MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Exercise kills! (Health)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keimpe

In: Leeuwarden, Frisia

Ishmael wrote:
Keimpe wrote:
So you're saying fat people get more heart attacks than skinny people, but among skinny people more runners (or athletes in general) get heart attacks than non-runners?

Yeppers.

Yes, without knowing the actual numbers, I think I'll have to agree on that.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Keimpe wrote:
After the fast, you are only allowed one carb meal a day, and you must exercise vigorously for at least 4 hours a week.

After which you are granted absolution and all the saints will hear your prayers.
Chad

In: Ramsbottom

Ishmael wrote:
Keimpe wrote:
So you're saying fat people get more heart attacks than skinny people, but among skinny people more runners (or athletes in general) get heart attacks than non-runners?

Yeppers.

Vigorous exercise leads to magnesium depletion... which in turn leads to arrhythmia.

Oral re-hydration drinks contain too little magnesium (it causes diarrhoea if taken in large doses orally). It is best replenished transdermally by soaking in a bath containing magnesium sulphate or magnesium chloride.

Footballers go down with cramp (late in games) for the same reason.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Too complicated
Chad

Ishmael wrote:
Too complicated

Not so... it's really very simple.

We have touched on the importance of sodium chloride (common salt) in the human diet and wondered what the optimum intake might actually be... But there is much more to salt than sodium chloride.

Magnesium salts and potassium salts are just as important... and I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that it's virtually impossible to take in too much salt (of any of these elements)... the body simply utilizes what it needs and excretes the rest in urine (providing the body isn't deficient in any of the others... and I may have to include calcium).

It is however very easy to become deficient in these salts... modern diets are very low in magnesium and potassium... and most ailments attributed to high levels of sodium are actually caused by a deficiency in magnesium and potassium.
Chad

A move towards the use of refined table salt (pure sodium chloride) rather than coarse sea salt (sodium chloride + magnesium chloride + traces of other goodies) has contributed to a general deficiency of dietary magnesium... but an even more important factor is intensive farming.

Modern fertilizers contain so little magnesium sulphate, that arable farmland is gradually being depleted of its natural reserves of magnesium... A modern carrot contains only about a tenth of the magnesium of its 1940s counterpart.
Chad

Why do so many people report remarkable improvements in health after visiting health spas and thermal baths?

The poor buggers are chronically deficient in some salt or other, which they temporarily correct transdermally by immersion in the mineral rich waters... Our skins are particularly suited to this method of acquisition (a legacy of our aquatic heritage).

But back to athletes... not only do they suffer more than their fair share of heart attacks, but because their high level of physical activity depletes their magnesium reserves, they tend to become chronically magnesium deficient... which leads to former athletes being over represented among sufferers of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (who invariably show low levels of cellular magnesium).

This, together with an insufficiency of vitamin D (due to a lack of exposure to sunlight) is the cause of many of the diseases of modern western society.

Dr. Chad prescribes a course of 'sun, sea and...'

I'm sure there's something missing there... oh yes... magnesium deficiency leads to a reduction in libido.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

The poor buggers are chronically deficient in some salt or other, which they temporarily correct transdermally by immersion in the mineral rich waters... Our skins are particularly suited to this method of acquisition (a legacy of our aquatic heritage).

From Das Buch:

Wormwood thrives on roadside verges and the Romans reputedly planted it for footsore soldiers to put in their sandals but this is no doubt the official version of a racier practice. Roman soldiers were certainly famous for their forced marches but wormwood in their sandals is less likely to be the cause than wormwood in their drink-containers.

Or perhaps not. There is after all an entirely different means of drug delivery. It may be that the psychoactive substance in wormwood can suffuse through the sweaty skin of the sandalled foot, just as the laurel wreath relayed its message direct to the brain via the temples. In the Eleusinian Mysteries the head was presumably nicked in order for the laurel to work better which would then be the origin of Jesus' crown of thorns
Mick Harper
Site Admin

On the subject of salt generally, some attention should be paid to the colossal intake of vitamin pills and other artificial trace element supplements. Everybody assumes these are at worst health-neutral ("the body just flushes them away") but I have to report my own experience which is that, when taken in the 'normal' ie prodigious quantities, they actually lead to deleterious mood changes.

AE-ists should note that a) this trace nutrient fad might well be connected to the low-salt intake fad because just to get a daily dose of Chad's phosphate, five Multivitamin tablets might be needed, and that b) because vitamins are 'good' and salt is 'bad' it is impossible to get society to explore the notion that vitamins should be restricted but salt should be encouraged.
Edwin

"Salt is bad "is a very serious myth when parents are accused of poisoning their children by force-feeding them salt. This seems to be one of the worst medical, forensic, scenarios because nobody explains how you force a young child to eat salt.

See children frolicking in the sea all day and ingesting large amounts of sea water. See the consumption of salt water to bring on vomiting which may be dangerous in itself but there certainly isn't any salt poisoning so the child can't be poisoned by being made to drink it.

What is so bad is that child abuse accusations can be based on false premises from previous cases even when those cases have been shown to be miscarriages of justice.

Off-topic but the whole Munchhausen by Proxy thing should be dropped and the injustice of not reuniting innocent parents with their children should be remedied.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I've rather gone the other way (if I understand your last point correctly). These mothers that keep getting let out of jail because some mad doctor has a theory strike me as rather scary. We have reached the AE position that society basically now believes that middle class mothers (ie the ones that don't get social workers involved) are incapable of harming their children.

Look at it this way: statisitically there should be twenty-eight point seven four middle class women in jail for harming their children but there are in fact none. I have made up both statistics but you get my drift.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Middle class mothers don't have to take any notice of their children. They have au pairs, nannies etc. to do the work.
Edwin

Mothers are or have been in prison because of the theories of Doctors and separated from their children even though innocent. Their class is irrelevant. Just look up Roy Meadows or do a bit of remembering.

Actually name one mad doctor or theory that has had any of these parents released from prison.
Chad

Hatty wrote:
Middle class mothers don't have to take any notice of their children. They have au pairs, nannies...

Bloody hell, au pairs and nannies.

You have pretty tough acceptance criteria down your way.... Up here you just need a rough idea where to pronounce your aitches to become middle class.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Look, Roy Meadows was railroaded too. The point about AE is that we don't take sides. Neither you nor I know whether he was correct or not. In judicial terms (and in actuality if it comes to that) Meadows might have been wrong but the denouncing of him was just as absurd as the former lionising of him.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 4

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in