MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Comments on Walking Ancient Landscapes (British History)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58, 59  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Nothing. Nada. Nietcherenko. How is everybody else faring? If it's just me (and Hatty) we'll suffer in silence.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

I won't suffer in silence.

I went to check my email, and the damn computer started blue screening. Then it started continual bleeping when I turned it on. Spent the last few hours trying to fix it. Had to resort to taking the back off and spraying the monster with silicon spray, and restarted from disc. The monster is now making a nasty retching sound, the type of sound folks make, on a Saturday, after they have had 10 pints of Guinness and a kebab, walked out in the road, and been run over by a bus.

It appears Chad's premonition was correct.

This is looking like the end of Wile E. Coyote.
Tilo Rebar

In: Sussex

In answer to the question "I wonder how many other places in the world both copper and tin could/can be found in the same small area?", results are looking positive to date...

"One of the most enduring mysteries about ancient technology, Wilford wrote, is where did the metalsmiths of the Middle East [Mesopotamia] get the tin to produce the prized alloy that gave the Bronze Age its name? Digging through ruins and deciphering ancient texts, scholars found many sources of copper ore and evidence of furnaces for copper smelting. But despite their searching, they could never find any sign of ancient tin mining or smelting anywhere closer than Afghanistan."

The nearest early tin mine found to date is in the Taurus Mountains of Turkey, over 700 miles away from where the copper was mined.

However, the occurrence of copper and tin at exactly the same location in Cornwall is fairly common...

"Of around 1,530 mines producing metalliferous minerals in the county between the mid-nineteenth century and the First World War, about 380 derived income from the sale of more than one mineral, or approximately a quarter of the total. These multi-mineral producers included all of the major mines and accounted for more than four-fifths of the county's total output. Of the multiple producers, over 260 mines sold both copper and tin ores in varying combinations, frequently in association with arsenic."

More work needed on this, but so far so good.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

As you know, I asked the Tour de France organisers to arrange stages to St Malo and Mont St Michel to help publicise my Glastonbury talk, which by the way can be viewed here in its entirety, at least on most webservers: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5NSDXL0ndYvOExxUnUxemxNa0U/edit?usp=sharing&pli=1

The Spanish equivalent La Vuelta d'Espagna is helping out with my next talk, the Atlantic Megalithic Trade Routes, by visiting La Isla d'Arousa today and Finisterra tomorrow.
Wile E. Coyote

There was a bit of a discussion, and much falling out earlier with our friend, Don, on the etymology of Marazion.

It was only today I finally cracked it. The answer is simple and obvious. You know it's right once you "think" it.

It tells us a lot about ancient mining communities

Marazion=Amazon
Ishmael

In: Toronto

I don't buy it.

Ma-zon and Ma-zion are two forms of the ancient word I write as Ma-Tzar, which means "feminine-zone." This idea is given to everything from Mother to Mountain.

But when we put an "A" in front of it, we designate it as "primary" -- first. Amazon = First-Feminine-Zone. Make of that what you can.
Wile E. Coyote

Ishmael wrote:
I don't buy it.

Ma-zon and Ma-zion are two forms of the ancient word I write as Ma-Tzar, which means "feminine-zone." This idea is given to everything from Mother to Mountain.

But when we put an "A" in front of it, we designate it as "primary" -- first. Amazon = First-Feminine-Zone. Make of that what you can.

Brilliant.

Just what I was thinking.
Wile E. Coyote

Here's another one I have cracked.

Durdle Door.

There is a myriad of explanations on AE but the most obvious is..

T for D.

It is clearly a Turtle.

Turtle Tor

And that is what it looks like.

I just need to convince the world.
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Mick Harper wrote:
I'd like to know your evidence for this, Chad.

Chad can answer for himself, but I thought I'd contribute a dim memory. Alluvial gold (as well as tin) was extracted from places like Mylor Creek.

These days though, the only gold you will find there is the Golden Postbox that celebrates the Olympic Gold Medal of a local hero, Sir Ben Anslie.

http://www.falriver.co.uk/things-to-do/walking/mylor-walk

They are still finding mine gold in Cornwall, but the usual suspects get to keep it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2420936/The-Queen-Prince-Charles-agree-share-spoils-new-Cornish-gold-bonanza.html

and

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2010/may/06/cornwall-gold-mine-south-crofty
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Ishmael wrote:
Og.

Ge-ORG-e ?

Relationship?

