MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
CABINET OF CURIOSITIES (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 65, 66, 67 ... 177, 178, 179  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

The gasman cameth at the third attempt. He had no trouble finding a parking space this time. Though, he told me, the police had waived him past but stopped the bloke behind and were still giving him a grilling as our man sped off into the empty distance. Interesting à deux etiquette when letting him in, leading him down the stairs, showing him the meter etc.
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Mick Harper wrote:
Enough already with 'our brave doctors and nurses putting their lives on the line'. It's like the automatic 'our braves soldiers in harm's way'. It's what they signed up for. Just for starters it means there isn't a word left for the actual brave ones.

I'm inclined to the opinion that the really brave ones are the ones who don't get paid for it. Like AEL Admins ;-). Oh, and the RNLI volunteers, with that organisation entirely paid for out of public donation. Which I believe is a far greater measure of how brave the public thinks an organisation is. Granted that there's not much competition, unless or until people are asked to vote via their tax return.

Out of the tax you pay, please tell us what percentage you want spent on
Brave organisation 1 [.....%]
Brave organisation 2 [.....%]
Brave organisation 3 [.....%]
Brave organisation 4 [.....%]
Brave organisation 5 [.....%]
etc

Declaration of interest: Not just because of the Good Ship SS Boreades*, but also for being an RNLI Governor (Unpaid).

* for those in peril on the sea, but some say the skipper is more of a peril than the sea. Heave ho, me hearties!
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Sorry, Borry, but this won't do. Whether you're paid or not is irrelevant. Presumably RNLI people do it for the non-pecuniary kicks, which is the same thing. Altruistic they are not. If the public are to pay their taxes as per your scheme, they need to know how brave (in terms of pro rata dying on duty) that lifeboatmen actually are. Give us the figures and rank them. For sure taxpayers think they're brave, for sure they think they're brave, but an AELman wants to know whether they are brave. Are you brave enough to give us those figures?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Weird. I decided to go to far-off Sainsbury for a 'big shop'. It's nine a.m. Saturday morning. Bus comes along, completely empty. Picks up one passenger in seven stops i.e. non-stops, I got there in five rather than fifteen minutes. But they're queuing round the block when I get there. Bollocks to that. Off to my mini-Tesco. Walk right in. Everything normal except for arrows telling you which way you have to go. Forced to lug six bottles of fizzy water round with me the whole way. Bastard Boris Johnson. I bet he doesn't have to. Not that there is a Sainsbury near Downing Street, you have to go all the way to the Cromwell Road. No wonder they couldn't get anyone else to do his job.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Guardian Fact of the Week
Jerry Springer was born in Highgate tube station during a second world war German bombing raid

I think this must mean he's Jewish and his parents lived in Hampstead Garden Suburb above. I like to think so anyway.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Staring at the above quote, it tells us something about the generations. Surely second world war, German and bombing are somewhat superfluous. And yet I can imagine a younger person saying, "Bit silly, isn't it, taking a tube during an air raid?" I haven't bothered trying to reproduce their patois. The real trouble is that we got too much education, they don't get enough. I haven't bothered trying to make sense. Punchy. I've got an extended family who, whenever I try to make a serious point, go off into raptures about growing fruit and veg. The more I try to rein them in, the more fruit and veg we get. This is a direct quote: "Yesterday, the shoot of one radish emerged. Virtual self-sufficiency!" Yes, I know it's irony but I'm supposed to be the family ironist. I feel a bit left out, to be honest. There's no place for intellectuals during lockdowns. I wonder how they managed during the second world war against the Germans. Or, I suppose, against the British. It was a good deal worse that way round. Though growing your own fruit and veg made a lot more sense in both countries during the second world war between the Germans and the British (and others).
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Still staring at this page waiting for inspiration to kick in. Don't worry, I'll be off soon.

Though, he told me, the police had waived him past but stopped the bloke behind

One of the few times when both 'wave; and 'waive' would be appropriate. In fact I'm now worrying whether I haven't misused/mis-spelled wave/waive. And mis-spelled is giving me mild palpitations. Nope, that's done it! I shall now write my book. Thank you for your time. You've been a lovely audience. No, I'm really off this time. Also could be read two ways. English is such a wondrously expressive instrument. No, don't try to stop me, I really am going. I'm not going to say, "Wave me goodbye." Direct or indirect speech?
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Mick Harper wrote:
No, don't try to stop me, I really am going. I'm not going to say, "Wave me goodbye." Direct or indirect speech?

Harpo : have you got something you haven't told us about? Are you in the next bed to the PM? Or are you just planning for an early departure from this earthly realm?

