MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Comments on Walking Ancient Landscapes (British History)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 57, 58, 59  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ishmael

In: Toronto

N R Scott wrote:
I would love to share the Deserts stuff with the Alternative Cosmology crowd on YouTube. I think it would go down really well, but I can't imagine you'd appreciate having the work contaminated by association with Flat Earthers and Geocentrists so I don't draw attention to it.

No no no!!! I want those people! I imagine myself appearing on Coast to Coast AM to promote the Deserts book. But we have to HAVE a book first. No product = No revenue. Just hold off a little while longer. I'm getting close. Four years of effort.

Once the book is done we make YouTube videos too to promote it.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Ishmael wrote:
Is there a way you can point those who view your video toward your book?

It is prominently displayed in the video.

I think the Venus Pool material is itself worthy of a short book treatment.

I disagree (too short, too fruitcake) though it might play a part in a book about Megalithic Animals or a longer film about Megalithic trade routes – the ones we cover in Megalithic Trade Routes over on the Megalithic Empire site. To which, I note, you never contribute.

I'm planning to next do a short treatment of the Bimini Road material. The full theory ties in perfectly with the Venus Pool phenomenon.

I see the ‘birds-eye view’ aspect but not the birds’ eyes view aspect.

Bimini (and Nazca, and many other geooglyphs) were used to communicate and signal to birds. The flights of those birds was used by mariners for navigation. The island of Bimini was specifically aligned to mark the line of longitude passing through Panama---the shortest overland route between the Atlantic and Pacific.

OK, I await with interest.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

N R Scott wrote:
Megalithomania have directed it towards your biggest potential audience - the YouTube/ Alternative/ Conspiracy scene.

Yes, mostly. Not, I think, entirely.

Much of the stuff on this site would go down equally well if this same audience were made aware of it.

Yes, mostly. Not, I think, entirely.

For every 50 people that would possibly read a book about a topic like this there are perhaps a hundred thousand that would happily sit and watch a YouTube video about it.

I have come to think this is largely true. It is certainly true of me. Books are literally a waste of time compared to talk-with-visuals. However it is also true that for every fifty people watching a YouTube, there are a hundred thousand that would watch a telly programme. Making that the holy grail.

I always get the impression that you lot on here are aiming at a more "academic" audience though. In my opinion this is an audience that doesn't exist (or barely exists).

This is certainly true but I would quibble about ‘academic’. Our target audience has been academically-trained. A big difference.

I think most of the actual people in academia are just people that carry out teaching jobs, who would never think to question such things, and just parrot what they themselves were taught.

This is true.

The smarter, more curious ones are probably secretly watching YouTube videos I would imagine lol. The Internet is the modern athenaeum, but because it's so new it doesn't have the gravitas and respectability.

Let us hope this is true.

History revisionism and things like Fomenko are starting to become popular now on YouTube as well. Whenever these topics pop up I always have the dilemma of whether to mention this site or not. Normally I don't for fear of sending an army of conspiracy theorists your way.

You should. We welcome armies of all stripes.

I would love to share the Deserts stuff with the Alternative Cosmology crowd on YouTube. I think it would go down really well, but I can't imagine you'd appreciate having the work contaminated by association with Flat Earthers and Geocentrists so I don't draw attention to it.

You should. I don’t hold with contamination theory since my ambition is to be Leper-in-Chief. Or you shouldn’t according to Ishmael. Make your own mind up.
Ishmael

Mick Harper wrote:
To which, I note, you never contribute.

I read it. But I've nothing to add on that topic.

I see the ‘birds-eye view’ aspect but not the birds’ eyes view aspect.

• University of Iowa scientists taught pigeons to use touchscreen computers
  • The birds learned to sort 128 different pictures into 16 basic categories
  • The pigeons were rewarded with pellets of food with each correct answer
  • They took 64 days to learn how different objects fitted into each category
    -- Birds identify objects in the same way as infants learning words
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Not that I check twice a day but the following comments got posted yesterday re my lecture

So, all the tin used in the Bronze Age came from Cornwall? What about the tin mined in Afghanistan? I have no doubt that tin was exported from Cornwall. But I think most of the tin from Cornwall went into northern and western Europe.

This is the basic problem with the whole of archaeology. Everyone is so fixated on what went where from where that nobody ever wonders how anything gets anywhere from anywhere. Imagine someone in Anatolia needing tin (which they did in bucketloads) trying to find their way to an Afghani tin mine (or vice versa). "Er ... it's over there ... a thousand miles sort of towards the rising sun and then turn left." Nobody ever wonders. Careful ignoral on such a grand scale as to suggest the whole of archaeology would be in crisis if it ever was.

this is to painful to watch dude should hire a pro speaker

This is painful to read dude should hire a pro hitman. Except, as I keep pointing out, the customer is always right. If you're an amateur lecturer (in my case a once-only lecturer) better become a professional film-maker.
Ishmael

I actually think you are a great speaker---with the exception of one single flaw. The tendency to raise the pitch of your voice at the close of every sentence (as though in astonishment). This lecture was much better than the Planets video where I first detected the problem.

