MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Cloak-not-Dagger (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Tilo Rebar wrote:

I wonder if originally saint = stent = Cornish granite chippings produced as waste from china clay production.

The stent (St) would be used with kaolin and lime to produce geopolymer - a very realistic mouldable artificial stone.

stent (St) stone = saint (St) stone = menhir ???

So the artificial stone navigation marker on Helier = St Helier.

There are tons of places ending in -ston or even -stone including Longstone, Langstone.

A relatively common name like Kingston seems more likely to be a King-stone rather than King's-town since there'd have been an astonishing number of towns otherwise.
Tilo Rebar

In: Sussex

Ishmael wrote:
Hatty wrote:
Can it be a coincidence that Raleigh was made governor of Jersey where he built Elizabeth castle.....

Well I'll be damned.

Seems the eponymous Raleigh (rally?), had a penchant for naming things after Elizabeth 1st. He allegedly sent settlers to North America and named the land Virginia, in honour of the Virgin Queen.

Raleigh was also a strong proponent of the old Davidic theory that the North American indigines were the descendants of the 10 tribes of Israel. Strange bloke.
Tilo Rebar

Kingsteignton (Kings Stent Town), Devon has a history of both clay and limestone quarrying and the remains of at least two ancient lime kilns - principle ingredient for the production of geopolymer.
Tilo Rebar

Stanton (Stenton?) Drew Stone Circles, Somerset, one of which is the second largest circle in UK after Avebury.

Some interesting shapes can be seen...

Ishmael

In: Toronto

Tilo Rebar wrote:
He allegedly sent settlers to North America and named the land Virginia, in honour of the Virgin Queen.

As I have previously pointed out, this is obviously false history.

Virginia means, literally (and only) "Virgin Land." i.e. land that had never been tilled (nor settled). Explorers do not name new lands after the sexual status of their monarchs.

I believe in Raleigh hardly more than I believe in Columbus.

Strange bloke.

He is a strange bloke because his biography was constructed to serve the interests of each contributing author.
Tilo Rebar

Ishmael wrote:
...I believe in Raleigh hardly more than I believe in Columbus...

Quite. I don't think he existed as a real single person - Raleigh is too odd by far.

Just another amalgam of yarns about different people melded together to provide another Great British hero for the masses to idolise - the ultimate purpose of which being to pull them together (rally) in support for their monarch.

The clue was in the name all along.

B.T.W. Finding any records of his antecedents seems to be a bit of a fruitless task so far.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

This seems a good site for you history-is-weird buffs (and not just because it is laudatory about THOBR). Can someone peruse it and report back?

http://malagabay.wordpress.com/2014/05/01/history-stretch
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Mick Harper wrote:
This seems a good site for you history-is-weird buffs (and not just because it is laudatory about THOBR). Can someone peruse it and report back?

http://malagabay.wordpress.com/2014/05/01/history-stretch

I have perused, and am reporting back.

At the top of the page, it has a link to Piers Corbyn very good long range weather forecssts:
http://malagabay.wordpress.com/2014/05/02/piers-corbyn-long-range-weather-forecast/
Piers Corbyn has been banned from the bookies for betting on his forecasts -v- the Met Office forecasts. What better evidence do you need that the MO forecasts are shyte?

At the end of the page, it has a link to an article on 1,500 year climate cycles.
http://malagabay.wordpress.com/2013/01/09/solar-system-holocene-lawler-events/

In between, some bloke called Mick Harper gets a good review of "The History of Britain Revealed: The Shocking Truth About the English Language".

For some strange reason I have more than one copy littering my book shelves and being thumbed by visiting walkers. THOBR has already upset my children's History teacher after they asked her about it. What better recommendation could you ask for than being declared unmentionable? Apart from being declared a heretic and burnt at the stake. But that is a bit career-limiting.
Tilo Rebar

Mick Harper wrote:
...and not just because it (Malagabay) is laudatory about THOBR...

Yes, Tim (aka Malagabay) is always on the look out for the unusual and curious across a wide range of topics - not as nutty as some of the alternative sites, but I'm sure academics would rate him as a fruit-cake.

