MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
CABINET OF CURIOSITIES (NEW CONCEPTS)
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 175, 176, 177, 178, 179  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick Harper
Site Admin

In: London

Michael win a trip to the Olympic Games, thanks to Visa. T&Cs apply

I read quite a lot of this until it mentioned they were in Paris.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

From rebel girls to gone girls — the inception and aftermath of the Riot Grrrl movement Doggit magazine

My medium algorithm sent me this today. It's got my number, I thought, I'm a very enthusiastic member of the dogging community. Clicking on to the story I found it was a film review from Diggit magazine. So I read that instead.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Talking of which

Review: ‘The Iron Claw’ Hits Incredibly Hard
Sean Durkin’s biopic focused on the Von Erich brothers is restrained and deeply moving

A film about wrestling apparently but seriously intended, school of Raging Bull. I couldn't let this pass and responded airily

Why aren't there more wrestling siblings? It seems a natural enough thing. We had 'the grapple twins', Jacky Pallo and Mick McManus, in the long ago, but they were a regular tag-team and not related.

But now I'm worrying my memory has played me false. If I'm caught out with this one, I'm finished as a serious commentator on Medium. Can anyone confirm/deny?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Thames Water
Your bill and payment plan
We're changing your payment to £49.43
followed by nine monthly payments of £49.38
Please change the amount you pay from 15 April 2024

Any complaints? Seems all right for water in, sewage out. True but...

1. It's rather tricky paying one sum, then another sum in a standing order. I'd be prepared to pay five pee to avoid doing it.
2. What's so magical about ten monthly payments? Are they going to stop my water next March?
3. I may want to pay the whole shebang in one go. Please Mr Water, can I do that and if so how much will it be? You don't say anywhere in your six pages of telling me everything else I didn't need to know.
4. By the way, I'm not going to ask how you arrived at a figure that is £50 and £500 bar the shouting but it doesn't feel like it the way you've arranged things. I'm sure it's all carefully worked out down to the last drop of a toilet flush.
5. Nor am I going to ask why, in six pages, you haven't got round to telling me what I paid last year. I'm going out on a limb here but I bet it isn't less than last year.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Two important communications from my landlord. The first clears up a minor mystery I alluded to here and in a recent medium.com piece: who or what was the Mildmay referenced to by the Mildmay Line?

You may have seen in the last week that the various lines of the London Overground have been named – each celebrating part of London’s history. One of those lines, which runs from Stratford to Richmond via Clapham Junction, is now called the Mildmay line.

As well as being a piece of London’s history, it’s also part of ours. The name was chosen in honour of a small charitable hospital in Shoreditch – Mildmay Mission Hospital – which dates back to the 1860s. When we transformed that part of Shoreditch in the early-to-mid 2010s, with a new development of social and private homes across seven blocks, we also incorporated the Shoreditch Tabernacle Baptist Church and a brand new, purpose-built Mildmay Mission Hospital within the footprint of its historic predecessor.

I may not go on it but I'm part of it.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

The second one promised an opportunity to round out my earnings from Medium by employing my literary talents in my own home.

Are you a budding writer, photographer or vlogger?
If so, we want to hear from you. We’re looking for young residents to tell us about what your home and community mean to you. It’s a chance for you to get your voice heard and showcase your work at the same time.

They say you should write about what you know about. (Ignore 'young', they never check.) There shouldn't be much competition since any decent writer would be out of communal housing like a rocket. What's the dosh on offer, guys?

Anyone who enters a written piece, a photographic diary, video or blog will be entered into a prize draw to win a £50 voucher. To find out how to take part and what support we can offer in producing your entry, email [email protected].

A tad disappointing but not to be sniffed at.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

Mick Harper wrote:
Two important communications from my landlord. The first clears up a minor mystery I alluded to here and in a recent medium.com piece: who or what was the Mildmay referenced to by the Mildmay Line?

That don't solve it because you have to ask the question who the mission hospital was named after.

Newington Green's history is marked by several streets in the area taking their name from this period, such as King Henry's Walk, Boleyn Road (formerly Ann Boleyn's Walk), Wolsey Road and Queen Elizabeth's Walk. Many other thoroughfares are named after the Mildmay estate, including Mildmay Park, Mildmay Grove North and Mildmay Grove South. Sir Walter Mildmay was the Chancellor of the Exchequer under Elizabeth I. He was one of the special commissioners in the trial of Mary, Queen of Scots, and founded Emmanuel College, Cambridge in 1584.

Yes colourful but where did Sir Walter get his wealth from?

Walter's elder brother Sir Thomas Mildmay (d. 1566) of Moulsham, was auditor of the Court of Augmentations, established in 1537 for allocating the property taken by the Crown from the monasteries.

Aha. Sadiq and his Islamist friends are really celebrating the dissolution of the Christian Church. No wonder we are in such a mess.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

He's much more interesting than I thought. I was envisaging a Victorian philanthropist. Quaker, something like that. The founder of a Cambridge College, albeit a minor one, is a bigger deal than being Chancellor of the Exchequer, not a big deal in those days. I assume Mary jury service is middle management. What happened to Big Tom though? (Surely little Walter wouldn't get his money.)
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I have incorporated your material, Wiley, for today's Medium piece so it had better be right.

-------------

Who was Sir Walter Mildmay?

As one of Britain’s leading thinkers I have naturally been awarded a grace and favour apartment in one of London’s more fashionable areas. And don’t think for one moment I’m not grateful. If I have to occasionally bite the hand that feeds, that is only one of the many duties of a national heavyweight.

The people charged with making sure my accommodatory needs are met often send me emails about things that seem important to them. I tend to give these short shrift but two caught my attention recently and, since they pertain to les choses Medium, I thought I would bring them to yours.

