MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
CABINET OF CURIOSITIES (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 113, 114, 115 ... 176, 177, 178  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Here's the problem. As reported previously, I've run out of sweeteners. How to get a new supply? I forgot to get any last Saturday and by the time I go again, next Saturday, I will have forgotten. Again. It's no use putting it on a shopping list because my shopping expeditions are such well-oiled machines I don't need one. A shopping list of one means I'll have to remember to look at the shopping list in which case I wouldn't need the shopping list.

My CO2 canisters are running low so that will solve the problem eventually (it's a mega-Sainsbury/Argos trip and sweeteners are built into that) but it means my nerves are in shreds every time I use my Sodastream. Hoping there's enough left for fizzy drinks but also hoping there isn't because of the sweetener situation. Like wanting Arsenal to win because I'm a fan and wanting them to lose to hasten Arteta on his way.

But, please, don't start worrying on my behalf, there's no point in us all suffering. Perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned it but I thought a problem shared is a problem halved.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

The Applied Epistemology Project @ UNC
Welcome to the website of the Applied Epistemology Project, a new project from the UNC Department of Philosophy and the UNC Philosophy, Politics & Economics program.. The project, which will begin in 2022, aims to promote and contribute toward producing outstanding scholarship that applies the questions and tools of epistemology to issues of pressing public concern across domains such as ... https://tarheels.live/appliedepist/

...such as The Applied Epistemology Library? Somehow I doubt it.

Critical Thinking as Applied Epistemology: Relocating ...
Applied Epistemology 93 mative ethics to illuminate or even resolve issues of contemporary moral debate such as abortion and the allocation of scarce medical resources. But while this was the intent of applied ethics, in practice the in­ adequacy of many traditional moral theories and the difficulties in their interpretation has
https://informallogic.ca/index.php/informal_logic/article/download/2623/2064

has led us back to tired old philosophical chat.

Applied Epistemology - Google Books
Applied epistemology brings the tools of contemporary epistemology to bear on particular issues of social concern. While the field of social epistemology has flourished in recent years, there has been far less work on how theories of knowledge, justification, and evidence may be applied to concrete questions, especially those of ethical and political significance.
https://books.google.com/books/about/Applied_Epistemology.html?id=sxYoEAAAQBAJ

Good, good. Why not start with your own ethical and political beliefs? But of course you don't think of those as beliefs, do you?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

This Week's Topology-for-Cooks Competition

What is the optimal number of cuts required to heat up a naan in a toaster? Only straight lines may be employed and standard equipment should be assumed i.e. Pataks, Breville twin.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

This Week's Dropped Pill Story

I dropped a pill this morning. Nothing new in that, as you know. I couldn't find it. Nothing new in that either. What was new was the reason I couldn't find it. It had ended up on edge. I've been dropping pills, man and boy for [...] years, and this is the first time it's happened to me. But for all I know it may be quite common and I've just been lucky.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In An Unreliable History of the Second World War I was rather proud to have done some real, down among the archives, historical research when writing the Iranian chapter. I consulted the actual British foreign policy documentation. And quite revelatory it was too. So I was encouraged when academia.edu sent me an 'M J Harper is cited in the following paper' and it turned out to be

Representations of Iran in British documentary, 1920s-2006 by Sara Ganjaei ..., no. 2, pp. 145-163. Halliday, F. (1996) Islam and the myth of confrontation, London: I.B. Tauris...

Yes, that sounds right, do go on

Harper, M.J. (1996) 'The poetics and politics of Delacroix's representations of the harem in women of Algiers

I think that must have been for something I did earlier. I’m a fairly broad church but I can't remember for the life of me what it was all about now.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

This Week's Woke Quiz

From internal evidence, and using your knowledge of medium.com, identify anybody who is a) female b) black c) both

KNOW YOUR HISTORY
Diggs Was More Than W.E.B. DuBois’s Assistant
Mick Harper
Site Admin

My personal algorithm continues to make strange bedfellows

You read the paper Secrecy and the Hermeneutic Potential in Beowulf (PMLA, 2018). A related paper is available on Academia.
Book Review: Constantinople: History, Topography, Religion (Albrecht Berger) – By Li Qiang

which reminds me, Guardian Soulmates haven't been in touch lately.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

M.J. Harper Goodreads Author Member Since June 2021

I thought it was earlier. Not that I knew I was a member. It turned out I wasn't.

M. J. Harper is the pen name for Cursed Truths author Tyrone L. Williams (aka Atsie Newt) and the development team at Eschaton 7. The M. J. Harper moniker is integral to the plot of Cursed Truths, teasing a mystery element that has repercussions as the series unfolds. Begin your journey to discovering who M. J. Harper is with Cursed Truths: Blood of a Guardian.

I'm signing up for that. I've often wondered whether mum's story about me being left by gypsies was true.

Cursed Truths was created by Cynthia Ann Strachan, Katrina Easley, and Tyrone L. Williams. Merging mythology with technology, Truths is an urban fantasy thriller series containing mature themes - reader discretion is advised.

