MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
CABINET OF CURIOSITIES (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 177, 178, 179  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ishmael

In: Toronto

Hatty wrote:
Shah is another version of tsar. I like to think, probably wrongly, that there's a connection with shaman, an Eveni word, in that the shaman could 'fly'.

Yes. It most certainly is. It's already on my lengthy list of Tsar (and ultimately, "Tzar") words.
Ishmael

Wile E. Coyote wrote:
Sar words

Wow! Impressive. I never knew about any of these words. Amazing!

/sarcasm.
Ishmael

Hatty wrote:
Torah, legal ruling on land/inheritance. Set in stone in some cases.

Taurus. Land to be ploughed or grazed per household is made official by law (cf. medieval papal bulls).

Great catches!

I think tsar is too similar to star to ignore the 'heavenly' aspect. Parcelling out zones of land is most efficient when bearing in mind the orientation and topography of the land?

Yes. I have wondered the same if the stars might not have been used to divide the world into zones of governance. Each earthly ruler then was associated with the earthly imprint and heavenly template for his domain.
Hatty
Site Admin

In: Berkshire

I have wondered the same if the stars might not have been used to divide the world into zones of governance. Each earthly ruler then was associated with the earthly imprint and heavenly template for his domain.

It could be phrased "as above so below" which has an air of divine rightness and a practical use in navigation and land surveying.

Land is divided into plots which stay permanent despite changes of ownership, except when Enclosure Acts and new towns come along. The word plot is of "unknown origin"; might it be connected to pilot who plots a course?

One of the book's reviewers has found an error -- he is adamant that pirate is a pyr- or fire-word and not related to 'pilot' as we said.
Hatty
Site Admin

Do you see a link between a table cloth and a map?
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Hatty wrote:

One of the book's reviewers has found an error -- he is adamant that pirate is a pyr- or fire-word and not related to 'pilot' as we said.

They are all fire words.

pi=hot/fire

pilot=hot foot.

Pilot=To travel hotfoot....speed.

"The pilot of an aircraft speeding through the air and the pilot of a watercraft plowing through the water both drag an etymological foot on the ground" Free Dictionary.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Mick Harper wrote:
Tarmo Huuskonen wrote:
Coyote is just making this up, to suit his own theory

I can never understand why this is regarded as an insult. Darwin made up Evolution to suit his own theory. Of course it is true that since there is no science in etymology, Coyote made up Severn=Sever on the same basis ('sounds like') that every other explanation for Severn has been put forward. At least with Coyote-plus-Harper we now have a function to go with the form.

But I have a feeling that etymologists would reject form-and-function explanations as unwarrantably interfering with their own total freedom to make anything up they want. Isn't that right, Sabrina?

Wiley knows his sixes from his sevens.

Severn/Sabrina=Seven/Sabbath.
Hatty
Site Admin

Wile E. Coyote wrote:
pilot=hot foot.

Pilot=To travel hotfoot....speed.

"The pilot of an aircraft speeding through the air and the pilot of a watercraft plowing through the water both drag an etymological foot on the ground" Free Dictionary.

Just read that Elizabeth carried a miniature of her secretary of State, Robert Cecil, in his later years on her shoe. This strange detail was given in the context of a hunting party at Wilton, the Pembrokes' estate in Wiltshire. If she embodied the ship of state (as well as Diana the huntress), Cecil was certainly its pilot. I'd have liked to have been told if it was the left or right shoe.

[Some Roman scholars included Diana in the list of alleged Sabine deities adopted by Romans; they also argued that augury and divination by dreams were Sabine customs so Sabines seem to have been regarded as both ancient and authoritative.]
Ishmael

The Salmon of Wisdom

"His brain was still recovering, but with (omega-3), it recovered much faster and in a shorter amount of time," Peter Ghassemi said. "His brain was damaged, and this was food for the brain."
-- Fish oil helped save our son
Ishmael

The Salmon of Mirth

Oil-rich cold-water fish like salmon, cod, and sardines, fish oil supplements, and some plant-based foods like walnuts contain omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids, which research on other mood disorders suggests have an antidepressant effect. We've known for quite a while that eating fish correlates negatively with major depressive disorder.
-- Fish Oil and a Lesson in Happiness From Iceland
Ishmael

Whales in the desert
GrouchoMarxthespot

This is the Cabinet of Curiosities. It's the one area where you can post up something odd and fascinating without commentary. It's a place to come to get inspired to think new thoughts.

I recently came across Paul Kammerer, and his theory of seriality, essentially, as far as I get it, a theory of unobserved coincidences in everyday life.

As a result I am midway through a card drawing experiment to investigate this, essentially an ordinary shuffle, followed by machine shuffle and then draw the top card. The law of large numbers should operate. However I want to find out if, below this law, some coincidence/seriality effect is at work. So far, (but only 400 draws so far, way too few I know - but v time consuming to do), roughly the expected number of numbers/suits/colours appearing, but also some very surprising clustering of suits that is much more than might be expected by chance, for example, a heart followed by heart, (which is 0.0625) has occurred about twice as often as might be expected. And not just series of two's, but three's and longer sequences of the same suit too, even though these are quite unlikely, ( a series of three hearts for example has a probability of 0.015), but has occurred much more often than this.

I will continue the experiment up to 1000 draws, but thoughts welcome:

Seriality?
Psychokinesis?
Does coincidence play a part in everyday life?
Does it even exist?
Ishmael

Fascinating.
Ishmael

Ready for a shock?

Camels Originated in the Canadian Arctic
Tilo Rebar

In: Sussex

Great find, Ishmael!

The Bactrian camel still lives in the remote mountainous regions of central Asia and seems able to stand some severe cold.

Telegraph have another article on this with more speculation about the genesis of species in the Arctic...

"...The giraffe, for example, enjoyed a clear evolutionary advantage in being able to keep its head above the deepest snow-drift.

The porcupine formerly caught fish by diving backwards into ice-holes and spearing them on its spines. The zebra's stripes resemble nothing so much as thin snow, blown over a black expanse of ice on the water..."

The Arctic secrets of the giraffe, and other animals.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/9912947/The-Arctic-secrets-of-the-giraffe-and-other-animals.html

Truth can sometimes be stranger than fiction???
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 177, 178, 179  Next

Jump to:  
Page 4 of 179

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in