MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
What About Them Apples? (History)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

The vow of perpetual virginity might have been a figurative term, rather than literal, as Strabo mentions:

"In the ocean, not right out into the open sea, but just facing the mouth of the Loire, Posidonius pointed out to us a rather narrow island inhabited by the so-called Namnetes women, who were possessed by Bacchic passion. They tried by means of mysteries and other religious ceremonies to appease and disarm the god who tormented them. No man ever set foot on their island; it was they who crossed to the mainland to do business with their husbands." (Strabo, IV,4)

Or, on the Namnete Women's Island

No man was ever allowed on the island and the women themselves sailed from it to have intercourse with men on the continent before returning there again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Namnetes
Boreades

Hatty wrote:
Could it be the same word as deniz, sea in Turkish?

Deniz remains me of Doenitz.
As in, Admiral Doenitz.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_D%C3%B6nitz
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Ach, der Fuhrer. But surely his name comes from Denis ie Dionysus.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Lancaster.

Lan-Castor.

Castor and Pollux.

That would make York somehow = Pullox.

BTW -- this whole thing with the two identical rose heraldry devices then being united in the Tudor Rose symbol---far too cute by more than half! Come on. This is obvious nonsense.

And if that's a fiction, what else is?

Just about the whole thing I imagine.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

"When Castor was killed, Pollux asked Zeus to let him share his own immortality with his twin to keep them together, and they were transformed into the constellation Gemini."
-- Wikipedia

York kills Lancaster then combines the latter's symbol with his own, that mortal Pollux might share in the Golden Age.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Mick Harper wrote:
Ach, der Fuhrer. But surely his name comes from Denis ie Dionysus.

wiki wrote:

Dionysus had a strange birth that evokes the difficulty in fitting him into the Olympian pantheon. His mother was a mortal woman, Semele, the daughter of king Cadmus of Thebes, and his father was Zeus, the king of the gods. Zeus' wife, Hera, discovered the affair while Semele was pregnant.

wiki wrote:

In Greek mythology, Selene (/sɨˈliːni/; Greek Σελήνη [selɛ̌ːnɛː] 'moon';) is the goddess of the moon. She is the daughter of the Titans Hyperion and Theia, and sister of the sun-god Helios, and Eos, goddess of the dawn. She drives her moon chariot across the heavens. Several lovers are attributed to her in various myths, including Zeus, Pan, and the mortal Endymion. In classical times, Selene was often identified with Artemis,

on-line wrote:

Endimion
beautiful youth, son of Jupiter and Calyce, beloved by Moon-goddess Selene, from Greek, perhaps literally "diver, plunger," from endyein "to enter into, sink into, plunge, dive," which was used in reference to the sun or stars setting into the sea. On this theory, he originally was a solar deity, a personification of the setting sun.

St Denis is a christian reworking on the phases of the moon. The moon messenger is perceived as a "head". Dennis loses his head and then is reheaded, it's a cycle.

I strongly suspect Semele=Selene (but, hey ho, can't prove it)

Orthodoxy can't see Edimion is End (day) Moon. Don't know why.
Again its a process.

Arte mis and Her mes are both moon messengers.

Artemis is still seen as a moon goddess but although folks make a link between Thoth, this part of Hermes is dropped. At some point Moon gods get written out of western history.
Wile E. Coyote

The Goddesses of the lunar months are the 50 Mennai, these are daughters of Selene (the Moon) and Endymion king of Olympia (geddit). It was also the home of the Olympic Games.

The Menai represented approximately the fifty lunar months of the four-year Olympiad. The eight-year Octaeteris consisted of two Olympiads of fifty and forty-nine months respectively.

A 99 lunar month cycle equates to 8 solar years, and would recalibrate your calendar. It's a cycle, circle etc.

The Menai strait http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menai_Strait is a narrow straight that separates Anglesey (ynes Mon) from Wales.

Incidentally, Selene looks like Sealine/sealane
Boreades

Ishmael wrote:
BTW -- this whole thing with the two identical rose heraldry devices then being united in the Tudor Rose symbol---far too cute by more than half! Come on. This is obvious nonsense.

Why? To the victor, the spoils. What better way of showing to the whole world you now ruled both territories?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

So, Wiley, if I understand you aright, you are endorsing Ishmael's theory that the Second World War never happened but was in fact a mythical re-rendering of the Wars of the Roses.

Hermes as the disappearing half of the Moon god/goddess is good. We need a reason.
Wile E. Coyote

Mick Harper wrote:
So, Wiley, if I understand you aright, you are endorsing Ishmael's theory that the Second World War never happened but was in fact a mythical re-rendering of the Wars of the Roses.

Hermes as the disappearing half of the Moon god/goddess is good. We need a reason.

Well I haven't got one. I suspect that where you have a lunar solar calendar, you can get a male moon god but where you get a solar lunar, this "moon god" bit gets written out, he becomes a more powerful earthy messenger. But that is not going to get any prize for Political Correctness. So I won't mention it.

The adoption of the Solar-lunar is associated with the development of a linear chronology. Sun day becomes the start day of a fixed week, month years system etc.

The Lunar Solar is based primarily on flexible recalibrating Circle/Cycles.
Wile E. Coyote

BTW I am not really sure what Ish is saying.

I don't really mind what chronology folks write their history by.

If your folks want to use a "modified" solar lunar fixed Roman calendar and chronology, based on the life of Christ rather than the orthodox one, it is just fine by me, providing I know it.

I simply make the point that if he existed, he (Jesus) was probably celebrating a lunar Sabbath by observing it on the seventh, fourteenth, twenty first and twenty eighth day of each lunar month. He probably divided his day into "watches."

But we will never really know. I can't claim to be an expert.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Jump to:  
Page 10 of 10

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in