The first email cleared up the origin of Mildmay as in ‘the Mildmay Line’, one of London’s newly christened minor railways I was telling you about a few days ago. I’m never afraid to be populist. This is what I was vouchsafed verbatim:

You may have seen in the last week that the various lines of the London Overground have been named — each celebrating part of London’s history. One of those lines, which runs from Stratford to Richmond via Clapham Junction, is now called the Mildmay line. As well as being a piece of London’s history, it’s also part of ours.

The name was chosen in honour of a small charitable hospital in Shoreditch — Mildmay Mission Hospital — which dates back to the 1860s. When we transformed that part of Shoreditch in the early-to-mid 2010s, with a new development of social and private homes across seven blocks, we also incorporated the Shoreditch Tabernacle Baptist Church and a brand new, purpose-built Mildmay Mission Hospital within the footprint of its historic predecessor.

I may never venture onto the Mildmay Line — Stratford, Clapham, one shudders — but I am proud now to be part of it. The historiographer in me would point out this solves nothing since it is who the Mildmay hospital was named after that matters. For those of you with an antiquarian bent, it was Sir Walter Mildmay, Chancellor of the Exchequer under Elizabeth the First, special commissioner in the trial of Mary, Queen of Scots and founder of Emmanuel College, Cambridge. Yes, that Sir Walter Mildmay.

The other email promised an opportunity to augment my not inconsiderable earnings from Medium. Not considerable either but that’s for another time.

Are you a budding writer, photographer or vlogger? If so, we want to hear from you. We’re looking for young residents to tell us about what your home and community mean to you. It’s a chance for you to get your voice heard and showcase your work at the same time.

They say you should write about what you know. It will certainly be a new departure for me. (I’m ignoring ‘young’, by the way, they never check.) Of course, money has never meant anything to me but just to satisfy your vulgar curiosity, this is the sort of ball park figure we’re looking at

Anyone who enters a written piece, a photographic diary, video or blog will be entered into a prize draw to win a £50 voucher. To find out how to take part and what support we can offer in producing your entry, email [email protected].

A tad disappointing but not to be sniffed at.

------------------

I'm not charging you for this.
Wile E. Coyote

In: Arizona

https://www.emma.cam.ac.uk/members/blog/?id=677

Unfortunately I might not be right (!)

It appears all the Mildmays were cheats traitors and cads and it appears they might have swindled the land out of a virtuous maiden called Anne Halliday?
Mick Harper
Site Admin

Hands up anyone who's heard of a croque madame? Apparently it's got an egg on top. What will they think of next.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I got this email from Medium this morning

Hello, I am writing in regards to your post on medium.com: We have determined that your post is in violation of our rules:

It was because of my response to this piece

Quiet Storm: Tracing the Body and Soul of R&B
Discussing the rise and fall of the smooth romance era of R&B music
https://medium.com/1ntune/quiet-storm-tracing-the-body-and-soul-of-r-b-03c456422a5f

which was
Mick Harper wrote:
Too many blacks, too many women. It'll never get anywhere.

My intention in posting this admittedly provocative remark was to point out, when challenged, that only DWEMs have the power to turn genres into musical movements. Quite interesting and quite PC. Instead I got from Medium, after a lot of similar huffing and puffing

We do not allow hateful text, images, symbols, or other content, including in your username, profile, or bio. It is now suspended. Repeated violation of our rules may result in additional suspensions, decreased distribution of your posts, and potential suspension of your account.

It doesn't say what or who is suspended. I am assuming for the moment just the post itself which when clicked on says

This story is under investigation or was found to be in violation of Medium rules Edit story.

But doesn't say whether I'm supposed to edit or not. [I haven't.] I think it's just a minor brouhaha but we shall have to see.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

On a more cheerful note, this morning I also got this response

Nigel Hare wrote:
FasF my friend. I have just spent the last 30 minutes reading through some of your pieces. I think I may have become a fan. Don't worry I will not be inviting you to lunch anytime soon.

Dunno what FasF is and in case you're equally baffled by the lunch reference it was because of the piece what I wrote:
--------------------

Fans Are Not People.
They are better not met in the flesh

It may come as a surprise to you — it always comes as a surprise to me — but I have fans. I don’t mean in the Medium sense of happy clappers and I’ll-follow-you if you-follow-me opportunists. Welcome though they may be. I mean fans in the ordinary sense of people who read a book of mine and write to me to say what a fabulous book it was. Not a vast number but enough to make sweeping generalisations about them.

A proportion ask whether I would like to break bread with them at some convenient time and locale. I always accept, not because I like dining out, but because who can resist hearing one’s finer points being dissected and praised over a decent saddle of lamb? Not me. It can be egg and chips for all I care.

It never works out that way. Not once in twenty odd years. They talk and they talk and they talk. I am bewildered. I am not bored. What they have to say is always mildly riveting for an hour or two, but all the time I’m saying to myself, since I haven’t got anyone else to say it to, “I thought I was supposed to be star of this show.” They are not even curious about my non-finer points. We certainly never get round to the finer points of my writing.

If I had invited one of my heroes to dine — say, Baroness Warsi or Mikel Arteta — and they had graciously acceded to my wish, would I spend three courses telling them all about me? I’ve got a nasty feeling I would.
------------------
Grant

I was banned from Twitter for hoping that both the Labour and Conservative Party would kill themselves.
I appealed on the grounds that I wasn't promoting suicide, just being metaphorical, but to no avail.

Eventually Elon bought Twitter and rescued me.
Mick Harper
Site Admin

I wouldn't spend that kind of money just to help out a friend.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 175, 176, 177, 178, 179  Next

Jump to:  
Page 176 of 179

MemberlistThe Library Index  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in