MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
CABINET OF CURIOSITIES (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 138, 139, 140 ... 176, 177, 178  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

I forgot to mention -- I thought you might be getting bored with the saga -- that Virgin did finally resolve the problem

Hello,
You have asked us to keep you up to date on the problem which is affecting your Telephone and TV service(s).
This problem has now been fixed.

The Virgin Media Team

I was reminded I really should right this minor wrong to my esteemed telephone, television and internet supplier when they wrote to me this morning

Hello,
You have asked us to keep you up to date on the problem which is affecting your Telephone and TV service(s).
The latest update is: We have identified the problem and an engineer is on their way. We now expect to have this
resolved by 2022-12-05T20:00:00

The Virgin Media Team
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Those of you who live in the good ol' AED can now buy Revisionist Historiography in your own currency!

Buy new: AED 157.69 Import fees Deposit Included Select delivery location
AED 26.01 delivery December 22 - January 1. Details Usually ships within 13 days.
US imports may differ from local products. Additional terms apply. Learn More.
Qty:1 Add to Cart Buy Now Ships from Amazon US Sold by Amazon US

Could you let the author know where the AED is so he can open a fanclub there?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

It’s All So Predictable Dept

Come on, hands up, who remembers Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass? You know, the pop/Latin/jazz instrumentalists who released 13 albums in the sixties, twelve of which went gold. 'Course you do -- in 1966, they outsold the Beatles. But do you remember that

* Herb Alpert emigrated from Eastern Europe; his mother from Hungary, his father from Kiev.
* Although four band members were Italian-Americans, none could properly be called Latino.
* Their great hits (El Presidente, Adios Mi Corazon, El Garbanzo, Lonely Bull, Mexican Road Race, Cantina Blue) were composed by Solomon Lachoff.
* With all that dosh Herb Alpert co-founded A&M Records and could at last begin signing up real Latino artistes. You must remember them: Cat Stevens, Joe Cocker, Procol Harum, the Police.

Aye, pet, they dinna make 'em like tha' the noo. (Sorry, I can't do a Mexican accent. Or indeed any accent. Unlike my niece, who reports that saying "one hundo" -- see the TV thread -- in a Scottish accent is going down a storm in Bristol. Look out for it where you live.)
Mick Harper
Site Admin

An interesting development here https://indubitablyodin.medium.com/an-uncensored-library-created-in-minecraft-defies-authoritarianism-a145cfd08846

Basically they've inserted an uncensored library into the game of Minecraft on the assumption that people living under authoritarian governments might be allowed to play Minecraft even though the state has closed down access to other sources of information. This strikes me as an extremely forlorn hope but cutting its citizens off from playing Minecraft might do some beneficial harm to censorious regimes.

This particular exercise looks to be excessively liberal and excessively small scale but mighty oaks might grow from the idea.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Mick Harper wrote:
It’s All So Predictable Dept

Come on, hands up, who remembers Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass? You know, the pop/Latin/jazz instrumentalists who released 13 albums in the sixties, twelve of which went gold. 'Course you do -- in 1966, they outsold the Beatles. But do you remember that

Wiley has posted about his love for Herb before. Herb's genius was to merge his trumpet and brilliant session players with whatever was the musical fad of the day, you gotta love the way he plays over this sly funky bass, it's heavenly. It's just that Herb doesn't really go any further with it? For 2 minutes it's funktastic but by 2.15 you are hoping that this is not the extended remix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYazYNfEzyg

Hugh Masekela had the same problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqinyMucPCg
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I promised myself that once the book was successfully on the stocks and we were out of the world cup I'd give the flat a really good tidy. I didn't say which world cup, did I?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Omen Corner

How many sausages are there in a pack of Twelve Tesco Finest Chipolatas? Good, well done, I'm starting you off with an easy one today. Second question: when someone gets thirteen just before Christmas and The Dark One is supposed to reveal himself before a Christmas in the twenty-first century according to an ancient Aztec prophecy, what should he -- it probably will be a he -- do about it?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