I know you tend to dismiss my observations. I strongly encourage you to consider whether I might be right in this particular case.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

On the contrary, I am sure you are right. I certainly notice more and more irritating tics whenever I re-watch it (or Deserts, come to that). The basic problem is to acquire a director who is cheap enough to employ but expensive enough to enforce eradication of error. And still dance to the puppet-master's tune.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

You gotta do, what you gotta do.

However.

Of the two types of books (there are more) ie the one that summarizes the current state of affairs, builds on the works of others, is impeccably researched with footnotes.

And the second type which is full of original ideas and analysis whilst criticizing the ruling paradigm....

It is fairly clear which library you inhabit.

My feeling is that if you are going to switch from the written word (your real strength) a series of filmed Interviews would be the best format, in fact you had to imagine mock dialogues in MWRF to illustrate your analysis. I reckon real dialogue would suit you.

Just my view.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I’ve been rumbled

At https://phys.org/print432456033.html ... excavations at a Viking site in Trondheim in Norway has uncovered a decorative fitting from a book pilfered from Ireland (or the Celtic fringe). It is gold plated on silver and seems to have come from a religious book - probably from a monastery in Ireland at some point in the 800s. Hence, such embellished books really did exist in the pre-Norman era, contrary to what is inferred in MJ Harper's book, Meetings with Remarkable Forgeries.

That's from the SIS, a Velikovskian vehicle. Or maybe it’s the other side that have been rumbled. This from the original piece

"Steine Church was built in the 1140s," says Sauvage, explaining that the archaeologists also found a link to Nidaros Cathedral. The dig was therefore expanded, and now objects dating as far back as 700 CE have been found. That means they belong to what is called the late Germanic Iron (or Merovingian) Age.

When building a church always look for a site that has three hundred year old embellished books buried underneath.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

A few days ago, someone put up a YouTube of an interview I gave at the Glastonbury Conference where I launched the great Cormorant Theory. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V7Ebnor7fE

Watching it now, I thought it was pretty good (though I look pretty awful) but the comments are all but unanimously hostile. This is odd because the original lecture https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ_S6zkh_PY was on the whole favourably reviewed. It seems that this lot (which lot? how do people get to hear of these things? there are already a thousand of them) are much put out by my not genuflecting with sufficient reverence at the Great Whited Sepulchre of Stonehenge.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

St Baruc's well on Barry Island, on the Welsh side of the Bristol Channel, came up in a 'Holy wells' group on Facebook. It is fairly well known that Barry Island is or was a tidal causewayed island but nobody seems to find that significant.

Steps leading down to St Baruc's well are thought to have been built by the Romans. The nearby chapel about 300 yards away is 10th or 11th century, built from reused Roman stones. The well was said to have filled with 'clear spring water' when the tide was high and emptied when the tide went out but presumably it'd be salt water considering the unusual tidal range of the Channel. The well wouldn't need to contain fresh water as the island has four springs.

Traditionally St Baruc's well was a wishing well, it was found to contain numerous pins, bent and straight, which sounds like a toll point but if it was intended to ensure a supply of fish rather than a supply of drinking water, it might be more accurately described as a 'Venus pool'.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

This is a potentially exciting line of enquiry but only if you can get it to work. For a start I can't see the point of a well which provides either salt or fresh water or both if there are four fresh water springs on hand. Nobody wants the hard work of a well if you can just stick your cup under the tap. Secondly, you surely won't need an unmanned toll point on the edge of the Bristol Channel which requires a boatman to make onward progress. How do salt water wells provide fish? It's an intriguing idea but if they do everybody would be doing it (still). And how do cormorants use them?

But this is the Bristol Channel with its stupendous tides and we still don't know why the Megalithics were drawn to stupendous tides. Or made stupendous tides if you want to be truly radical. So it's all hands to this particular well.
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Ishmael wrote:
I actually think you are a great speaker---with the exception of one single flaw. The tendency to raise the pitch of your voice at the close of every sentence (as though in astonishment).

This is worrying. Has Harpo acquired "High Rising Terminal" syndrome?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_rising_terminal

a high tone (high pitch or high fundamental frequency) beginning on the final accented syllable near the end of the statement (the terminal), and continuing to increase in frequency (up to 40%) to the end of the intonational phrase

Do many get it?

