, up the road from Mechlin) and
b) the centrality of the Stuart family -- who are direct descendants of J of G via Katherine Swynford and Henry VII's daughter (though isn't everybody?).
Ishmael

Hatty wrote:
You probably wouldn't get lost if you were a Megalithic trader. St Rombout's, with its high flat-topped tower, is on the 51st latitude. Linking Mechelen with Stonehenge may be fortuitous except, also coincidentally, Rombout's feast day is 24th June.

And why is all that significant?
Ishmael

Mick Harper wrote:
You have to remember Ishmael has not read The Megalithic Empire.

I read most of it. But absorbed less. Like drinking from a fire-hose of facts and speculation, poorly aimed.
Ishmael

Mick Harper wrote:
24th June, Ishmael, is John the Baptist's Day.

Is that the same as the feast day of St. John?
Ishmael

Angus McOatup wrote:
Holbein's sketch of The More Family...and 'Rowland Lockey's' painting of The More Family (now at Nostell Priory)....

What is the relationship between these two works? Was the painter working from the sketch?

Isn't it customary for the painter to be the one to make the sketch for his own work?
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 7

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in