MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Cloak-not-Dagger (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

The hero of the Gesta Romanorum is Guido, Gui de Warwick, who went to the Holy Land out of repentance for his violent past and returned to live as a hermit by the River Avon. A 'life' that is echoed by St. Maughold and other important Megalithic 'saints'.

His supposed hermitage is still known as Guy's Cliff. The chantry is said to have been built on account of the legend and became a chapel dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene. The whole site fell into disrepair but fortunately in the twentieth century the chapel was sold to the Freemasons.

The Gesta is a loose collection of texts, similar to other hermetic collections such as the Golden Legend. The "only known copy" resides at St. John's College, Cambridge naturally.
Hatty
Site Admin

The Gesta are not so much 'moralisations' as moral fables. They distinguish between truth and lies. What is interesting is they are supposed to have originated in England but have an oriental 'flavour'. The "Romanorum" doesn't refer to Roman but to romance, i.e. giants, dwarfs, princesses, enchanted castles etc. Although not officially in circulation before the mid-fourteenth century -- 1349 is cited (needles to say the MS is nowhere to be found) -- it is clear the stories are far older.

If, as claimed, this was the most popular story-book of the Middle Ages and the inspiration for Bocaccio, Chaucer, Shakespeare et al., why did it take five hundred or so years for an English translation (1824)?
Hatty
Site Admin

Who 'invented' royal coronations? Charlemagne was famously crowned Roman Emperor by the Pope so it seems to be a Frankish rite but surely kings or even queens were at least anointed? Or p'raps not... Wiki says Edgar the Peaceful was the first Anglo-Saxon king to have a coronation thereby creating a precedent both for himself and his queen.

Interestingly, he chose Bath as the location for this momentous occasion. Bath is of course a very Megalithic setting.
nemesis8

In: byrhfunt

Hunters/thieves>>>> rob the animal of its coat.

Rob>>>>Robe>>>>Robe and Hood>>>>>Robin Hood

N8 missed something obvious when advancing this.

Stole leads to>>>> Stole.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

These are N8's best insights thus far!
nemesis8

In: byrhfunt

Great.... you're finally back....good hunting, Ish.
Edwin

Just because I like it and its relevant to the beginning of this topic.

Welsh lullaby Pais Dinogad:

English-
Dinogad's shift is speckled, speckled,
It was made from the pelts of martens.
`Wee! Wee!' Whistling.
We call, they call, the eight in chains.
When your father went out to hunt -
A spear on his shoulder, a club in his hand -
He called on his lively dogs,
`Giff! Gaff! Take, take! Fetch, fetch!'
He killed fish from his coracle
Like the lion killing small animals.
When your father went to the mountains
He would bring back a roebuck, a boar, a stag,
A speckled grouse from the mountain,
And a fish from the Derwennydd falls.
At whatever your father aimed his spear -
Be it a boar, a wild cat, or a fox -
None would escape but that had strong wings.

7th century Welsh-
Peis dinogat e vreith vreith.
o grwyn balaot ban wreith.
chwit chwit chwidogeith.
gochanwn gochenyn wythgeith.
pan elei dy dat ty e helya;
llath ar y ysgwyd llory eny law.
ef gelwi gwn gogyhwc.
giff gaff. dhaly dhaly dhwg dhwg.
ef lledi bysc yng corwc.
mal ban llad. llew llywywg.
pan elei dy dat ty e vynyd.
dydygai ef penn ywrch penn gwythwch pen hyd.
penn grugyar vreith o venyd.
penn pysc o rayadyr derwennyd.
or sawl yt gyrhaedei dy dat ty ae gicwein
o wythwch a llewyn a llwyuein.
nyt anghei oll ny uei oradein.

And note the modern Welsh version (where is "Middle Welsh")

Pais Dinogad sydd fraith, fraith,
O groen y bela y mae'i waith.
`Chw! Chw!' Chwibanwaith.
Gwaeddwn ni, gwaeddant hwy - yr wyth gaeth.
Pan elai dy dad di i hela -
Gwaywffon ar ei ysgwydd, pastwn yn ei law -
Galwai ar gw+n tra chyflym,
`Giff! Gaff! Dal, dal! Dwg, dwg!'
Fe laddai bysgod o'i gwrwgl
Fel y llada llew faen-filod!
Pan elai dy dad di i'r mynydd
Deuai ef ag un iwrch, un twrch coed, un hydd,
Un rugiar fraith o fynydd,
A physgodyn o readr Derwennydd.
Beth bynnag a gyrhaeddai dy dad 'i bicell -
Boed yn dwrch, yn gath goed, yn lwynog -
Ni ddihangai'r un oni bai'n nerthol ei adenydd.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Megalithic History.

Chivalry - Walter Raleigh is reputed to have placed a cloak over a puddle in order to prevent Queen Elizabeth I from muddying her shoes..........

Contra orthodoxy this was not a real event to stop her getting "a booty."

Here we see a moon cycle. Elizabeth the pale moon goddess, is visualized over a expanse of water. Her seafarer protector Raleigh cloaks then uncloaks the moon goddess.

Can it be a coincidence that Raleigh was made governor of Jersey where he built Elizabeth castle.....
Ishmael

Oh do come on.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Ishmael wrote:
Oh do come on.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/topcat_angel/2343618575/

You have to go through a number of faces phases, till you reach "realisation."
Ishmael

Coyote. I am really getting tired of these empty meaningless posts! You make more posts than anyone else and most of what you write utter nonsense!!!

If you have an original idea, post about it. Otherwise, stop polluting the forum with garbage. And it is garbage. Trash. Spam.
Hatty
Site Admin

Wile E. Coyote wrote:
Megalithic History.

Chivalry - Walter Raleigh is reputed to have placed a cloak over a puddle in order to prevent Queen Elizabeth I from muddying her shoes..........

Can it be a coincidence that Raleigh was made governor of Jersey where he built Elizabeth castle.....

Elizabeth Castle is one of the causewayed tidal islands that crop up in strategic locations, in this case the southernmost point of Jersey. Modern ferries provide access from St Helier to the castle

though pilgrims cross on foot on St Helier's Day

St Helier, sometimes said to be a pupil of St Marculf, was a hermit who resided on L'Islet, the name of the rock
Helier's cave became the site of a chapel at the Hermitage near Elizabeth Castle, and an annual pilgrimage is made across the causeway to commemorate the island's local saint.

It could be that the legend of Raleigh and his cloak came about after the causeway and patriotically named castle. L'Islet and Lisbeth or Elizabeth sound similar so it may be a play on words, something a poet like Raleigh would excel at.

St Helier, Jersey's patron saint and first martyr, built an oratory on the summit of the island. He was attacked by axe-wielding Saxon pirates and fell down dead after being struck on the head, not a bad description of a menhir being toppled. His remains needless to say have never been located.
Tilo Rebar

In: Sussex

Hatty wrote:
...not a bad description of a menhir being toppled...

I wonder if originally saint = stent = Cornish granite chippings produced as waste from china clay production.

The stent (St) would be used with kaolin and lime to produce geopolymer - a very realistic mouldable artificial stone.

stent (St) stone = saint (St) stone = menhir ???

So the artificial stone navigation marker on Helier = St Helier.
Ishmael

Hatty wrote:

Well I'll be damned.
Hatty
Site Admin

Ishmael wrote:
Hatty wrote:

Well I'll be damned.

The connection was made by Wile E. our resident hunter.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Jump to:  
Page 6 of 8

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in