MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
CABINET OF CURIOSITIES (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 176, 177, 178  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

According to the Guardian's recommendations for young people's activities this summer, the top attraction is a Civil War re-enactment at the Eden Project between The Levellers and The New Model Army. It is good to see the youth being weaned off their endless round of popular music festivals though one is slightly anxious that political correctness will dictate a win for the Levellers.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Too bad it never happened, so it can't be reenacted.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

On further inspection it turned out be a rock festival after all. These are the names of the two headlining acts. Such is the dominance of a) left wing assumptions and b) ignorance of British history, that neither the venue nor presumably the bands themselves see any irony in the juxtaposition.

Ishmael, how do you account for the thousands of extant books and pamphlets recording the existence of these two bodies?
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Mick, you might not have realized it but festivals are for knowingly ironic old folks as well. (these days)

Levellers were big in early 1990s....lead singer well into 50s....
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I don't doubt that (I looked them up). Clearly New Model Army is ironic a là New Order, Spandau Ballet etc. What I found interesting is that the irony is now so stretched that nobody notices these occasional serendipitous conjoinings.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I am trying to get hold of some bitcoins (or other cryptocurrencies) for purchases which seem to accept no other. A sign of the times. Does anyone have any they will sell me (if such a thing is possible) and/or does anyone know how I can get hold of any from a commercial source that does not require you to upload images of my driving licence, or some other form of personal ID that happens to be beyond my technical reach, before they will sell me any.

I had no idea that the new convenient way-to-pay was so unbelievably inconvenient.
Ishmael

Mick Harper wrote:
Ishmael, how do you account for the thousands of extant books and pamphlets recording the existence of these two bodies?

Oh man! THAT is the biggest shock of all!!!! I've been trying to set you all up for it by revealing the truth slowly. But I never get round to making the follow up postings.
Ishmael

I also don't quite know how to present the truth without it seeming beyond all reasonable belief.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

So no change there.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

My Bitcoin travails are only one of several recent instances of me not being able to carry out apparently straightforward cybertasks. I cannot tell whether it is me or the cyberworld that is at fault. Take the current one and you be the judge.

On May 25th new privacy laws take effect in Britain and everybody is having to make various minor adjustments. My email provider, AOL, has written to me to say that I either sign up to the new privacy terms or I get chucked off AOL. Since this would be majorly disastrous I am, of course, anxious to tick the box. AOL won't let me. The email says Start the process here but when I do it just asks me to sign in again, (though I am already signed in) and when I do, it takes me back to the AOL main page. That's it. Nothing to say what I do next. I have spent several days trying everything I can think of (including wading through the new privacy conditions) but nowhere does it say Do You Agree? .

Still, I've got two whole days to solve the riddle before I lose my e-mail services.
Ishmael

Why is anyone still on AOL?
Wile E. Coyote

I had one old Aol email account, password reset, I was through......
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Why is anyone still on AOL?

Well, Ishmael, I have been communing with you via e-mail for fifteen years and in that time you have changed your address on multiple occasions and been unreachable for numberless reasons causing immense inconvenience to me. That would be one reason. AOL's technical shortcomings, like those of the British fleet at Jutland, are manifold but pale into insignificance compared to always being there.

I had one old Aol email account, password reset, I was through......

This is not helpful, Coyote. Try to do what very few cybersmartypants (e.g. Ishmael) are able to do and try to be helpful rather than a cybersmartypants.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I know how anxious you all are so let me say straightaway that I am still on AOL. I feel like that day after the Mayan Calendar said we're all toast -- though not like the day after the Millennium Bug which I only half believed in. After Ishmael's diatribe I have followed my hero's advice and set up a gmail account. I'm not happy but I am connected, as Princess Margaret used to say.
Wile E. Coyote

Mick Harper wrote:
I know how anxious you all are so let me say straightaway that I am still on AOL. I feel like that day after the Mayan Calendar said we're all toast --

Actually the Maya were not saying we were toast, the end of a cycle always leads to the start of a new cycle. It is only died in the wool linear thinkers that worry about the so called end of time etc etc etc. I was always confident that a new improved version of MH would arrive.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 176, 177, 178  Next

Jump to:  
Page 29 of 178

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in