MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
CABINET OF CURIOSITIES (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 176, 177, 178  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

A new concept:
AEL's biggest barrier is the Academic Apes.

The Cassandra Effect describes the tendency of academia
to reject any academic-like work from outside academia
and that the more "academic" the contribution, the more
strongly it is rejected and attacked.
This paper explores the implications of the Cassandra Effect
and examines the likely reasons for the rejection of, and
attacks on, academic outsiders. It proposes a hypothesis to
explain the origins and causation of this Cassandra Effect
based on the concept of the "Academic ape": a primitive
instinctual response by academia when its perceived
intellectual territory is threatened which over-rides intellect
and reasoning

http://scottishsceptic.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/The-Academic-Ape.pdf
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Wonderful!
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

I have read it too and found it equally brilliant. It has confirmed me in my intention to use humour and other non-academic devices when writing books attacking academics even though this gives them another reason to dismiss me. At least they are not vicious when doing so. Hatty has pointed out that the co-author Lirpa Loofouy is You Fool April backwards but the main and presumably sole author, Mike Haseler, is worth cultivating.

PS He has written a paper about St Patrick's birthplace. I wonder if it is worth disillusioning him.
Ishmael

I have shared the first two chapters of our book now (The Weather Underground) with about six test readers---some of whom do not know me from Adam. I have received reports of readers laughing out loud as they read it. This, to me, is the greatest praise I could have received. I believe it absolutely essential that our work be fun to read!

There is nothing more difficult than making a reader laugh aloud. And nothing that will keep them more engaged with the text than humor. I might also add that there is nothing that better-establishes the intelligence of an author.

These reports have been encouraging. Nevertheless, I have made little progress on the text for the past three, almost four months. The loss of my job proved a most severe setback. Sadly, I as yet remain unemployed.

Nevertheless, today I began finally to turn things around. Today I have written---so far---three new pages.

It has taken me a mere five hours.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

That is reasonable for three new pages so long as you spend another five hours on the same three pages taking out the jokes and inserting better ones. Then you can start on the second draft of those pages which should be a complete re-write but with what you want to say now firmly in your head.. That should break the back of those three pages ready for polishing (and deleting). Think 'Forth Bridge'.
Boreades

Mick Harper wrote:
Mike Haseler, is worth cultivating.

He is also the author of the Mons Graupius site
https://mons-graupius.co.uk/

You might also enjoy some of his historical articles
e.g.
The Scots are not Kelts
https://mons-graupius.co.uk/index.php/other-roman-material/9-the-scots-are-not-kelts

Or his linguistics articles.
e.g.
Druid is Celtic? Are you on drugs!
https://mons-graupius.co.uk/index.php/linguistic/73-druid-is-celtic-are-you-on-drugs
Ishmael

Mick Harper wrote:
That is reasonable for three new pages so long as you spend another five hours on the same three pages taking out the jokes and inserting better ones. Then you can start on the second draft of those pages which should be a complete re-write but with what you want to say now firmly in your head.. That should break the back of those three pages ready for polishing (and deleting). Think 'Forth Bridge'.

You have described my process, precisely.
Boreades

Endangered species (English surnames)

Ancestry.co.uk says

Since 1901, about 200,000 names have disappeared altogether from England and Wales, according to a study conducted by Ancestry.co.uk. These include

Chips
Hatman
Temples
Raynott
Woodbead
Nithercott
Rummage
Southwark
Harred
Jarsdel

Hundreds of other English surnames are “endangered” — so rare that fewer than 50 people in England and Wales have them — and many more may be extinct within a couple more generations. These include

Pober
Mirren
Febland
Nighy
Grader
Bonneville
Gruger
Carla
Fernard
Portendorfer

Actress Helen Mirren, whose name is on that list, was born with the last name Mironoff, which her Russian father Anglicized to Mirren. Actors Hugh Bonneville and Bill Nighy also have endangered surnames.

Names that are dying out the fastest these days, as compared to the 1901 UK census, include the surname William, which in 1901 was the 374th-most common surname. In that year, one in every 1,000 people had the surname William; now, not 1 in 50,000 people in the UK does, a 97 percent decreased in prevalence. Other names dying out in the UK include:

Cohen (-42%)
Ashworth (-39%)
Sutcliffe (-36%)
Clegg (-34%)
Butterworth (-34%)
Crowther (-34%)
Kershaw (-34%)
Brook (-34%)
Greenwood (-32%)
Haigh (-31%)
Pratt (-31%)
Nuttal (-30%)
Ingham (-30%)
Ogden (-30%)

https://blogs.ancestry.co.uk/cm/10-rare-english-surnames-about-to-go-extinct/

Eh oop lad, they just don't make them like they used to.

But why?
Boreades

This is still nagging at me. Why would minority surnames produce more daughters than sons? Or was it always the other way round? They got to be a minority because that surname acted like a species, and produced more daughters than sons. Fair enough, but if that is the case, why did that tend to happen within olde-worlde Midland and Northern working class names?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

One mechanism that has been particularly prevalent during the twentieth century (and absent for earlier centuries) is the rise in and tolerance for illegitimate children. I have observed among my women acquaintances that, no matter how stridently feminist they may be, they always take care to give the child the surname of the father even though refusing it for themselves (whether married or not). But I can't see how this helps unless there is some kind of asymmetry at work and women in such positions vary their behaviour when weird surnames are involved.
Boreades

Clutching at hypothetical straws:

Maybe the named names, of traditional Midland and Northern working-class stock, are more likely to have emigrated to the colonies. In search of a better working life. Especially the menfolk.

I didn't notice Cornish names on the list, but it would sort-of fit the same hypothesis?

The Cornish economy profited from the miners’ work abroad. Some men sent back “home pay”, which helped to keep their families out of the workhouse.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornish_diaspora

Except those that stayed at home would tend to be the females, and tend to change their names over time.

Anyone seen any mentions of a "Northern diaspora"?
Boreades

Boreades wrote:
Clutching at hypothetical straws:

Oh, damn, I've just realised I've broken one of the House Rules.

No Appeal to the Hypothetical.

Sorry, I'll get my coat.
Ishmael

All these rules can be violated in the early states of thinking a problem through. As the research advances, you want your ideas to coalesce around a thesis that conforms to the rules as much as possible. The thesis is flawed in so far as it deviates.

But don't worry too much about those rules when you first begin to solve a problem. They aren't intended to be paralyzing.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

They say all publicity is good publicity

Volkswagen has overtaken Toyota as the world's largest auto-maker (BBC)
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Ishmael wrote:
All these rules can be violated in the early states of thinking a problem through. As the research advances, you want your ideas to coalesce around a thesis that conforms to the rules as much as possible. The thesis is flawed in so far as it deviates.

But don't worry too much about those rules when you first begin to solve a problem. They aren't intended to be paralyzing.

First of all you must understand the rules, then you can break the rules.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 176, 177, 178  Next

Jump to:  
Page 24 of 178

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in