MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
CABINET OF CURIOSITIES (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 176, 177, 178  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boreades

In: finity and beyond

Mick Harper wrote:
What tips can you offer us aspiring prize-seekers?

Some might call you slow-witted, but it looks like you're gradually getting the message. Being old, white and straight wins no woke literary prizes these days. Even Ernest Hemingway and Dylan Thomas would have to adapt to the times. And cut-back on the booze.

Your best bet is to find a new niche of the trans-gender market. It looks like boxers and cleaners have already wiped one corner of that floor.

How about faking it as the youngest-ever trans-gender for the children's book awards? Or the Grauniad's oldest-ever trans-gender Notting Hill Carnival correspondent?

I didn't get where I am today without dressing up in my mum's clothes. You can borrow my lipstick if you like, but don't try moving into my village.
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Mick Harper wrote:
Every week the Guardian Review asks a writer to answer some standard questions. They've never asked me, they know I'd only refuse. This week it was Marcus Zusak. Yes, the Marcus Zusak.

The book that is overrated
Anything by Shakespeare.

I cannot tell you how my heart soared.

Yes. But you haven't read Shakespeare until you've read him in the original German.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

A lot of people wake up in the morning worrying that this might be the day their life will peak. The best thing to do in such circumstances is to assume the whole concept is absurd. Plus a cooked breakfast.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

This Week's Q & A

Q. Which currency was ordinarily used in China during the early twentieth century

A. Mexican dollars
Ishmael

Now that sounds like a mystery! Or maybe a clue.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Exactly! Thor Heyerdal was right. I wondered which one of you would spot it. Ishmael, your ban on saying anything sensible has been lifted.
Ishmael

First thing comes to mind: Mexico and China both have a Szechuan province -- in Mexico it's spelled Chihuahua (I spoke of this some years ago).
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Mick Harper wrote:
This Week's Q & A

Q. Which currency was ordinarily used in China during the early twentieth century

A. Mexican dollars

I doubt this. Posh coins (like silver) are used along important trade routes. These coins were not for ordinary use.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Spooky or What? Department

Groundhog Day is showing tonight on the Paramount Network Channel. And again tomorrow!
Mick Harper
Site Admin

A kind e-mailer let me know today that I had been observed masturbating -- something of a preoccupation for someone who likes al fresco sex but is too hideously old to guarantee anyone to have it with -- but it turned out to be addressed to Nathan Carmody, our publishing arm. He's on his own with this one.
Ishmael

OMG these posts are so great.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

But I still don't see how the scam works. Is this something people are particularly worried about? I didn't dare open the email to find out.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Roger Mellie, the Man on the Telly was apparently taken from this manuscript. Or vice versa, given what we know about the true age of many manuscripts.

Mick Harper
Site Admin

This got retweeted by Levi Roach https://twitter.com/drhingram/status/1118411175190986752 and is a discussion about how to get the creative juices going in the morning. The first thing to say is, "What a bunch of wimps." Their collective problem is that two principles are warring here: they understand that creativity does not come naturally to human beings but they are puritans and think it cheating to do anything about it. Well, I am here to tell them that doing something about it does come naturally to human beings. Unless you happen to be a puritan.

Or maybe they're not really into creativity in the first place. They wouldn't be academics very long if they were.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

From an air force exam

The king is visiting your aerodrome to inspect a new two-seat trainer and insists on being given a flight. You are chosen as pilot. His majesty demands you loop-the-loop but unfortunately falls out during its execution. What is your next action?
Answer: trim ailerons to compensate for the loss of weight.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 176, 177, 178  Next

Jump to:  
Page 39 of 178

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in