MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Exercise kills! (Health)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edwin

I think that to describe Roy Meadows as having been railroaded is very wide of the mark but whether or not he was doesn't alter the injustice of the closed family Court system in certain cases nor the false premise of the salt poisoning accusations.

The whole acceptance of prosecutor created scenarios is something that should be raised on its own.
GrouchoMarxthespot

See children frolicking in the sea all day and ingesting large amounts of sea

Water water everywhere...why cannot mariners drink sea water - if it turns out that they could have then many long voyages become possible?
Edwin

Too much salt is poisonous and drinking sea water kills but the body can, given fresh water, excrete any surplus salt without any trouble which is why deliberate poisoning with salt is difficult if not impossible. Vomit or piss, the body does it.

There is a condition called salt diabetes, diabetes insipidus, which could well be the reason for fatal levels of salt in the blood of alleged victims. Meadows is the author of the paper on salt poisoning used to convict adults in charge of children where diabetes insipidus could have been the cause.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

I seem to remember this case. The parents were accused to the bemusement of everybody else who had never heard of such a method of child abuse.

This is reminiscent of the Middlesborough Anal Rape cases (or as Viz Comic called it The Bottom Inspectors) where all of a sudden (ie an 'expert' had a theory) a child's swollen rectum was taken as conclusive evidence of abuse. Result: dozens of children taken into care from one town. Even though, as people pointed out, this is in fact quite rare.

Did Meadows become an expert on salt specifically in order to convict?
Edwin

Without revealing confidences, I was actually asked to check on someone associated with that case who had applied for a post as a social worker. Only using published media I should add but this was pre-internet days when electronic searches were an esoteric mystery.

The results showed that staff shouldn't be sent away on courses lest they become converts to the latest fad.
GrouchoMarxthespot

Did Meadows become an expert on salt specifically in order to convict?

Did he ever appear for the defence?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Good to find out I wuz right as usual. According to a Cochrane Review (ie a summation of all published trials) people who took anti-oxidant vitamin pills lived slightly less long than people who didn't. (Test sample: 200,000)
Chad

In: Ramsbottom

According to a Cochrane Review...

I only know him for his work on the Warp Drive... I had no idea he also dabbled in statistical analysis.
Chad

Good to find out I wuz right as usual.

Depends on the makeup of the sample group.

The vitamin takers probably contained a significant sub-group who took supplements because they felt somewhat under par and who might otherwise (in the absence of supplementation) have developed life shortening diseases.

The fact then that the vitamin takers lived almost as long as the others, would therefore be proof of efficacy.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I don't think so. I took the material from last Saturday's Guardian Bad Science column which clearly takes these things into account:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/aug/26/bad-science-vitamin-pills-lead-you-to-take-risks

PS Did you like the way I took this Cochrane Review thing as the most familiar procedure in the world? First I'd heard of it, natch.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Clearly the Guardian columnist didn't take 'these things into account'. In real life as opposed to lab conditions people who take vitamins are health-conscious and it's reasonable to assume most had a valid reason (or thought they did) to be worried in the first place. It's not good science.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

The Cochrane Review took it into account. It's too elementary not to.
Chad

Strange... I've done a search on the entire Cochrane Review Library list and the only report on 'antioxidant vitamins' is in relation to their efficacy in preventing macular degeneration of the retina with age (they had no effect).

I even opened the search to include all reviews with 'vitamin' in the title... and still nothing fit the bill.

But the methodology of these reviews is such that I would tend to go along with the conclusions... As I said though, it's strange I couldn't find reference to this particular one.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I did the same thing but when I came to a dead end I decided to apply 'careful ignoral'. The story was just too good.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

In spite of themselves, orthodoxy appears to be catching up to us in every area of research.

Exercise Hurts Heart
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jump to:  
Page 3 of 4

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in