I'm told that "Wave Me Goodbye" is popular at some funerals. Probably a long way north of Watford.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRt3AENQtBU

The top 10 “alternative” funeral songs:

1. Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life - Eric Idle / Monty Python
2. Cabaret - Liza Minnelli
3. Wish Me Luck As You Wave Me Goodbye - Gracie Fields
4. My Way - Sid Vicious
5. They’re Coming To Take Me Away, Ha-Haaa - Napoleon
6. Fame! I Want To Live Forever - The cast of Fame
7. We’ve Gotta Get Out Of This Place - The Animals
8. Going Underground - The Jam
9. Spirit In The Sky - Dr and The Medics
10. Enjoy Yourself, It’s Later Than You Think - The Specials

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/4352276/Monty-Python-classic-tops-list-of-best-funeral-songs.html
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Quick tip to ensure everyone keeps their distance: wear a Zorro mask.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

The gasman didn't cometh. Well he did but that has not stopped me getting three letters today -- two from the gasmen, one from my landlord -- threatening me with all sorts if I continue with my wilful refusal to provide parking spaces for their representatives. "Notting Hill/Genesis will commence legal action against you. This could result in you losing your home." But it's OK, they've made an appointment for some high-up to visit and finally sort everything/me out. Anytime between 10 am and 2 pm three days ago.

As I have mentioned before you have to be tactical in these situations. It's always best not to be on blacklists but if I try to get off this blacklist I won't be successful but I may get put on the troublemakers' blacklist for complaining. Two lists surely means the Algorithm List. I feel like Patrick McGoohan.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

With everyone staying at home computer speeds are slowing down. Come on, Virgin, surely it's time to dig up Ladbroke Grove again and make sure my computer spends hours a day offline for months on end which you deny is anything to do with you so you needn't pay any compensation but even if it is you're only going to give me back the money I paid for the lost hours and not for all the lost business. `If they only knew, my businesses run at a loss so I'd owe them.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Against my better judgement I rang the gas people to protest at being labelled a refusenik. As soon as it became clear that I was a serially wronged innocent man, the phone was slammed down on me. I then got an email about last Friday's Visitation. Apparently it went ahead. Apparently I had let him in myself! Apparently all the necessary works had been carried out already so he departed without registering on my mind.

This is not surprising. We get so many people checking the lights, the smoke alarms, the buzzers, for the flats, for the common parts, then back again to check the previous work, and then it starts all over again when some new set of regulations kicks in and everything has to be replaced. And we haven't even reached gas and electricity, meters and appliances. Oh, and before I forget, there's all the repairs. And the upgrades. I am half-expecting a visit from the Vice Squad after complaints from the neighbours. "It's all hours of the day and night. It ought not to be allowed."

But there is a serious point to all this. Social housing is now such a political football and hot potato that the nexus between rents and housing costs has been sundered completely. In classical economics rent is supposed to defray the cost of the housing and engenders, however imperfectly, a balance between demand and supply. In social housing economics, rent is supposed to defray the costs of being social housing. The actual housing is given to social landlords for free, originally by charity, then by the local council, now by the state. I don't mind, I'm the recipient of all this largesse. If I were a taxpayer, or even if I were someone trying to afford to rent somewhere in London, I probably would mind quite a lot. Unless I was a left-winger, they think there should be more of this!
Mick Harper
Site Admin

We changed the AEL boffin recently -- the last bloke, a Dutchman called Keimpe was far too cheap, in fact free -- and the changeover resulted in a few glitches. The new man complained that our software was designed by Babbage but things seem to have settled down now. Except for me. I spasmodically get notifications late, often by several hours. If it is just me I will accept it as a just punishment for being on AOL or my emails being intercepted by GCHQ but if anyone else is suffering would they sing out and I will take up our cases with GCHQ .... I mean the boffin. They would have intercepted the email appointing him in the first place so he works for GCHQ and will be able to fix it in a jiffy.

I'm mentioning GCHQ a lot so we get picked up by their name-recognition programs and they will start monitoring us. We need new members.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

By the way, some of you may not know this, but anything I write on this site may be used, verbatim or by paraphrase, by anyone when posting on social media. My name should not be mentioned however. You are free to pass it off as your own or by some general airy acknowledgement, as you prefer.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

It's been a long and winding road but I've finally made it to cult status in New Jersey. Little bit of respect round here, if you don't mind.

John W Kennedy@john_w_kennedy Replying to @TheRickWilson and @RichardSkipper

What about the anti-Stratfordians? And Fomenkoists? And the M J Harper cult?

3:48 PM · Feb 18, 2020 from Chatham, NJ·Twitter for iPhone
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 65, 66, 67 ... 177, 178, 179  Next

Jump to:  
Page 66 of 179

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in