Although it is characterized in Britain as "Australian question intonation" (AQI) and blamed on the popularity of Australian soap operas among teenagers, HRT is also a feature of several Irish-English dialects, especially in mid-Ulster and Belfast English

Harpo, are you still watching Skippy and Neighbours?

Because HRT has been popularized as "Valley Girl Speak", it has acquired an almost exclusively feminine gender connotation.

I thought Australian women in London were confined to Shepherd’s Bush. Have they started spreading north?

Is it serious?

Media in Australia, Britain, and the United States have negatively portrayed the usage of HRT, claiming that its use exhibits a speaker's insecurities about the statement and undermines effective speaking

Don't take any notice darling, they're just jealous.
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Hatty wrote:
It makes sense to assume there was an east-west route long before Hadrian's Wall which had become, or became, obsolete. Due to the absence of references to the wall, some historians appear to think it was built to keep the troops occupied!.

What was it all about?

Hadrian was the greatest builder in Roman history … Following the peace that he declared, the soldiers of Rome were left without a livelihood. The large building projects offered employment to the soldiers and the placement of the temples at the corners of the Empire delineated the borders of the Hellenistic culture and kept the soldiers along the border areas, far from Rome.

By the way, that included temple building in Jerusalem as well.

Hadrian (emperor 117-138 CE) attempted to root out Judaism, which he saw as the cause of continuous rebellions. He prohibited the Torah and the Hebrew calendar. Jerusalem was renamed "Aelia Capitolina"

But then? Unsurprisingly the locals didn't take kindly to that. 600 years later, Arab armies (of Umar ibn al-Khattab) rolled into town. The Arabs asked the local Jewish folk who had built the temple? Not bearing a grudge, they said it was Solomon.

Anyway, back to the wall..

Hadrian started fixing the boundaries and stopped trying to expand the Empire. This raises the firm possibility that Hadrian's Wall in Britain was not built for overtly military reasons, but to keep idle Roman troops busy with civil engineering projects. Especially as military engineering skills readily adapted to civil engineering skills

Fat lot of good it was - it turned out Hadrian's Wall was more of a problem for the Romans than it was for us Brits.

Britain had for (at least) 30 years provoked nothing but trouble for Rome, with rebellious natives and disaffected troops. The Roman garrison on Hadrian’s Wall may have been caught up in this, as it is recorded that it rebelled in 367AD.

Who said so?

The historian Ammianus provides an account of the tumultuous situation in Britain between 364 and 369, and he describes a corrupt and treasonous administration, native British troops (the Areani or Arcani) in collaboration with the barbarians, and a Roman military whose troops had deserted and joined in the general banditry.

Some got a trip to sunny southern seasides instead.

Thracian and Dacian cohorts stationed at Birdoswald on Hadrian’s Wall were well-attested epigraphically, however, from 205 to at least 276. This period overlaps with the reign of Severus and the decision to relocate Roman troops from the Wall to the Shore Forts

Branoduno (Brancaster), Caister-on-Sea, and Regulbium (Reculver).
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Boreades wrote:
The historian Ammianus provides an account of the tumultuous situation in Britain between 364 and 369, and he describes a corrupt and treasonous administration, native British troops (the Areani or Arcani) in collaboration with the barbarians, and a Roman military whose troops had deserted and joined in the general banditry.

According to Wiki Ammianus' chronicle is an important historical source and we're jolly lucky it survived, some of it anyway

Ammianus Marcellinus born c. 330, died c. 391 – 400), was a Roman soldier and historian who wrote the penultimate major historical account surviving from antiquity (preceding Procopius). His work, known as the Res gestae, chronicled in Latin the history of Rome from the accession of the Emperor Nerva in 96 to the death of Valens at the Battle of Adrianople in 378, although only the sections covering the period 353 to 378 survive.

His [Ammianus's] work has suffered terribly from the manuscript transmission. Aside from the loss of the first thirteen books, the remaining eighteen are in many places corrupt and lacunose. The sole surviving manuscript from which almost every other is derived is a ninth-century Carolingian text, Vatican lat. 1873 (V), produced in Fulda from an insular exemplar.

The first reference to the Res gestae is in the fifteenth century

It is generally agreed that, of the sixteen extant manuscripts of the Res Gestae of Ammianus Marcellinus, only two, both Carolingian, have any independent authority for reconstructing the text. One of these, from Fulda, was rediscovered by Poggio Bracciolini in 1417 (the same year as his recovery of Lucretius), was brought to Italy, and remains in the Vatican as Vat. Lat. 1473 = V.

Oh no, not Poggio. He was a prolific forger of 'ancient' sources and mentioned in other posts in connection with Tacitus, Cicero and assorted Classical names.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 57, 58, 59  Next

Jump to:  
Page 58 of 59

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in