MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Bring Me Sunshine... (Health)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian Ambrose

Just as the government and Tesco are trying to get us to eat even less saturated fat, looks like fat-is-good is going mainstream:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/11/04/saturated-fat-intake.aspx
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Brian Ambrose wrote:
Just as the government and Tesco are trying to get us to eat even less saturated fat, looks like fat-is-good is going mainstream:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/11/04/saturated-fat-intake.aspx

Yes, indeed. The BMJ is openly saying the same.
http://www.bmj.com/content/347/bmj.f6340

I have been saying the same ever since c.1984 when I was involved in a research project on the effects of electromagnetic radiation. By itself, no problem. But when combined in a cocktail effect with certain other conditions, potentially damaging.

One condition was the coincidence of high-voltage power lines with areas with higher-than-normal radiation exposure. Result = anomalous leukemia clusters.

The other condition is electromagnetic radiation on people with low cholesterol levels. As cholesterol is an important part of the brain's structure. In extreme, result = neurological damage.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Or as I have been saying when exposure to the Dr Atkins diet caused me to give the matter some thought. Since Man's body evolved over zumpilliontrillion years eating entirely fats and proteins (with no input from the dreaded carbohydrates introduced belatedly in the Neolithic Farming Revolution c 6000 BC) it follows that Man's body will fare best on a diet of fats and proteins.
Tilo Rebar

In: Sussex

Mick Harper wrote:
Man's body will fare best on a diet of fats and proteins.

So true, I completely concur. As a meat lover, who also enjoys dairy products, it is obvious that our bodies do best on animal fat and protein.

Despite having worked for a large company for a number of years who produced 'healthy' margerine, I still couldn't resist the allure of tasty hot buttered crumpet in front of a roaring log fire.

Mick, regarding your allusion to Early to bed, early to rise e.t.c., reminded me of this rhyme told to me by my old grandma...

"Sing at the table, Sing in bed, Bugger-man will get you when you're dead!"

Never did understand what it meant and still makes no sense to me to this day.
Boreades

It looks like Mick's been doing a little moonlighting as a model for a certain gentlemen's magazine.

7 Reasons to Become a Gentleman Gardener.

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2013/04/05/7-reasons-to-become-a-gentleman-gardener/

Not sure how easy that is to do in Notting Hill. Perhaps more visits to Boreadeshire are required?
Boreades

Much hilarity in the media about Orange Bad Man and his suggestion that sunlight could be a cure for Covid-19. What a stupid thing to say was the general tone.

And yet.

(1) Ultra-violet treatment

I recall our local swimming pool proudly announcing it was changing the water treatment from chlorine (and other unpleasant chemicals) to an ultra-violet cleaning system that removed 99%+ of bacteria and viruses. But there might be some gotcha on the type of ultra-violet they use?

(2) Vitamin D deficiency

Even Guardian letter writers say BAME people are more at risk because they don't get enough sunlight.

I am not alone in being alarmed at the preponderance of deaths from Covid-19 among those with dark skin (UK government urged to investigate coronavirus deaths of BAME doctors, 10 April). While Covid-19 is likely to magnify the effect of social deprivation, I don’t think this is the whole story.

That's an oblique reference to earlier Guardian articles blaming social deprivation.

Vitamin D is needed for many reasons, including correct functioning of the immune system. It is converted to its active form by the action of sunlight on the skin. This is impeded by having dark skin and leads to low levels of vitamin D. Supplementing with vitamin D3 at 5000iu daily corrects this deficiency, and it is now an urgent need for all people with dark skin (and most with white). There is a reasonable chance that vitamin D replacement could help reduce the risk we are seeing playing out so tragically in the BAME community.

Vitamin D3 at 5000iu daily is probably the safest route, as sunbathing in your local park will probably get you fined by any local plod that are eager to exercise their new powers.

I am convinced that the damage to health of an unhealthy lifestyle is being magnified by the pandemic. Healthy vitamin D levels might well make a difference. It might be useful if this, and other lifestyle advice, was given more prominence in the daily press briefings.
Dr Colin Bannon
Crapstone, Devon

Thank you Dr Colin, but how likely is it that medical evidence (that actually suggested Orange Man had said something that wasn't Bad) will get headline coverage in the Guardian?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/15/role-of-vitamin-d-deficiency-in-bame-medic-deaths
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I have myself been witnessing nightly Orange Man vs CNN. Though the former is a dickhead and the latter isn't, it is the former that keeps making sense and the latter that keeps not. One is a politician and the other is 'science-led' but it is politics we live by not science.
Boreades

After Orange Bad Man and his suggestion that sunlight could be a cure for Covid-19, it looks like US and UK researchers in that area are keeping their heads down for a while.

Not so in Indonesia.

A new Indonesian study of 780 people with Coronavirus found that people with a Vitamin D deficiency were much more likely to die.

