MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
CABINET OF CURIOSITIES (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 176, 177, 178  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Mick Harper wrote:
I may have said this before but it's worth repeating on a monthly basis: Amazon has polished off the last lingering hopes about making any money out of writing.

Mick. You MUST start a YouTube channel! You will become famous.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Or I could become a serial killer. Fame is overrated.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

As the non-famous keep telling us.
N R Scott

In: Middlesbrough

Ishmael wrote:
Mick Harper wrote:
I may have said this before but it's worth repeating on a monthly basis: Amazon has polished off the last lingering hopes about making any money out of writing.

Mick. You MUST start a YouTube channel! You will become famous.

Agreed!!
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Maybe I should. My fan base is doubling by the day.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Our last office supplies shop has been converted into a Tuscan grocers. We are now, by most people's reckoning, the largest writers' colony in the world without a stationers. A sobering thought.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

My best ‘window on the world’ is when I power up my computer in the morning and for a few brief seconds my home page (I’ll tell you what that is later) gives me the leading story of the day. Usually it’s of the “Andrea Leadsom in love triangle”sort but occasionally it’s worth clicking on. “Man imprisoned for name he gave dogs” was one such. Now my local mps/baud rate means that I have a few seconds to speculate before the actual news story comes up and in this case I assumed he had named them Isis and Osama and been arrested for encouraging terrorism. As it happened it was some Chinese bloke and he had named them after the two local police forces but it shows the way this country is going that I could even make the error.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I've never been comfortable with bagels but now Warburtons are bringing them out I may give them another go. Plain or Cinnamon & Raisin does not set the pulse racing but you've got to start somewhere. If I don't report back it means I didn't bother.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I attended a funeral yesterday which featured six pallbearers all of whom were elderly 'rockers'. Younger readers should google the term. After the ceremony I offered to restage Camber Sands '64 (younger readers etc) figuring that one mod is equivalent to six rockers but they declined. Some things never change.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Guardian Literary Event of the Week

This week the award-winning South Korean novelist Han Kang...

Did what? Come on, wake those Saturday brain cells up and have a guess.

...dragged a white cloth through the Nordmarka forest in Norway, before wrapping it around a newly finished manuscript, which she handed over to be locked away for ninety-five years, as part of Katie Paterson's Future Library project which began in 2014 with the planting of a thousand Norwegian spruces. The manuscript will be stored in a specially designed room until 2114 when the trees will be used to print the text.

I don't know how and I don't know why but this brings to mind the fate of some of my own books.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Why does Dolly Parton's Coat of Many Colours reduce me to tears? It was just on the radio with nil effect, and I thought maybe the spell at last was broken, but Sarah Cox was talking over it. So I googled it just to check and the floodgates opened once more.

It's not the only reason I didn't get into the SAS but it certainly didn't help.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

So I bought all these Jersey Royal lookalikes and started scoffing them wholesale. Now I've run out of potatoes!
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Has anyone heard of 'Windows'? I keep getting messages that it is configuring my computer. Is it some kind of scam?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I'm not a great one for consumer durables but I do (now) have two exercise bikes. It's an odd feeling.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

So I was vaguely hanging around until Jersey Royals had come down to within my price range when they turn up on the Special Offers shelf at Tesco for 45p a bag. On the other hand they're not real Jersey Royals, despite what it says on the packet, they'd been washed. Rooted in the soil, that's why we Channel Islanders-in-exile seek them out. It can't be for the taste, that disappeared around 1980. But then as the popular saying has it, "Jersey: the island taste forgot."
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 176, 177, 178  Next

Jump to:  
Page 43 of 178

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in