Good article here which shows that many of the Esquimaux had access to, and used, iron for rude knives, harpoon tips, fish hooks e.t.c., possibly from as long as 10,000 years ago.

This high quality nickel/iron came from the 'Iron Mountain', which turned out to be several huge chunks of an iron meteorite, the fragments of which were dotted all over Greenland.

Link to full article here...
http://malagabay.wordpress.com/2014/04/12/greenland-the-cape-york-iron-meteorites/

With the adoption of iron for tools and weapons, perhaps it is little wonder that this primitive people's descendants went on to become the inheritors of the Earth. More support for your ideas about early Beringia migration patterns.
Hatty
Site Admin

It seems clear, though not necessarily to the blogger, that craters left by the meteorites were filled by ice sheets. As Mick's pointed out, you cannot realistically hope to find evidence of anything, certainly not human and animal, in those circumstances.
Hatty
Site Admin

The chivalric ideal in England is St George, who is of course a later Christianised St Michael, generally represented slaying a dragon and rescuing a maiden. The maiden seems superfluous but in Megalithic lore the swan is, as we know, Hermes (angel, messenger) and in heraldry it was re-presented as a symbol of purity, chastity, etc, i.e. a maiden or virgin.

On a different tack, why hikers and mountaineers stuck a feather in their cap may have once been a sign of valour or skill or even ownership of a prized bird (wearing a lady's token in chivalry being a pale imitation perhaps). [A white feather was used for a time as a symbol of pacifism or cowardice, which seems quite a good illustration of how familiar the image still is even if distorted]
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Hatty wrote:
Just having witnessed Number One Son's graduation ceremony and cooed over his mortar-board and gown made me appreciate how much uniforms lend gravitas to rites of passage occasions.

The gown/cloak is a status symbol. There must be a reason why the cloak of St Martin of Tours (the one he cut in two and gave half, not the whole mind you, to a beggar, i.e. Christ in disguise) one of Europe's most prized relics.

And Sir Walter Raleigh famously laid his cloak over a puddle for Gloriana. There seems to be a link with the celebration of the old god/goddess being replaced; what's being 'sacrificed' is the season, the half-cloak or half-year.

I recently came across St Martin, via a soldier of the same name. He asked me what I thought.

I had forgotten this thread so said it was most likely a retelling or forerunner of some form of Mars worship as the name and military cloak was a bit of a giveaway. When I loooked it a bit further it hit me that the cloak was a clock.

Coming back to the thread and after looking it a bit more I am now thinking that a cloak and belt are a clock and bells.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Well explain yourself!
Wile E. Coyote

Lets take a look.

Hatty wrote:
Just having witnessed Number One Son's graduation ceremony and cooed over his mortar-board and gown made me appreciate how much uniforms lend gravitas to rites of passage occasions.

The gown/cloak is a status symbol. There must be a reason why the cloak of St Martin of Tours (the one he cut in two and gave half, not the whole mind you, to a beggar, i.e. Christ in disguise) one of Europe's most prized relics.

And Sir Walter Raleigh famously laid his cloak over a puddle for Gloriana. There seems to be a link with the celebration of the old god/goddess being replaced; what's being 'sacrificed' is the season, the half-cloak or half-year.

You can see the seasonal clock ticking away in Hats post. You can also see the clock in lunar calendars.The moon becomes cloaked or veiled, allowing you to work out various hunting fishing cycles.

Or maybe, if as you farming chappies do, you prefer to worship the sun, think of it as a day/night and seasonal cycle.
Wile E. Coyote

Clock
on line wrote:

late 14c., clokke, originally "clock with bells," probably from Middle Dutch clocke (Dutch klok) "a clock," from Old North French cloque (Old French cloke, Modern French cloche), from Medieval Latin (7c.) clocca "bell," probably from Celtic (compare Old Irish clocc, Welsh cloch, Manx clagg "a bell") and spread by Irish missionaries (unless the Celtic words are from Latin); ultimately of imitative origin.

Of course orthodox linguistics is using orthodox history. Still I have a nagging feeling that Clock and Cloak look similar, no?
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Jump to:  
Page 7 of 8

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in