MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
What About Them Apples? (History)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Julius got it in the Ides before being resurrected......
Wile E. Coyote

Hector's body is mistreated for 12+days (we now know the significance of the body being pulled behind the chariot) before, on the gods' instructions, Achilles returns the body.
Wile E. Coyote

Jorn wrote:

From what I have seen, northern people did not divide the day in 12 hours, but rather the day+night first in eight, then the eights in three, giving you 24 hours.

Threes and nines are cropping everywhere.......

You Norsemen really like em.......

If I was to say 9 day week?

Three weeks in a month....?
Jorn

Wile E. Coyote wrote:

Threes and nines are cropping everywhere.......

You Norsemen really like em.......

If I was to say 9 day week?

Three weeks in a month....?

I know 9 was a holy number, and I have tried to find out why, but I have not seen any indication that something else than a seven day week was used.

That the tide changes direction every 7 days, and that week is etymologically connected to a change in both OE and ON, is enough for me to look for the reason of nine being holy somewhere else.

I don't know if I have said this before, but I think Germanic languages originated as a trade language for the nations surrounding the North sea and the Norwegian coast, and not in the Nordic bronze age.

If so, one might as well look in OE or Old Frisian, than look at only Scandinavia to find the answers.

Why can't the holy number 9 have originated in Britain and in OE?

Most other holy and religious stuff have come from there to Scandinavia in historical time, so why should it have been different in pre historical time?

By the way, we were not Northmen to the British or Icelanders, but Eastmen, and you were called Westmen by us.

I haven't really seen any indication that the nations surrounding the North sea have seen each other as different ethnicities either. Norwegians, Swedes, Danes and Dutch have always been free to immigrate to England and Scotland and vice versa. Roald Dahl is English, born to Norwegian parents, but is the same true of every immigrant?
Chad

In: Ramsbottom

By the way, we were not Northmen to the British or Icelanders, but Eastmen, and you were called Westmen by us.

I haven't really seen any indication that the nations surround the North sea have seen each other as different ethnicities...

We are all Doggermen.

Ishmael

In: Toronto

Wile E. Coyote wrote:
Hector's body is mistreated for 12+days (we now know the significance of the body being pulled behind the chariot) before, on the gods' instructions, Achilles returns the body.

We do?
Jorn

Chad wrote:

We are all Doggermen.

Scandinavia seems to have been settled in three waves.

One group from Doggerland.
One group from the north.

The third group is the boat-ax people, that we don't know where came from. They might have been indigenous, or they might have come from Northern Germany.

After this, there are no major changes in the population until the modern third world immigration.

This is a problem for the Indo-European believers, because Germanic is supposedly the youngest of the Indo-European family, but must have come to Scandinavia early in the stone age.
N R Scott

In: Middlesbrough

Awhile ago Ishmael wrote:
Mick has spoken a lot about the strange origins of Protestant Christianity. This morning I read in the Newspaper an interesting fact. It seems that Martin Luther nailed the 95 Thesis to the Cathedral door on Halloween. October 31st.

The Halloween pumpkin is a symbol of Protestantism.

According to an eighteenth-century book on the history of Connecticut, dried pumpkin shells gave the colonists a head start on haircuts. A pumpkin shell was placed on top of a colonist's shaggy noggin and used as a cutting guide. People with these hairstyles were called "pumpkin-heads."

http://www.highlightskids.com/stories/great-pumpkin

So the Roundheads, with their bowl-cut hairstyles were literally Pumpkinheads. The fact that orange was the colour of the Protestant movement would make the Halloween pumpkin something of a totemic symbol for them.

The relationship between pumpkin and Thanksgiving probably has a similar history.
N R Scott

When I was looking this up I was reminded of the XTC song The Ballad of Peter Pumpkinhead

Peter Pumpkinhead was too good
Had him nailed to a chunk of wood

Out of curiosity I looked up what album it came from - Nonsuch.

In a 1992 MTV interview, Andy Partridge said that he had selected the name of the album after encountering a drawing of Nonsuch Palace and, thinking that the archaic word "Nonsuch" meant "does not exist" rather than, as he later learned, "unique".

My thoughts exactly...
N R Scott

More evidence linking Halloween and Protestantism. I found this in a book about Nostradamus.

Now they called a Calvinist a Huguenot. The label came from le roi Huguet, a character taken from a popular folk tale from Tours. He was the ghost of a wicked king who chose not to pass his nocturnal penance in Purgatory, but instead haunted the night, waylaying lonely travelers on country roads and rattling the shutters and doors of decent people's homes, disturbing their sleep. It so happened that the Calvinists of Tours gathered at night to pray at a city gate known as Roi-Hugon. Priests and parishioners across France reveled in the pun that identified Protestants shuffling off after dark to pray and hobnob with the unrepentant shade of King Huguet. The Huguenots (freely translated as the "followers of Huguet") were soon compared to the mythological ghouls and ghosts who once a year, on All Soul's Day, ventured out from their tombs for a night of unholy Halloween mischief before settling back into their graves.

According to Wiktionary Hugon means "man of spirit" and derives from the Old High German word hugu meaning intelligence.
N R Scott

On a slightly more festive note I've also been wondering about something else - the Christingle orange.

The Christingle orange is a round, orange fruit with a candle stuck on top.

The Halloween pumpkin is a round, orange vegetable with a candle stuck inside.

Are the two linked?

Incidentally, Christingle has its roots in the Moravian Church - supposedly the very first Protestant church.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Orangemen are protestants.
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

N R Scott wrote:
The Christingle orange is a round, orange fruit with a candle stuck on top...

.. which, from above, resembles a rose.

Was Martin Luther a Rosicrucian?

N R Scott

Boreades wrote:
Was Martin Luther a Rosicrucian?

I think that's a possibility. This is Luther's symbol the Luther Rose.

Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Well, is he a Yorkist or a Lancastrian?
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Jump to:  
Page 8 of 10

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in