Ogbourne St.George.
Ishmael

I wish you'd link to these insightful posts of mine. I can't follow the thread!
Mick Harper
Site Admin

A nice comment has just been posted on the YouTube page of my Glastonbury talk

Router Daemon:
I must say, that was an exceedingly illuminating and highly plausible presentation. I must for some inexplicable reason also consider buying some coastal land, building a venus pool and attempt to attract a few cormorants. How cool would that be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ_S6zkh_PY

Mick Harper
Site Admin

The response to the Glastonbury lecture continues to bemuse. I gave it a few years ago to a deafening silence. One person reported liking it. I put it up on YouTube, the response fell by one. Then a couple of months ago (I know not why) Megalithomania posted it up without the least fanfare as a YouTube. Since when ten thousand have viewed it and this grows by several hundred a day (even allowing for bots). Plus people actually comment on it. Thirty-four at the moment, the last of which was this from a Rhyannon Lallatin (interspersed as usual)

Spent many hours slowly absorbing this fantastic lecture and simultaneously using Google Earth and internet info to study all these places he discusses. Learned a ton!

You may not realise it but this degree of enthusiasm is fantastically rare. Not just for my work but for anyone's work. People just don't say these things even when they experience it. She cannot be British.

As a geologist, I can tell you that the Channel Islands are made of very solid Precambrian rock (gneiss and amphibolite). They were not any of them man made, but certainly could have been man "altered" in various ways.

I have no idea what this means but I would like to know. I think this would be our first geologist but I am no longer sure what 'being a geologist' means.

Wonder what is now buried under water offshore after sea level rose 400' at the end of the last Ice Age???

I don't much like the three question marks but note the assumption about sea level rise. Surely even a geologist would know that this is impossible even taking Ice Ages at their most extreme.

Who may have been on these islands when much more of them were exposed?

Well, there wouldn't be any islands if you removed four hundred feet of water but I sort of know what she means.

There were also lead and silver mines on some of the islands that were probably exploited anciently too.

Not so anciently. Nineteenth century I think in the case of Sark. But I would like to know more on this subject.

Lots more archaeology needs to be done on the islands and shorelines in the UK and France.

A bit less in my view. Archaeology--at least in its dig-a-hole variety--is the root of much evil.

Thank you so much for posting this! Really enjoyed the time.

You're very welcome but is it going to change the course of your life? I'm not in the entertainment business.
Ishmael

Is there a way you can point those who view your video toward your book?

I think the Venus Pool material is itself worthy of a short book treatment.

I'm planning to next do a short treatment of the Bimini Road material. The full theory ties in perfectly with the Venus Pool phenomenon.

Bimini (and Nazca, and many other geooglyphs) were used to communicate and signal to birds. The flights of those birds was used by mariners for navigation. The island of Bimini was specifically aligned to mark the line of longitude passing through Panama---the shortest overland route between the Atlantic and Pacific.
N R Scott

In: Middlesbrough

Mick Harper wrote:
The response to the Glastonbury lecture continues to bemuse.

Megalithomania have directed it towards your biggest potential audience - the YouTube/Alternative/Conspiracy scene. Much of the stuff on this site would go down equally well if this same audience were made aware of it. For every 50 people that would possibly read a book about a topic like this there are perhaps a hundred thousand that would happily sit and watch a YouTube video about it. It's a broad rabble of people though - ranging from the very, very intelligent to complete and utter fruitcakes, plus everyone in between.

I always get the impression that you lot on here are aiming at a more "academic" audience though. In my opinion this is an audience that doesn't exist (or barely exists). I think most of the actual people in academia are just people that carry out teaching jobs, who would never think to question such things, and just parrot what they themselves were taught. The smarter, more curious ones are probably secretly watching YouTube videos I would imagine lol. The Internet is the modern athenaeum, but because it's so new it doesn't have the gravitas and respectability.

History revisionism and things like Fomenko are starting to become popular now on YouTube as well. Whenever these topics pop up I always have the dilemma of whether to mention this site or not. Normally I don't for fear of sending an army of conspiracy theorists your way.

I would love to share the Deserts stuff with the Alternative Cosmology crowd on YouTube. I think it would go down really well, but I can't imagine you'd appreciate having the work contaminated by association with Flat Earthers and Geocentrists so I don't draw attention to it.

There is a huge audience out there though if you lot ever choose to embrace it.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58, 59  Next

Jump to:  
Page 57 of 59

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in