That did it. I'm not having my name associated with that kind of thing. I was straight onto my lawyers to issue a cease-and-desist. Then this caught me eye

Happy Shopper
5.0 out of 5 stars Keeps you on edge of seat. Really entertaining.
Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 31 August 2021
Diana
5.0 out of 5 stars Action Packed. A must read.
Reviewed in the United States on 13 July 2021
Nicole Pringle
5.0 out of 5 stars Loved the journey this book takes you on!
Can't wait to see how the story continues...
Reviewed in the United States on 14 July 2021
Michelle
5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read By The Pool!
Reviewed in the United States on 2 July 2021

I've told the lawyers to hang five until my Cursed Truth Volume II, Crud from the Guardian comes out. Of course they'll be on to their lawyers but they haven't got a prayer. I've got a birth certificate showing I really am M J Harper. Unless mum was telling the truth...
Mick Harper
Site Admin

"Your Algorithm Is Calling You-o-o"

DESIGNING THE DIVINE: A PERCEPTUAL ANALYSIS OF THE TEILO/CHAD GOSPELS AT THE LICHFIELD CATHEDRAL LIBRARY Haley Luster

With a name like that and so fresh-faced and all, I'm deciding whether to get in touch with news that the Gospels are fake. Probably not, she seems a bit young to have me blundering into her life.

Mick Harper
Site Admin

My initial plan of campaign, to send Ms Luster a copy of Meetings with Remarkable Forgeries followed by a personal visit has been stymied. I couldn't make it up the stairs to post it off. I'd have to wait for the meals-on-wheels lady so this will have to do instead. Once Google has alerted her she'll buy the book and come and visit me.

The illuminated manuscript catalogued as MS Lich 1 at the Lichfield Cathedral library is an exemplary representation of Insular artwork with an exceptionally rich mythos derived from its intriguing features and mysterious provenance.

This is promising. It has no provenance but at least Haley is ahead of her professional colleagues in calling it 'mysterious'. I've been studying this gospel book for a very long time and I've never come across anyone who thought its provenance was anything but 'as reported'. I like the cut of her jib.

Despite this, scholarship in response to this particular gospel book is sparse and effectively overshadowed by its more famous contemporaries, such as the Lindisfarne Gospels and the Book of Kells.

I'm not sure her Welsh colleagues would agree with her but she has unerringly picked out the three national biggies: one for the English, one for the Welsh and one for the Irish. It's as if they knew.

This analysis presents MS Lich 1 as an adaptable and dynamic object that has remained functional and relevant for over twelve-hundred years, exploring its formal qualities in terms of both spiritual significance and practical utility.

We-e-ell, it's a Gospel Book. You know: Mathew, Mark, Luke and John. Christianity 1.0. If it had any utility it would surely have been in daily use so the next sentence poses a bit of a problem

This investigation ultimately identifies how the physical appearance of the manuscript relates to both the historical record

You see (a) if it was used as a gospel book from c 800 AD onwards it certainly wouldn't be in its present condition. It wouldn't have lasted twelve decades never mind twelve centuries. Oh yes, and (b) it does not have a historical record.

and principles of visual cognition, consequently commenting on the Insular artist’s keen awareness of perceptual processes as well as humankind’s reliance on creating and experiencing formalized aesthetic systems.

The usual rub. Anybody with a firm hand and some low level artistic skills could have produced the Lichfield Gospels at any time in the last twelve hundred years.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Here is something both interesting and useful, an unusual combination. I'm a very great authority on packaged sliced meat so, doing my monthly Sodastream refill trip to Argos-at-Sainsbury, I swung past their (Sainsbury's) packaged slice meat section. I was regaled with Polish packaged sliced meats. They were at rock bottom prices (everything seemed to be a pound) and top quality (checked at home). Not quite the same as native equivalents but having a Polish girlfriend for many years meant they were native enough for me.

Normally these sorts of foreign exotica are more expensive than native equivalents and only bought by the relevant émigrés, so what's going on? Of course I understand that Poland might have lower production costs but how come it wasn't available when we were 'in'? If it was, they were keeping awfully quiet about it. My guess is that the CAP levels everything out.

No, I think this heralds the new 'buy it cheap from anywhere in the world' world the Brexiteers promised us.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

The Cycle of Life

Every week I attend a family Zoom quiz
I have to adjust my computer screen so my head is central on a Zoom screen
For six days I have difficulty reading from my computer screen which I put down to general wear and tear of advancing years
Then I realise it is because of the angle and adjust it back again ready for
Every week I attend a family Zoom quiz
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Attn: Harper, customzie your name on this shirts! Be unique Nancy NamePrints

I was thinking of doing just that. They seem quite dependable spelling names.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

My books have acquired an important new demographic

I'm Told I Have Dementia: What You Can Do
I'm Told I Have Dementia: What You Can Do, The Secret History Of The English Language | M.J. Harper... Order now; Toll Free 1-855-332-6213; https://frenchgoldcoins.info/I'm-Told-I-Have-Dementia:-What-You-Can-Do...-Who-You-Can-Turn-To...%7CALZHEIMER'S-DISEASE-SOCIETY
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I got a little pop-up saying my Microsoft Security was not turned on and just click on it to do so. Or words to that effect because the pop-up disappeared when I clicked on it. Just another layer of security I suppose. But a nuisance because I don't know whether it is on or off or whether it is important or not.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 113, 114, 115 ... 176, 177, 178  Next

Jump to:  
Page 114 of 178

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in