MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
CABINET OF CURIOSITIES (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 176, 177, 178  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Only kidding. They're quite amusing, just not laugh-out-loud amusing.
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Boreades wrote:
#1 Boreadette took her turn to speak up in favour of Emma Thompson. Who cares so much about Climate Change and stopping people travelling by air, she flew 5,000 miles from LA to join in the protests.

I had the temerity to point out to the #1 Boreadette that some might say there is a teensy-weensy whiff of hypocrisy in flying a long way to protest about flying.

I was sternly corrected: Ah, but she flew First Class.

Huh?

If more people flew First Class, there would be far fewer less-privileged lower class people flying Cabin Class and causing pollution and carbon and plastic in the sea.

#1 Boreadette has just been on the phone to say "Told you so!".

Huh?

It seems Emma Thompson was *so* exhausted by the protest about flying that (after a short rest to recover) she did indeed have to fly First Class from Heathrow back to LA. That's £11,386 (one way) - but, to be fair, as a frequent flyer, she'll probably pay less than that, and collect a large wodge of Air Miles.

As a small compensation for the sheer stress of the cognitive dissonance she is forced to suffer, there was the First Class menu. M'Lady reckons the choice of the day was the Oak-smoked Gressingham duck (starter), with the Slow-roast Beef Carpaccio as a main course, followed by a delightful Tomme de Savoie.

I had to ask what that last one is. I was told, it's a semi-soft, pressed cheese with a pliable and firm texture. It has numerous irregular “eyes”spread throughout the ivory-coloured paste. The flavours are of grass, nuts and rusticity. Expect some tangy, slight citrus and mushroom notes underlined by odours of a cave.

All washed down by Laurent Perrier champagne.

M'Lady Boreades whole-heartedly approves of this, as it's very important for ordinary people to be told how to behave, while Special People make great personal sacrifices. Just this morning, I received a long list of things "we need to do, urgently". It's not the Royal We, it's the Privileged Personal / Higher Management We. Which means little me.

I know my place.
Boreades

Talking of long-haul catering, M'Lady Boreades is just back from attending the 2019 European Catering and Hospitality conference, with her full quota of duty-free wine (the tariff-free marketing "samples" will arrive later in a 40ft shipping container).

Much of the conference was on hot topics related to post-Brexit alternative supply chains and tariff-minimisation.

The funniest in-joke of the conference was something like "Where are Walkers going to get all their pototoes from?". But she didn't think much of the picture they then showed. She prefers Gary on MOTD with clothes on.

Mick Harper
Site Admin

That's not Gary Lineker's bottom. I used to play with him in the Hallamshire U-14's.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

You know when you buy a cheap ink cartridge and you get an error message and a voice says 'What you are doing is illegal and your details have been sent to the appropriate authorities'? Well, it's the same with coffee machines. If you buy capsules from other than the official suppliers, there's a sensor that makes the coffee come out cheap and foul-tasting. But I refuse to be cowed. I am not afraid of you, N*stle*.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In the interests of transparency, I made that up. Anything for a laugh, me. They are not only vastly cheaper but they come in many more variants (Intenso Napoletano, anyone?), seem to be of comparable quality and are delivered to your door by a pre-Brexit Eastern European. On a Sunday before a Bank Holiday! That won’t last.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Just returned from shopping to find a message on my answerphone that a [inaudible] arrest warrant has been issued in my name and I'm to contact my case worker by either pressing 1 or ringing this number... Is this a well known scam or have they finally caught up with me? Or is that what they want me to think? It can't be Nestlé, that would be a civil matter. I'm pretty sure of that. In fact I would have a good case for harassment against them. You forget, Mr Swiss Clean Hands, two can play at that little game.
Boreades

Mick Harper wrote:
a [inaudible] arrest warrant has been issued in my name ... Is this a well known scam or have they finally caught up with me? .

It is indeed a well-known scam. Variations include county-court orders, bailiffs, and car accidents. In the latter case, the automated-dialing script is boringly consistent.

"Hello (pause) - We hear you've been involved in a road traffic accident, is that right? (pause) " (and so on).

When they *do* catch-up with you, they won't bother phoning you first, they will be knocking on your front door. With a 25Kg sledgehammer and the heavy mob right behind. Playing with 14-year old bottoms is bound to get their attention sooner or later.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I hardly think a fourteen-year-old flicking a towel at another fourteen-year-old is a crime. Well, yes, today it would be, but not then. He may have grounds for issuing civil proceedings but does he really need the money? Does he really want it coming out in open court that he blubbed his little eyes out? And that was before we pulled an anal train on him.
Boreades

Mick Harper wrote:
I hardly think a fourteen-year-old flicking a towel at another fourteen-year-old is a crime. Well, yes, today it would be, but not then.

If I were you, I'd hurry-up and edit your posts and stick allegedly all over the place.

Mick Harper wrote:
He may have grounds for issuing civil proceedings but does he really need the money?

Don't forget he's got form.

David Beckham and Gary Lineker lose court bid to overturn £700million tax bill. Sports stars were among a host of celebrities who invested in the controversial Ingenious film schemes. Tax relief was claimed on artificial losses from hit movies. But Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs argued it was a form of aggressive tax avoidance. Tax tribunal judge Charles Hellier yesterday ruled they were not “allowable deductions”.

And he doesn't like people mentioning it.

The Sun has taken offline Saturday’s front-page story alleging football pundit Gary Lineker was involved in a tax-avoidance scheme after legal action. The paper has received a legal letter from Lineker over the front-page story. Mail Online has also taken down a story which followed up The Sun piece and repeated the same allegations. The Sun story, which Lineker denies, said: "Gary Lineker has been clobbered with a £1.3million bill after investing in controversial tax-break schemes."

https://www.pressgazette.co.uk/subject/gary-lineker/page/2/

He's also got a thing about "child abuse".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-37724333

And he's a Hacked Off backer and high profile supporter of Section 40 (along with Max Mosley, etc)

Mick Harper wrote:
Does he really want it coming out in open court that he blubbed his little eyes out? .

Why not? "Vulnerable victims" get loads of extra money for emotional trauma and distress.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I'd never have flicked that towel if I'd known.the national and international ramifications.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Just as I was celebrating a rare sale of a hardback THOBR (the paperback sells regularly, if once a month is your idea of regularity) I noticed that both new and used copies of Forgeries are now available for a penny. Not for long though, we're going to do a special promotion, three for the price of two.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

Unreliable History (used) is also at one penny though 95p for a new copy. If you buy Forgeries and Unreliable together from Amazon, you'll only be charged £22.90. Hurry while stocks last.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I may have said this before but it's worth repeating on a monthly basis: Amazon has polished off the last lingering hopes about making any money out of writing. In the good old days, if you wanted to read a book you either bought it new or you got it out of the library. Either way the author got something for his/her trouble.

You couldn't get it second hand. There might be zillions of second hand copies out there but you couldn't just walk into a second hand bookshop and buy it for a few pennies. Even in the unlikely event of it being in there the doddery old bloke behind the counter wouldn't have a clue where it was. No more! Doddery old Amazon will send you a copy by drone later this afternoon. Keep that window open!
Mick Harper
Site Admin

What with Trump over there and a looming Boris over here, it's time to dust off the war plans https://db0nus869y26v.cloudfront.net/en/War_Plan_Red
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 176, 177, 178  Next

Jump to:  
Page 42 of 178

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in