The Orion capsule successfully splashed down in the Pacific and means the aim of putting a permanent crew on the Moon by 2024 is on schedule. The team, according to NASA, will include at least one woman and a person of colour. Al-Jazeera

I'm not convinced that a mestizo Moon population is the way to go. Sure, it's gratifyingly aspirational in the short term but we can be fairly confident that most of the. follow-up colonisers will be Chinese and they tend to be a bit short-shrift on such matters.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

When you're forced to buy a new mouse mat and it comes with one of these trendy foam wrist-rests at one end and you find this a total nuisance since you've become accustomed to not using one for the lifetime of a mouse mat (ten to fifteen years) try doing what I did after several days of vexatious discomfort. Turn the mouse mat through 180 degrees and, presto, the foam wrist-rest becomes an unnecessary but at least not bothersome guard against pushing your mouse too far in that direction. I'll make a YouTube showing you how to do this if asked.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

When bringing out a book the normal drill is to send out review copies to media and 'influencers'. In fact it is the only major expense in these days of "print yer book for free, squire?" (The five years writing the wretched thing comes for free as well.) However, when bringing out a book that is aimed solely at the academic market, and aimed squarely at dishing the academic market, there isn't any media to speak of and there aren't many influencers either.

So one is reduced to sending it to the people blackguarded in the book and hoping they over-react. But here's the thing. It's cheaper to send them an Amazon 'present' (of the book with a well-chosen message in less than three hundred characters) than buy copies yourself and start sending them out with wheedling letters.

All was going well until it came time to send a copy to the Institut et Musée Voltaire in Geneva a.k.a. Les Delices, Voltaire's town house in exile during the eighteenth century and where Theodore Besterman pursued his criminal enterprises in the twentieth. I've sent books from France, Germany, Spain, Italy and America to more countries than FIFA can bribe but suddenly nobody would touch a book going to Switzerland. Where, I might remind you, FIFA is headquartered.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

What a state the state's in! No trains, no post, nurses piling up in the streets. What this country needs is a national holiday to put a smile back on its face. Make it two days to show it's special. We could all buy presents for one another to give the economy a boost. It's win-win.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

I see de Hamel has published a follow up book The Posthumous Papers Of The Manuscripts Club, according to the blurb it's about folks' fascination with collecting manuscripts and touches on a keeper at a British museum as well as a Greek forger. What a great idea, where did he get it from?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Chapter One I could never have been a monk. Everything about monasticism is alien to my world, including the obvious, and yet any time I have spent as a guest at a monastery thousands of years old, I have found myself wondering how anyone would live any other way.

Leaving aside what the obvious is (medieval monks wanted for nothing) and leaving aside he has spent his whole adult life as a monk manqué, de Hamel must know there are no monasteries 'thousands of years old' even on the orthodox time scale. On to paragraph two!
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Dangerous, From Tesco

Doesn't look dangerous does it? Here's how the scam works. You wouldn't be allowed to sit on your sofa watching telly with eight Kitcats, would you? You would be allowed to have a packet of Tesco biscuits to idly pick at, right? Well, this contains eight nicely wrapped two-bar Kitcats. Did contain.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I decided to change my keyboard on account I couldn't make out which key is which due to a decade of hammering on them and decided, quite unlike me, to treat myself to a top o' the line Logitech Signature. After the usual bafflement of not being told how to install it (e.g. you had to guess there would be a little white strip of paper on the back you had to pull out to get it started) I find they have changed the keyboard layout so I no longer know which letter is which.

Fortunately I am (however theoretically) a touch typist so I ignore what Logitech says is, say, the A key and press the Q key instead. Much as I did before really, using an educated guess. It's an AZERTY keyboard not a QWERTY one. When did it change and why didn't Amazon warn me or offer me a standard layout?
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 138, 139, 140 ... 176, 177, 178  Next

Jump to:  
Page 139 of 178

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in