No surprise so far. What with co-morbidity and all that. As in, already at risk because of other health issues.

Of those who died most (85%) had a co-morbidity, the real surprise is that even more than that, 96%, had low Vitamin D levels. Of those who survived, most people had normal Vitamin D levels.

Well alright, but so what?

After controlling for known risk like being old, or male or having high blood pressure, a Vitamin D level described as deficient (less than 20ng/ml) was associated with a 10 fold greater risk of death.

It's worse than that (Jim)

when vitamin D levels fall below 30 ng/ml (moderate levels) people were 12 times as likely to die — and when they were even lower, below 20ng/ml, people were 19 times as likely to die

Anything over a 10 fold greater risk of death is a huge factor. Yet still largely ignored in the UK MSM.

Is it therefore possible that the greatest factor in the reduction in the number of new cases of Covid-19 will be people staying at home and sitting in the sunshine in their gardens? Not staying indoors, covered up, and suffering from Vitamin D deficiencies.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

As someone who hasn't seen the sun since Skegness in '02 and won't have fruit or veg in the house, I always make sure to take two multivitamins a day. Why doesn't the whole world do this? Or they could put it in the water.
Boreades

Mick Harper wrote:
Why doesn't the whole world do this?

Because Vitamin D pills are pennies or peanuts, not exciting world-breaking discoveries that get Nobel prizes or celebrity status.

All the major drug research firms are busy looking for a much bigger gravy train. Like the next Tamiflu. You may remember that.

The medical joke at the time was that Tamiflu did nothing to cure the patient, it just suppressed the symptoms. So the patient thought it was safe to go back to work, while still contagious, and mix with other people. Thus expanding the market for more Tamiflu sales.
Boreades

Mick Harper wrote:
As someone who hasn't seen the sun since Skegness in '02 and won't have fruit or veg in the house, I always make sure to take two multivitamins a day..

Nuts. You need to eat nuts.

Viral and bacterial infections are often associated with deficiencies in macronutrients and micronutrients, including the essential trace element selenium. In selenium deficiency, benign strains of Coxsackie and influenza viruses can mutate to highly pathogenic strains.

Best source of selenium is Brazil nuts, or Cashews, or Bananas.

Another source that is rich in selenium is Fish (chips optional). Other sources include Eggs, Ham & bacon, Baked beans, Mushrooms. Traditional taken as the Full English breakfast.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

There are two axes here: rich/poor and white/black. Looking at your list it is certainly true that some immigrant sections of BAME seem deficient especially vegetarian -- or at any rate rice-based -- ones. On the other hand, it sounds like the (current, anyway) diet of the poor. Except we get on to this business of processing. What is left of vitamin D or selenium in a portion of cod and chips?

Who eats nuts? Except at Christmas. Well the mobocracy in the form of Crunchy Nut Cornflakes. Kelloggs always make a big thing about everything being vitamin-enhanced but how much of a difference does it really make? And, Borry, I have just been through the list of ingredients in my bottle of vitamin pills. No mention of selenium. Help! Re bananas. They are the most consumed fruit in Britain by far (don't write in to say they aren't fruit). I bought a bunch the other day, had a heavenly banana sandwich and then the rest just rotted away. I couldn't bring myself. I might eat one a day if I thought it was medicine.

There's a lot potentially for us here. And by the way, in case I didn't mention it, a friend of mine was cured of their ME (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) of many years by adopting my one spoon of salt a day remedy. Remember our motto: the truth is out there. No, sorry, that's the X-files, isn't it. The truth is always simple.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Re metal supplements, a personal anecdote. Yesterday afternoon I suddenly felt wiped out. Overwhelmed with lassitude. Surprisingly, that is very unusual for me. I decided it was because of the six bottles of diet coke I got with my meal deal (I have recently given up sweeteners in favour of sugar) so I swigged the lot to get them out of the way.

Then, in the evening, when it was time to take my supplements I realised I hadn't taken my iron pills the day before. Typically, I'd run out and couldn't be bothered to make a special trek to the kitchen to get more, and then forgot. This has happened before i.e. a cessation of iron leading immediately to a quite significant deterioration.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

It should not be overlooked (because it's unpleasant) but the undue deaths in care homes and the persistent excess 25% non-Covid related deaths represent a huge boost to Britain's prosperity, as these non-productive but expensive-to-maintain units are eliminated. Not that, at my age, I would urge it to become policy.
Chad

In: Ramsbottom

I feel sorry for our poor overworked funeral industry. What they are experiencing, at the moment, is simply an unusually early harvest, with the majority of funerals being basic, low cost affairs.

With approximately ninety percent of fatalities being in the over sixty-five age group (and the majority of the remaining ten percent being ‘vulnerable’ types) there will be far fewer people dying from normal ‘natural’ causes once this has all blown over.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 3

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in